Taiwan Taxes

Went there to get the access code. Still like it to do at home. :slight_smile:

I donā€™t have to take off time from work if I do it myself with the software.

Take time off of work vs deal with 20 year old software

Tough choice.

Iā€™ve done both. Neither are fun.

1 Like

The 20 year old software still works just fine. Only takes a few minutes, can even do it during work on a work-issued computer! So Iā€™ve heardā€¦ :whistle:

1 Like

Whatā€™s this sorcery that you speak ofā€¦

I did that too in the first few years I was here, then I found out what I could have been claiming deductions for and realised I was overpaying my taxes by a large percentage as the helpful people in the tax office just put down the bare minimums on the one page ā€œsimpleā€ form. Luckily I was allowed to back date 3 years of taxes and ended up with the equivalent of half a years extra salary in refunds. Donā€™t let other people do your taxes for you unless youā€™re paying them to do so and trust them!

2 Likes

Especially because the young friendly people there are likely all volunteers, not necessarily experts in tax filing. Not sure how much training they have received.

Look, when I said heading over to the Tax Office on Zhonghua Road is helpful, I didnā€™t mean that this is a substitute for actually learning about what you can deduct. I always fill out my own form before handing things over to them. To their credit, they have at times adjusted my numbersā€“in my favour! But of course I am responsible for having the details and receipts ready for exemptions and deductions. If youā€™ve been in Taiwan more than 183 days in 2017, you should be too.

Guy

Actually, if you bring all that info with you theyā€™ll do that part tooā€¦of course take the deductions you are entitled to.

Doing the e-filing right now. On the last page ā€œCalculation and uploadā€. I donā€™t see any ā€œUploadā€ button. Am I missing something?

I tried e-filing a few years ago from home and it was a total tech disaster. Iā€™m going to attempt it again this year. Crossing my fingersā€¦

1 Like

In this time and age, not upgrading the software every year is kind of mind-boggling. If the software is that old the security measures are probably not up to the latest standards either.

Still trying to find the Upload button. The help file is of zero helpā€¦ Need to go into the Chinese version I guess.

1 Like

If you canā€™t see the upload button, it means thereā€™s a required field you havenā€™t completed yet.

Filed mine on Monday, but didnā€™t pay attention to the location of the upload button. I want to say it was on the bottom left. But there was no hunting around or any need to check the help file nor the Chinese version.

Iā€™m thinking, user-error. Come on, people, itā€™s not rocket science. Took all of 5-10 minutes.

Dr. Milkmaid might be on to something, make sure you checked the boxes on how you would like to receive your return. I believe that was on the same page as the ā€œuploadā€ button.

Will try again tonight. I did it last year without problems. Maybe itā€™s userā€™s age. :roll_eyes:

1 Like

Add oil!

1 Like

I have got to stop saying this to my poor students. Most know Iā€™m joking, but some do not.

4 Likes

Youā€™ve already come out to us as ā€œgender fluidā€. What are we supposed to call you?

Heyā€¦ How much could I get deducted from the rent? Mine is low I guess but still interestedā€¦