Taiwan to lift ractopamine restrictions

The labels don’t really tell you how your meat was actually produced. Most people, if they saw industrial pork production first hand, would vomit. And that’s true no matter whether the pork came from the US, Taiwan or anywhere else.

1 Like

To be honest, that’s why I’ve always said I don’t want to know where that delicious bacon in front of me came from as I know I’ll never enjoy it the same way again.

2 Likes

True. I’d be a vegetarian if I had to kill my own food or see how it is produced on the larger scales. I grew up in the countryside so seeing people raise a few pigs, cows, chickens for their own consumption was fairly common.

Freaking idiots.

Why are you so vested in Taiwanese eating American pork

1 Like

I also think why the big vested interest in American Pork lobby which is led by Smithfield Foods , a China owned company. It’s like behind the back way for China is disrupt the Taiwan food chain so I wonder why the push for a huge China company. Why not help the grain farmers in the states or Aussie one who feed many of Taiwan’s pigs and feel the backlash of China?

[The Chinese Billionaire Whose Company Owns Troubled Pork Processor Smithfield Foods (forbes.com)]

I want the free trade agreement.

Possibly. What I dont understand is that 160 countries and health officials in those countries reject Ractopamine and say that there is not enough long-term studies in its safety. I understand that the US government has to appease powerful agricultural lobbies and industrial farming complex, but wouldnt it just be better if the US just complied with global standards than this litany of global outrages and panics on the road to trade deals. Would be so much easier and better in terms of optics for the US.

Everyone does, but there is no indication will lead to one. Im sure US officials dont give a fuck if people buy the pork, they just need to appease agricultural lobbies.

1 Like

I’m afraid the American pork lobby might cry non-tariff barrier!/Taiwan is trying to backdoor/weasel it’s way out.

There are indications we’d have a free trade agreement. For one, the trade representative is Taiwanese-American and she’s known to be tough on China, and has agreed with some of Trump’s policies on China trade.

You cant FORCE people to eat something they don’t want. Taiwan is a free democratic country with self-respect.

You just made that up and have no idea on the status of any trade deal or what removing import restrictions for American pork represents on getting down the road to negotiations.

Im surprised Deep Green Trumpophiles havent jumped on that angle yet. They have been knee-deep in QAnon conspiracy for months already. Today I read online after Arnold Schwarzenegger’s video that they suspect him might be bought out by the CCP

No… But legalisation is one of the easiest things to do, conceding very little and letting market forces decide if they want the pork or not.

Tanning salons and beds are both legal in Taiwan but market preferences tell me that setting one up is probably a very stupid decision.

Trade deals dont work that way, they are about give and take rather than market forces.

Right. We gave without giving up.

We concede by opening up the market to American pork.

Taiwanese consumers largely reject it.

We can say, look, we opened it. Not our fault if they don’t like it.

They get what they want, we increase our bargaining power. We give up nothing but the ink on the paper.

You just made that up and have no idea on the status of any trade deal or what removing import restrictions for American pork represents on getting down the road to negotiations.
[/quote]

haha, interesting posting. I do wonder why this American or Chinese person lobbies this one issue on Pork when there are so many other much bigger trade issues at hand. He/she is not in Taiwan so I guess does not know the general Pro-Taiwanese feelings and as result just makes things worse. It’s very Chinese way show of force so it makes me wonder. Smarter way would be keep a low profile and use the low price advantage. So this why I think this person has interests from China or this company.

What are you talking about? Everyone knows that, the information is out there even if you’re not an insider.

US stopped trade talks with Taiwan over the pork issue.

1 Like

As its gone on for ten years, with Chen, Ma and Tsai all trying to push through the issue with a pile of resistance, its safe to say that both parties wanted to do this when in power but the public clearly doesnt.

I think most moderates were resigned but not happy about the easing of restrictions. But as Taipei councilor and Youtuber, Froggy Chiu said, the provisos were:

1. The government is required to manage properly

2. Explain clearly to the populace regarding the decision

3. Make sure labelling is clear and consumers are able to identify the Racto Pork

4. We need to know what we are getting in exchange for this concession.

Because at the end of the day, nobody was going to buy it anyway

Where? Is that true? Where are you getting your information from? US always tries to push the pork issue with every country.

What people want to know is what the chances of are a trade deal because of this

1 Like

Oh well. Guess they learned we can’t have our cake and eat it too.

If push comes to shove…I’m sure the greens would prefer to have things that push towards sovereignty.

Right!

So market forces can choose if they want to buy it or not.