Taiwan Typhoons 2010

It is gusty…kind of typhoonish with strong winds, I was caught in a gust and it felt like a pail of water splashed on me…atleast temps. have gone down.

Everyone her ein teh neighborhood is saying the same thing: feels like typhoon weather. Yet, none in sight.

First tiem in like 20 years no typhoons in July. I expect we’ll have some up to January. What was the prediction for this year? 17 or more to come? Has anyone checked the typhoon grass lately?

Typhoons are defined by windspeed, but the other conditions (rain suddenly out of a blue sky, heavy rain, etc.) can occur without a well-formed spinning mass. Basically it’s just what’s called a tropical depression. And yes, we have one inbound (thanks for the link, zyzzx):

It does bear watching, and we do seem overdue for the first typhoon of the year. With all the heat this year, not just here but out in the typhoon-formative oceanic areas, we’re likely going to get some in mid to late August and September.
For image and track see pagasa.dost.gov.ph/wb/tcupdate.shtml

[quote=“Dragonbones”]Typhoons are defined by windspeed, but the other conditions (rain suddenly out of a blue sky, heavy rain, etc.) can occur without a well-formed spinning mass. Basically it’s just what’s called a tropical depression. And yes, we have one inbound (thanks for the link, zyzzx):

It does bear watching, and we do seem overdue for the first typhoon of the year. With all the heat this year, not just here but out in the typhoon-formative oceanic areas, we’re likely going to get some in mid to late August and September.
For image and track see pagasa.dost.gov.ph/wb/tcupdate.shtml[/quote]
That explains the wind and rain this weekend…

Nice heavy swells rolling in at Jialeshui this weekend. I’m battered, bruised, grazed and sore but immensely happy. :thumbsup:

Enough about your sex life, sandman – this thread is about the weather.

and thats from watching the waves or the beer?? :slight_smile:

[quote=“Icon”]Everyone her ein teh neighborhood is saying the same thing: feels like typhoon weather. Yet, none in sight.

First tiem in like 20 years no typhoons in July. I expect we’ll have some up to January. What was the prediction for this year? 17 or more to come? Has anyone checked the typhoon grass lately?[/quote]
I wonder those the fact that the northern hemisphere has been in a heat wave for the last two months got anything to do with this… energy usually absorbed by the ocean is baking the continents

Could be. The heat and rain are definetively “off course”. 35 and above in a place and time where it is usually 22 -Moscow.

100 mm of rain in a place that gets 400 every year -Gansu.

Thsi question belongs more in teh climate change thread, but as related to Taiwan, this may help:

[quote]Before the Dragon Boat Festival in June, we were fortunate that the year’s weather to date could be described as pleasant. But the unhappy truth struck at the beginning of July with a steep increase in temperatures. Xiaoshu (little heat), the 11th solar term of the Chinese calendar, was yet to begin when Taipei City was hit by a heatwave with maximums climbing above 37oC for five consecutive days.

This year in fact, countries around the world including India, the US, China, France, Italy, Germany and Spain had all suffered their own heatwaves before Taiwan’s turn came. According to data from the US National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, in June this year the average temperature of the global land mass rose 1.07oC above last century’s measurement, a record since measurements commenced in 1880.

Why is it so hot? Most scientists agree that global warming is a major contributor. They are warning that if the world doesn’t reduce greenhouse gas emissions, the frequency and strength of future heatwaves will only increase.

However, there is another important reason for the Earth’s climate malady: the heat island effect. Research into this phenomenon has been late in coming to Taiwan, but now may be the time to deal with it-and quickly.

Shaw C. Liu, director of the Research Center for Environmental Changes, Academia Sinica, notes that in terms of absolute values, the increase in temperature (1.5oC) of Taiwan’s major cities over the past century is around double that of the Northern Hemisphere as a whole (0.7oC). This tends to indicate that “global warming” is only a backdrop to the main urban warming phenomenon: the heat island effect.

For more content, please link to: taiwan-panorama.com/
[/quote]
etaiwannews.com/etn/news_con … TAIWAN_eng

This is dire. I (and the garden) need the relief of a large low-pressure system. Where are the phucking foons?

Enough about your sex life, sandman – this thread is about the weather.[/quote]
Do I get a whiff of jealousy?

Is this one??? The winds are strange…

No. Everyone knows it’s not a typhoon until the government tells the kids to stay home.

No. Everyone knows it’s not a typhoon until the government tells the kids to stay home.[/quote]
Yeps. My mistake. And it has calmed down, but the storm was eeerie today.

Heads up for a possible major next week. Current prime conditions and potential track for Taiwan according to European forecast models, although that could all change as it’s early days yet.

You mean this one? There’s one forming just west of the Philippines that has potential. The JTWC has a Tropical Cyclone Formation Alert WTPN21 Issued at 27/0430Z:

Guys, just a reminder -hope it is not too off-topic- but check your emergency kits, provisions, etc. We haven’t had a typhoon this far, when it comes it might be nasty. Or anyway, unconfortable.

For instance, check out the battery operated fans. Thought it was a waste of $$$ until last night when power was cut in the middle of the night. Thanks to that I could sleep. So my :2cents: : make sure you have everything to make yourself confortable.

These things turn quickly, but I think it’s heading too much towards west to be any threat to Taiwan. I’d place a bet against it hitting Taiwan if I could.

[quote=“redwagon”]
No. Everyone knows it’s not a typhoon until the government tells the kids to stay home.[/quote]

:roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

Quite true! Rain pouring down, hammering on the windows, slashing sideways across the street, things are rolling down the road, and I get a phone call from the boss “Where are you? You’re supposed to be in class!”

Hours later, the typhoon has passed, the clouds have gone and the sun has come out. There are even some birds singing. I get another phone call from the boss: “No class this afternoon! Typhoon!”

No, that’s a different one. I don’t think the JTWC has it up yet, but I’m looking at some long range forecast models which shows one looking to spin up further out to the west. The prediction is almost a straight in, and not a curve-ball. Might not be anything, but there seems to be fairly high potential. We’ll see.