Taiwan, third best place for expats

So it seems mate, so it seems…. :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

Posting this here because I feel it fits:

Not sure if it’s actually the same survey and they chose to publish another article on one of the subcategories

This website would be interring to see via a vpn. Would the arrive give you a different result? :face_with_monocle:

New Zealand is bloody expensive, they probably couldn’t afford to do anything.

I don’t know about Mexico, but I can see how life can be VERY comfortable in countries like Indonesia if you’ve got the right package. Traffic jam? Not really a problem if you’ve got a driver. Cooking, etc? Not a problem if you can afford an army of maids.

Health care in Indonesia is SHI*** though. If you have a really serious situation, you’ll probably need a medevac to Singapore. I mean it’s very unlikely, but when you need it, it can be very expensive. Also, Singapore was closed for 2 years. Can that happen again in the future? No one can tell.

1 Like

The right package has good health insurance, don’t you think ?

Yeah, but as I said if Singapore is not open, it’s not open. The insurance does not cover that scenario.

Good enough insurance will cover a lot of scenarios…

That’s what I thought, but that’s wrong. Otherwise this won’t happen: Billionaire Google co-founder a NZ resident, admits government, amid anger at special waiver for son | Daily Mail Online

No insurance in the world can override a country’s sovereignty. There’s also the question of how critical the situation is. Say you are an American, and you can freely go back to America for a medical emergency, but if you need to be operated within 3 hours, you are screwed if you live in Indonesia, and Singapore does not let you in.

This is an issue if every country with better health care than Indonesia closes their borders, yes

In this specific case, yes

Anyways, I’m sure you’re right that health care is generally better here in Taiwan. And yes, good insurance can’t cover every possibility in Indonesia. I’m surprised there isn’t a private hospital in Jakarta catering to the rich and powerful, but I’ve never lived there so there is much I don’t know

The rich and powerful in Indonesia store quite a little bit of wealth in Singapore. In normal times, they would go to Singapore perhaps once a month at least? Go there for a little bit of shopping, perhaps do a medical check up at the same time, etc, etc. Never in their wildest dreams did they ever think that a pandemic might happen.

Internations is a money making machine for the founders. Members usually wannabe successful, so wannabe on the full expat package while actually being part of the I wanted a big career but missed the return home date and on a small salary just a bit over the local average…

Didn’t seem to exist in Taiwan even so I doubt more than 5 people filled up that questionnaire in Taiwan. Newspaper like to pick up any free content that people push out so don’t ask about quality of research…

1 Like

Every country is good in some ways and shite in some ways. And after honeymoon period is over, its pretty common to see nothing but complains and thats when we start becoming like locals. One of the best ways i break ice with locals in taiwan is bitch about the things here and its beautiful how we all connect together as one.

I am pretty sure such surveys are done to like minority of expats who just recently landed in Taiwan and are in aww of the things around them.

1 Like

I assume the people who voted for Taiwan in this survey are young and aren’t thinking so much about saving towards a pension or providing for a family. I really think that if you don’t have those kinds of responsibilities, and you have a reasonably well-paid job for a company with reasonable perks, Taiwan is a brilliant place for expats. Climate aside (which is, admittedly, very bad compared to some other popular East-Asian expat destinations), I struggle to think of what place could realistically be better. Problems only really start to arise when you want to move up the career ladder and save up a nest for your home country, but this article is talking about expats and not immigrants. As I understand it, an expat works abroad short term.

2 Likes

Still a problem believe me. This survey puts Taiwan near the top every year.Same ole same ole.

They’re adorable
images

2 Likes

Bubble tea so goo…we no need dolla.

Interesting. I don’t buy those rankings (e.g. how does Italy get in the bottom 10???!!!)

But, I appreciate that graphic. You can clearly see a cluster of countries in one area: SE Asia. Food for thought if you are looking for a base in case it doesn’t work out in one particular country and need to make a move elsewhere.

Yes here it’s young English teachers without any money. Or what are you trying to get at? You don’t have a sizeable cadre of well paid professionals as in HK or SG.