Taiwan versus South Korea (infrastructure in general, green areas, etc.)

Taiwan finally got the crown back from Korea in nominal GDP per capita (never lost it in GDP PPP per capita). closing in on Japan very fast. IMF is skeptical of Taiwan growth potential again, same as always. I am starting to feel it’s intentional.

Edit: Uploaded the “right” version. Credits to @Marco for fixing it.

2 Likes

What site is this? I am feeling an urge to complain.

2 Likes

The graph just gives the same estimate up for every country. Not much use.

International Monetary Fund

Ah damn. The Compromised Monetary Fund.

PROVINCE OF CHINA my ass.

Who is providing their stats? Beijing? :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

Guy

2 Likes

The currency depreciation casts doubt it’ll actually happen right now.

IMF is predicting 3% for this year.

DGBAS is predicting 4%.

I don’t know how the IMF makes its predictions, but I doubt it has access to as good data as DGBAS.

1 Like

I fixed it for you @Whatevah

Feel free to use the good version in your post!

3 Likes

It’s becoming ridiculous tbh. They have been under-predicting Taiwan’s growth every time since October 2017 IIRC. If the models are underestimating something every single time, maybe you should start updating the assumptions.

1 Like

Yes the predictions are basically pointless. I am more interested in the trends from 1990 to now. Taiwan catching up to Japan and passing Korea again on nominal per capita is a big deal.

3 Likes

I agree with that.

I don’t understand.

I just had to look this up.

Not really understanding your point.

I didn’t think Taiwan would overtake Korea this year because the NTD depreciated so much recently, due to investors fleeing.

But the Won has been losing its value fast as well.

Koreans are saying it now.

It depends what industry you work in . For sure semiconductor is doing fantastic in Taiwan.

1 Like

It’s also based on bad information. Says IMF predicted Taiwan to grow 6%. It’s actually 3%.

I just calculated. Even if it’s 3.3% Taiwan will surpass Korea. I’m celebrating with kimchi when that happens.

1 Like

That made me snort :slight_smile: