Taiwan, third best place for expats

Thailand and Malaysia are very expat friendly with warm climate and high affordability.

1 Like

Better economy here, higher salaries and more job opportunities. I would expect a 50% paycut if I moved back to Thailand (better food, though)

How could a country that has barely let anyone in the last 2+ years be rated as the best place for expats to come to? What a load of rubbish. And Taiwan, in terms of job opportunities, wages, housing costs, geopolitical security, general quality of living, is much worse than even 6 years ago when I first came here.

3 Likes

When they say expats, I am guessing they mean people with a full blown expat package including generous allowances for housing, etc.

All foreigners working in Taiwan are technically expats. But there are expats and then there are EXPATS.

1 Like

Nope, this survey also deals with jobs and looks at the complete foreigner experience. Still, Taiwan seems overrated.

1 Like

This survey is only for members of this organization I assume? Very selective.

2 Likes

If that’s the case then yeah I agree. Quite a few people on the selection committee must be fans of 牛肉éș”.

Mexico is considered one of the worst places to work. Are they confusing expat with holiday? Also, Taiwan isn’t cheap if you’re from the Midwest.

1 Like

As an expat? Why’s that? I know a guy who hated Taiwan (he stayed in Thailand as well), but loves Mexico and has been there for years. I wouldn’t want to work there as an uneducated Mexican, and in my field wages.would be low, but for food, people, and weather it’s a very nice place to be (I’m told)

Taipei isn’t cheap if you try to live like you’re in the Midwest, but generally living expenses and taxes are low in Taiwan

1 Like

First place in the world? They probably just recruited for the survey on r/taiwan, underneath a photo of Taipei 101 from Elephant Mountain. These surveys are always bullshit anyway.

7 Likes

Yeah, there is this

1 Like

The website is a expat membership program. What every that is.

I’ve heard of it in previous places I’ve lived. Might even have been invited to a meeting once or twice (don’t think I attended). I think it’s been around for years.

Too evangelical for my taste. Reading the website gave me timeshare vibrations.

Looks not unlike Forumosa, but not just focused on one country and probably missing our unique combinations of posters :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Could be. I tend to get a bit creeped out by organizations such as this as well. Probably why I likely didn’t go.

1 Like

Yeah, but on here we’re not obliged to actually meet and go for an evening of opera followed by a walk through the night market with Christian families on expat packages. :grin:

3 Likes

That sounds terrible

1 Like

Indonesia is also not seen as an expat haven, atrocious traffic for one.