Taiwan to lift ractopamine restrictions

Once a free trade agreemebt is inked, I’ll shut up.

1 Like

So you are a “lobby group” staff? You will not be quiet till the Yanks and Chinese meat company gets what they and you want, not what Taiwanese want

2 Likes

No.

Everyone on earth needs to stop eating farmed pork for the sake of morality and the environment.

4 Likes

What about hunting feral hogs?

Thats exactly why i particularly said -farmed- pigs. Invasive wild pigs should be shot, not poisoned, and eaten. Absolutely. This taiwan vs US pork thing based on a cintrolled hormone that nearly all pig feed producers use as well is so far beyond retarded it is actually difficult to even talk about without anger. Politics and corruption. Otherwise they can all go fuck themselves, the corrupt wastes of our oxygen that they are. To think this actually prevented, on the face of things, arms sales to protect us from.china shows how deeply retarded (meaning.actually.mentally impaired) these fucktards really are. Few times do i become speehless base on stupidity, but this is one time that i actually became ju dian dao ji dian in my true heart. Pardon the bastardized pinyin.

2 Likes

politicians aren’t stupid. But I feel this whole ractopamine pork has more to do with protecting domestic pig farms than any issue with import pork. Restrictions are meant to protect domestic industry against foreign products that are so cheap that it would destroy industry. I think the issue at stake is that American pork is so cheap that it would cause the price of pork in Taiwan to crash and therefore pig farms going out of business.

And politicians know this, so they fight hard even if they know the reasoning is retarded. And the whole ractopamine thing is for the gullible who don’t actually know what’s at stake and thinks there’s no difference.

Just like slavery in America at its founding. It was such a touchy subject not because of any moral issues, but that people owned a lot of slaves and would become destitute if slavery were outlawed.

Almost every political subject out there is an economic issue, not moral or ethical.

Which begs the question, suppose every westerners were to flock to Taiwan and all wanted to teach english, so now the hourly wage of teaching hours (not including unpaid prep times, meetings and workshops) were around 150 an hour, would you be in favor of immigration restrictions?

False. American beef is cheap, American pork isn’t.

3 Likes

Canadians f ing up the whole argument once again…

2 Likes

No, they arent stupid. They are short sighted and insanely selfish. So actually, that by definition makes them stupid…

For sure they are protecting the pork industry here. Not the richest sector, but right up there with fisherie and mining when it comes to moral lackness. They do horrible things and many are scared to cross them. For good reasons. From the bottom of the barrel procesors right up to massive international corporations like tsingtao beer. Lots of fingers in the pie. Hence, for the sake of plant earthvstop eating pork. Regardless of politics, its a dirty corrupt useless industry that should just F right off and never be seen again.

1 Like

Well the other thing is also these pork farm owners may have mafia thugs to kidnap politicians who are for American pork and feed him to pigs…

So if you can’t cross them without consequence then how would you fight that?

:rofl: we’re in Taiwan! Nobody is going to kidnap a politician in Taiwan, it’d be front page news for weeks. Nobody as big as a politician would disappear without anyone noticing and it’d be an incredibly stupid move by alleged organised crime members.

1 Like

Well… back in the 1990s it could happen

Let’s not forget Liao Hsue-guang the DDP legislator who was kidnapped from his own home, imprisoned in a dog cage inside a tiny shed somewhere in the mountains.

That was 24 years ago in a time where Democracy was just getting started. Organised crime controls no territory here and kidnapping an MP, especially a ruling party MP is a death wish. Terrorism is bad for business.

You think the DPP government would just simply ban pork because of a kidnapping?

Who runs the show here? The government or the terrorists?

Also, traditionally the gangs have a much deeper connection with the KMT. The Americans have no pull on the Taiwanese gangs. The local gangs that existed since the Japanese era now align themselves with the KMT. The Chinese gangs imported by the KMT now aligns themselves with the CCP.

I hope you are being sarcastic.

Sorry I still don’t get this. It makes no sense.

Surely the idea is :

We agree to buy us agricultural products as part of a trade deal.

Wtf is this giving up leverage to expedite talks shit. What a stupid negotiation strategy

How much leverage do you think Taiwan really has anyway? Taiwan is a small market, and because of Taiwan’s status, getting other major trading partners to consider a BTA is very difficult. Also, Taiwan has basically bet its existence on the US protecting it from China.

Sometimes you have to give something just to get the other party to the negotiating table.

Yeah, but at least an assurance of getting to the negotiating table. It seems like a wild bet and giving away too much without any assurances.

The really wild bet is the one that is based on the assumption that the Americans will sacrifice whatever it takes to defend this island.

In reality, the pork issue is a red herring. It gives American politicians the ability to pretend like they’re doing something for Big Ag. If Taiwanese really don’t want American pork, they don’t have to buy it.

1 Like