Taiwan Taxes

Thanks. And I guess logically, partial payment by credit card would be okay. That’s good to know.

Partial… I am not sure.

1 Like

I called my bank (CTBC) as i have a credit card with them, and i asked if i could use my credit card to pay for my tax. The guy on the other end told me that since i don’t have a Taiwanese spouse, i could not pay my tax with my credit card. It sounded really really weird, is this correct?

Why would you even ask your bank? Wouldn’t the tax office just use any card you give them?

1 Like

No, not all Taiwan credit card is part of the tax payment program

1 Like

CTBC is one of the banks that accepts tax payments (I’ve done it there). It’s hard to believe that they’ve set up a system to specifically restrict this service to the few foreigners who both have a CTBC credit card and don’t have a Taiwanese spouse, if only because they’d first need to be cognizant of the fact that foreigners live in Taiwan while designing the system, which rarely happens.

Why don’t you just try using the card to pay and see what happens? The worst case scenario is that it simply doesn’t work and you have to pay another way, which is the situation you’re currently in if you follow what the bank employee told you.

2 Likes

My understanding is that if you file electronically, then the credit card option is available. We always go to the office (or my wife does anyway).

1 Like

I’m all about the single annual cash payment. I find it makes the experience feel more visceral.

3 Likes

i find paying off my credit card after i charge something on it more visceral too… oh yes, i earn points!

OK, dumb question: how do I pay my taxes with a credit card? Can I just go to a 7-11 and use LINE for that? Or can I go to CTBC (I’ve got a credit card with them) and pay with my credit card there? Or is this just an option for paying taxes online, which I’ve never done and will probably never do?

The points, baby, the points! (Maybe. Last year the taxes deducted were uncannily accurate, and I only had to pay an additional few hundred dollars. I haven’t calculated this year yet.)

ypu probably wont get points for tax payments. its usually only for “real” consumption.

1 Like

based on what i’ve read so far, you can’t pay tax with your credit card via 7-11, you have to pay cash in 7-11, i think the same goes when you go to a bank branch (i might be wrong). As @marasan mentioned, you can only pay with your credit card when you use the e-filing system (software that you download into your PC/Mac), or you can go to this website - https://paytax.nat.gov.tw/ and input all the necessary information for when paying online with your credit card

3 Likes

What are the benefits of paying taxes with a credit card?
A 1. Easy to use: As long as the taxpayer uses a credit card issued by a bank that has joined the tax payment service, the tax payment can be completed by calling or surfing the Internet, and no additional application is required.

1. Deferred payment: Use a credit card to pay tax, you can wait until you receive the bill before paying the tax, and enjoy the benefits of deferred payment.

2. Convenient fund scheduling: People who need to apply for tax-paying loans from banks have more options for credit card tax payment, and fund scheduling is more flexible.

3. Accumulate bonus points: At present, most of the card-issuing banks offer bonuses, cash rewards or mileage rewards. Therefore, paying taxes with a credit card can quickly accumulate points and exchange for cash or mileage rewards.

4. Payment security: You do not need to carry a large amount of cash to pay at the counter, which greatly improves payment security.

5. No time limit: payment can be made within 24 hours during the settlement declaration period.

3 Likes

https://paytax.nat.gov.tw/FAQ.aspx?CATALOG=EB.SE.FAQ.Dictionary.Card

1 Like

Occasionally my spouse or friends will wonder why I go to a bank rather than a convenience store for things like paying off credit card bills. I know, I know, paying a 25,000 bill in the 7-11 is pretty safe, but I don’t think I’ll ever feel comfortable handing over that much cash in a convenience store.

i learned something new today.
i oaid tuition with a credit card, and dodnt get any points, Cathay bank told me points are only for consumption, and not tuition or bills.

that’s just silly, one of my colleagues paid for her insurance using her CTBC LinePay co-branded credit card and she got like 10K worth of Line points. There’s so much ambiguity with banks here in Taiwan, not complaining, just facts

Does the tax payment still count against the credit card’s limit? Any chance to get a limit increase for that purpose? :thinking:

Any tips for credit cards which give points or good rewards for the tax payment?

Only time I’ve noticed not getting points here is when I bought something on an installment plan - i.e. air conditioners paid for over three months, rather than all at once. Which I regretted, because it would have been a lot of points, and I had no need to pay by installment.

But unfortunately there’s a ton of stuff (especially insurance) that’s on my wife’s credit card, not mine, ostensibly due to the hassles of banking while foreign, but perhaps she’s just seeking points.

as far as i know, tax payment count against your credit limit - perhaps you can call your bank for a limit increase or go to their website and login with your credentials. I always see an option there for request to “increase credit limit”