Taiwan Typhoons 2011

[quote=“Tempo Gain”]Early days, but bears watching:

[/quote]

bear likes to watch :sunglasses:

Well, shit. I’m supposed to take visiting family to Kenting next Sunday. That thing better veer off.

Perfect timing! Your visitors might end up awed…

They appear to be forecasting the same track as Aere. So hopefully it will turn and just bring a little rain. All the data and computer models have been in agreement.

Yay, first major typhoon of the year, right when my car is on a ship.

Was going to be trip to Orchid Island next weekend. Scratched. Again.

The US Navy’s status and forecast information can be found here:
usno.navy.mil/JTWC/

The most interesting link there is likely this one:
TC Warning Graphic :wink:
(note that for Taiwan you need to add 8 hours to the times shown there)
(also note that wind speeds are given in kts - but here is an easy rule-of-thumb conversion: non-Americans halve the amount shown in kts to get the wind speed in m/s and, if needed, multiply that then by 3.6 to get km/h; Americans add 15% to the amounts shown in kts to get mph)

Can I still move on Saturday?

I bet it’s just going to veer off to the east again. Bummer.

A typhoon? in May???

Well it can end the water shortage if it hits.

Depends on where you live - the east coast may get some decent rain on the weekend

Bummer for Okinawa, too - i’ve just arrived in Ishigaki and if the current forecast does not change significantly all our islands will get drenched (and i’ll have to delay my return to Hualien by two days)…

Any chance this thing will hit tomorrow? I want it to hit tomorrow. Or at least I want there to be a LOT of rain and wind. Please?

Sports Day at school??

Exactly what I was thinking. It happened this way a year or two ago as well when we were facing similar water shortage issues. Wouldn’t want anyone to suffer damage or losses from a typhoon hitting, but the precip is needed.

No, it’s “A typhoon?! On a weekend?!”

Figures. :unamused: :frowning: :noway:

Apparently we’ll find out tomorrow how the typhoon will affect us:
chinapost.com.tw/taiwan/nati … impact.htm

Assuming the typhoon would take at least a few days to get here, it would arrive on the weekend at the earliest, right? I’m planning a trip to Tainan tomorrow and catching the bus back to Taipei on Saturday… is this silly? I just don’t wanna waste my week’s break before heading back to class. Hope the typhoon doesn’t affect road travel too much!

This may be my first typhoon experience! Excite?! :discodance:

You should go to Alleycat’s. The owner is a typhoon nut, and usually insists on being strapped naked on the roof to enjoy the storm. He even has a video camera up there, so he can relive the excitement when he gets home.

Why spend hours and hours being blown from lane to lane on the bus? Take the train, get home sooner, go outside and get soaked if you want to take in the experience.

Show him the footage of watching the flooded plains from the high speed rail.