Taiwan tax revenue will exceed targets by NT$355 billion

Reviving this very interesting thread to note that government tax revenue in Taiwan will reportedly exceed targets by NT$355 billion (!).

How do forumosans think these funds should be used?

https://twitter.com/RadioTaiwan_Eng/status/1607346566112903168

Guy

4 Likes

Increase funding to schools so that the brand new air conditioners at public schools can be turned on seeing as they spent the money buying them

10 Likes

I liked this post for sincerity—but I’ve been here long enough to know that equipment purchases are budgeted separatedly from electricity bills at public institutions. I’ve seen piles of things like dehumidifiers sitting around collecting dust, never used . . . “because electricity costs money”!

Guy

2 Likes

Seems they are talking about more stimulus vouchers…

2 Likes

On Monday, the acting finance minister Juan Ching-hwa (阮清華) said there are no current plans to do this and instead priority will be given to repaying government debts

Don’t repay government debts, stupid idiots.

1 Like

Put it back in pensions.

2 Likes

You’re so right, Taiwan government are minted, they shouldn’t make same mistake as rest of the world on Pensions.
Times go bad oh sorry we don’t have the money, what shall we do?

2 Likes

Sidewalks!!!

12 Likes

Traffic first, they can’t afford to keep losing people

Population second, if they don’t get a grip on this the Chinese can just move in to an empty island in 50 years

Defence third, the Chinese are marching steadily towards being able to take the island and although I’m comfortable that the US and Japan are filling the gap for the next 5 years, I don’t think Taiwan can rely on the blood and treasure of other nations indefinitely. Especially if they’re not seen to be committed to their own security

7 Likes

Taiwan’s government budget is super low lol. Tax revenue is low so government budget is minuscule. Nobody wants to pay more taxes.

clean the air, clean the water

5 Likes

Investing in kids. Kids are future. Start with kindergarten and AC in schools.

I’d agree with this if it didn’t mean that that would be money sitting somewhere waiting for sticky fingers to get at. Maybe a one time “Sorry you got lied to about your 30 - 40 years of easy street after you retired” payment.

The Tsai government has already committed to this:

https://taiwantoday.tw/news.php?unit=10&post=180888

Guy

2 Likes

Support families without any stupid rules. Just plain sufficient monthly payment for each child until the age of 18 or longer if they are still studying in Taiwan. Currently Taiwanese government thinks kids don’t need support after the age of 5.
More young people will consider starting a family.

Make huge revamp of road infrastructure. Redesign city roads for people not for cars. More sidewalks, more trees, less road surface.
Will create jobs and make cities safer.

Invest more in clean energy. Every suitable roof should have solar power.
Cleaner air, less pollution.

18 Likes

Current payments are too small to make a dent.

3 Likes

You got my vote when you running?

7 Likes

Solar Power: I saw farm land or ex farms covered with Solar, while car parks are not covered in KaoPing basin area, so yes cover homes and buildings.

Also Taiwan should keep some money in case of a depression (Econ). California has massive surplus much bigger than Taiwan, but may not have a surplus in 2023, with inflation and lower tax income forcast in 2023, so Taiwan should think about it. Inflation already hitting food and some basics, after long period of low increases.

Solar right now makes up about 14.54% of the electricity generated in Taiwan. 4 days ago, when it was both sunny and windy, solar plus wind generated 600GW, which was 24% of the total power output.

11 Likes

Every little helps, wind power great for an island. Problem need lots of em.
Wind turbines on mountains may not look good but they’ll do the job.

1 Like