Taiwan tax revenue will exceed targets by NT$355 billion

Unless someone at the news got their zeros in the wrong place again Evergreen marine made a net profit last year similar to this whole govt surplus

Give the money back to the people
Prioritize money back more to the low income people

2 Likes

Just saw that as well.

Iā€™m guessing that resident, tax-paying foreigners wonā€™t be getting anything back again, yeah?

5 Likes

Sounds about par for the course

3 Likes

Ya guys not low income yo

Did they pay more in taxes?

Oh? And what flavor of foreigner have your focused your bias on? Thai? Malay? Canadian? Austropean?

Donā€™t go all Karl Marx on us, Tbone. ā€œHelp the poor. Not you. Those poor!ā€

3 Likes

Youā€™re so generous with other peopleā€™s money! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

1 Like

Read @hansiouxā€™s reply, they clarify the quoted number is an instantaneous estimate.

That was during a specific timeā€¦ Not overall

Annual overall is 6%, and weā€™ve barely tapped into any green energy as of 2022.

Yeah I disagree with this move.

Thereā€™s a good chance Taiwanese people are just going to save most of the money.

She should start an ā€œI bought thisā€ selfie campaign.

1 Like

Personally Iā€™m planning on paying less taxes going forward! And moving my companies to (legal) offshore structures as many local Taiwanese have done.

3 Likes

Way to hollow out Taiwan!

Just like the USA is debating a flat tax which might end up being more fair only if we can stop tax evasion by the rich

The salaried people donā€™t get a chance to under report as easily as business owners can in Taiwan and probably the USA

Hence my view and donā€™t worry I donā€™t have any power ā€¦. Is that this tax windfall should be distributed back not according to how much taxes paid but instead reverse
Proportional

On the very possibly true assumption that the big tax payers have already underreported much of their actual income through un taxed capital gains underreported rent etc

Tax evasion being rampant in Taiwan for those other than salaried workers

Argue on ā€¦

2 Likes

Yes Austropean :smiley_cat:

Iā€™m against giving people money for nothing but not against giving money to those in need.

I like that Taiwanā€™s social security system (labor insurance) is designed to support the working class. Those who have never worked and families never worked are left behind. I think more could be done for those born with serious diseases here but no system is perfect.

People earning money from a system they did not contribute to breeds laziness and entitlement. The lack of this form of laziness and entitlement is a reason I like living here so much. I hope Taiwan never goes down this path.

I donā€™t agree that any cash back should be proportional to tax paid but I donā€™t believe those who paid no tax should be able to benefit either. A reason I live here is low taxes. Australia has high taxes which a large portion of are passed on to generationally unemployed people, itā€™s infuriating. The Labor Party has de facto become the Unemployment Party.

These are just my personal beliefs but I understand itā€™s a touchy subject and people have different views.

7 Likes

One problem with labor insurance is that enforcement is really not that good. There are lots of people who worked for decades who werenā€™t enrolled into labor insurance (One cleaning lady was on the news for this).

Also another problem is the houkou system means there are a LOT of people who deserves government assistance but werenā€™t getting it.

This is actually one reason why they wanted a universal cash thing, and also the covid assistance in 2020 and 2021 had to have no requirement to live in your houkou because of this.

2 Likes

Enforcement of anything here is really not that good.
I take it upon myself to ensure my labor rights are upheld cos no one else will thatā€™s for sure

3 Likes

I am very similar with much of what you said. But I have to comment on how terrible Taiwan is if you arent able bodied. Even in hospitals the nurses dont do jack shit. The entire society is setup around either paying a lot for caregivers or requiring family. So it is no wonder certain negative traditions about family units never change.

A good system for a healthy populace. but Taiwan is in a mad rush to make people unhealthy (work safety, food safety, pollution, traffic etc). Taiwan could do well do be a bit more social politically

1 Like

Agreed.

The Houkou really needs to disappear and a new system from scratch put in place.

1 Like