Taiwan to ban single use plastic straws

P_20190613_094837_vHDR_Auto

download%20(12)

Slightly used vintage plastic straw for sale, 30nt

1 Like

That’s utterly stupid.

Vast majority of plastics are burned or buried. Even in Taiwan large majority is burned for fuel I believe . Which is acceptable but they shouldnt try to fool the public about recycling so much.

1 Like

I hate the straw argument. I think it would be good to have entrepreneurs sell really cool stainless steel straws and to get to the place that using plastic straws is looked down upon rather than ban them outright. Politicians are simply virtue signalling to their constituents that they are DOING SOMETHING and people believe they can’t refuse a product unless it’s banned.

3 Likes

Jeez, that reminds me of JimmiP on Taiwanease having a glorious rant at someone selling some worthless junk on there …hehe … it was an awesome thread

I added the word “vintage”. That’s a guaranteed sale right there. I spent 25nt to get the drink, then my own hard work adds 5nt to the value of the straw. It’s a win-win situation, especially when you consider it’s a time limited Hello Kitty themed straw.

edit: fuck me, i left the drink on the bus. Well, i’ll have to buy another one later on.

I fear that you may have missed the “ sensible” bus , years ago :thinking::joy:

Stainless steel straws have been available for years.

Yes though you have to make them attractive to use and plastic straws something that are unfashionable and crude. The most successful smoking prevention campaigns were when smoking or dipping was made to look dirty and uncool for kids. Similarly, when you see young women using the multi-use bubble tea bags or cute canvas bags instead of plastic, it’s possible they are doing so due to their environmental concerns but more likely due to the fact they are attractive.

1 Like

Good point…Any ideas ?
I have been involved in the design and sales of environmental products before actually .
There’s a lot of challenges to replace disposable products because they are often quite well made and have some benefit in the first place e.g. semi sterile , sterile.

It’s the reason why removing plastic packaging in supermarkets is a pipe dream at present .

Now in many cases a straw isn’t necessary I guess and certainly carrying your own straw isn’t difficult , but keeping it clean may be more of a challenge. Designing a pretty steel straw is probably pretty easy.

1 Like

I saw a pair of steel straws last weekend that were $300 and $600 though when I went on Amazon, similar models were something like 4 for USD$12 and I’ve received 3 (?) chopstick/straw sets in the past year for gifts so imagine that companies buying such items will increase demand and, perhaps, making it more likely that people use them?

I do know that they kids I know are so much better about anything environmentally than older generations so perhaps that’s the place to start.

A lot of mothers buy them for their kids as they care about cleanliness when eating out . Also waste.
As I have experience of this area I can tell you the biggest reason to buy such products is to give as gifts to other people.
So they have to look nice and pretty. That’s quite a big difference with the West and also creates challenges because packaging is a big part of what makes a gift look nice. Too little packaging, not impressive . Too much…complaints. Use plastic for the packaging…Hard to avoid sometimes.

1 Like

People probably should see such products used in movies and TV shows and on YouTube. Things like lobbying YouTubers in Taiwan probably would be more influential than we think.

1 Like

My wife does things for environmental reasons. Silicon bags instead of plastic. Shops in local markets if possible. Reuses…everything.

I rarely do anything for the environment and really don’t think of it that much though if my life was audited for impact, probably wouldn’t appear to be a monster. I don’t own a car because I dislike driving. I carry my own chopsticks because I don’t like to use utensils that others have used. I use a stainless steel razor because I dislike Gillette and like things that last forever. I think that a lot of problems will lie in people making similar decisions though perhaps I’m simply consuming in another way.

1 Like

YouTube and FB is extremely influential from local celebs. They know this and get paid for it.

If we just return to the way many lived a few decades ago , even our parents generation, it’s not that difficult…Except for the washable diapers. That would be tough.

1 Like

Does online delivery help?

When we return from Costco, I’m appalled by the amount of rubbish that needs to be tossed simply from opening a package. It’s simply used for display purposes and to prevent theft though could be eliminated if delivered directly to users. Of course then you have further packaging in boxes, not to mention the actual deliveries in cars and on scooters.

1 Like

I agree with issues of online delivery. It seems very wasteful in many cases due to the excess packaging .

Yeah, my grandparents had the same toaster for 50 years. It still works. I dislike shopping and this kind of thing appeals to me.

50 year old toaster :hushed:.
My grandparents had what we call ‘ranges’ heated by coal, wood or turf (peat). You can use then to cook, bake and heat your house. They might be fifty years old or more too. But they created a lot of smoke! They have passed on but the ranges are still there.:sleepy:

1 Like