Taiwan to lift ractopamine restrictions

Sounds like an epithet…

2 Likes

Is that the digital version of Mr. Koreas tramp stamp?

Continued opposition to the lifting of US pork import restrictions. Headline coverage on Taiwan news stations focus on the proposed referendums to keep the restrictions on US pork.

Ugh. Go jump in a lake, Ko.

1 Like

Perhaps thats a smart way of regulating something without affecting international cooperations?

Taiwan has laws regulating this drug domestically as well, i wonder how bad it will blow back in their face haha. Of course it wont, pork industry is pretty strong and insanely corrupt. Banning imported pork based on this will directly affect locally produced pork. If teated. It is all a farce.

Let the importsin, allow free market to dictate demand. get better trade deals and military equipment and support and have a hope in fighting the buggest enemy the world has seen. I am strongly anti growth hormone, but this is a no brainer. The whole thing is clearly farce…kmt must be more worried than we thought.

1 Like

1-2 years before starting to talk about it? Cmon.

Taipei City Mayor Ke Wenzhe has recently reignited the ractopamine debate by claiming that lifting of rules will enable not just the US, but the entire world to export ractopamine products to Taiwan. So far the DPP Premier has refused to comment, and for that Ke publically implied that the Premier has dementia.

Watch Mayor Ke fail to defend his own positions as City Councilor Miao Po-ya questions his logic.

If Taiwan proceed to managed imported pork the same way we’ve monitored imported beef, there is only one loop hole left where average consumers would be striped of choice to avoid ractopamine, which is currently the law is ambiguous regarding if mixed local and import pork product can be labeled as locally produced.

1 Like

Dunce question here: Is the laijiyang pork he refers to ractopamine raised pork?

Most of the time they just called it laizhu (萊豬), short for laikeduobaan zhu 萊克巴胺豬.

3 Likes

Cheers. I think we need to shorten the damn thing in English too…

To be fair, on the side of the anti (US) porkers. Labelling laws allow things that are cut, dried, mixed, powdered etc to be labelled as made in taiwan. This style of law regarding product origin is common worldwide. I suspect taiwan might be working on this side of things as well pretty soon. But this should be seen as an FDA labelling law more than an import/trade law.

Some things coming soon would be ingredients needing, in brackets, their country of origin. For example your tofu is almoat 100% not grown in taiwan either. Most is gmo and sprayed to high heavens. Newer changes will almost certainly require the label to state the ingredients and origin. such as: soy bean (China), salt (Taiwan) etc. This should not only help,the consumer know original product origin but sifferentiate between countries :wink:

Different countries have different labeling laws. For example America has rather loose “made in USA” labeling laws… that allows TV to be labeled “made in USA” (or more accurately, a big American flag on the box, but says “assembled in the USA”) even though that TV is actually made in China or elsewhere.

Yes, exactly. My above examples are about taiwan specifically though. My personal experience is with food production and fda, so not sure how it would work with say your industry of a finished guitar. Though i suspect it is fairly similar.

This has, in part, led to the rise of corrupt middle countries, like Singapore, being famous for rewriting product origins. Importing wood sometimes gets transitted through there since China has become more strict. Though most poor coutrys’ governments dont mind changing the paperwork themselves and saving the middleman fee. For food, Singapore is a big one for taiwanese imports. Lots of corruption and problems in this industry which is why it is always good to ask the manufacturer for details. No company will reveal their sources, but any honest company will not have a problem stating country of origin as we all are supposed to have a one step forward/one step back styled tracing system in place. at the very least, for the government to audit when there are complaints. Taiwanese jealousy has made these laws actually enforcable in the last decade. Getting to the point of too far actually, though you wouldnt think it with so many old school thinkers around selling contaminated expired pig food.

Everybody on Forumosa needs to show leadership by eating American pork after Jan. 1.

Ugh.

I hope this means the price of boston butt will be lowered. Man they are expensive here!

No , No, No ! Support local Taiwan Pork. What leadership is this showing, just makes Taiwanese hate Americans more to push what seems like small value item. Here in Southern Taiwan I see many shops, cafes, ect say they use Taiwanese Pork. I saw some Smithfield Pork (A China-USA company BTW) from Virginia USA in the market with no buyers last week, there is no demand if locals know it’s American. There is reason sellers try hid it’s American. (I had a Taiwanese girl mention why rednecks in Virginia trying to export this here when most people d not want it)

1 Like

Are you working for some US meat industry lobby group?

This refrain honestly gets tired, and fast.

Guy

3 Likes

I agree !! Should do poll to see people here prefer Taiwanese or American pork.

2 Likes

Gross. Chemically laced pork :frowning:

As long as it’s labelled with huge fines for noncompliance, i say let it in. The public will just refuse to buy it and hopefully they’ll get the hint and stop exporting it.
Although on second thought since so many companies show they can’t be trusted (the fake mask issue) it’s probably a bad idea to let it in at all.

2 Likes