Taiwan versus South Korea (infrastructure in general, green areas, etc.)

Indian Cuisine 100/10?

I’m kinda sad that it’s hard to find anything except curries in Taiwan when it comes to Indian cuisine. And even then 80% of the restaurants are mediocre or worse.

2 Likes

Yes, I forgot about Indian cuisine! To my embarrassment, I sometimes don’t consider them when I think of “Asian food”, but it’s my favorite cuisine in the world when done right. The Indian food in Kaohsiung sucks, but I like Balle Balle in Taipei. The owner is super friendly and I feel bad for them, because they had to shut down when a COVID case visited them when the outbreak was just starting in early May.

Absolutely. Indian food, 100% fantastic stuff. And perhaps the only cuisine that makes massive amounts of vegetarian foods that meat eaters dont constantly hate on! Total win.

6 Likes

How is the treatment in other countries relevant?

Shouldn’t you everyone be treated with the same values ignoring race, creed, background, wealth.

My point which is missed was that we should treat everyone with respect. But I guess if the other guy does it so should I.

That article was written 11 years ago. Has much changed in those years? Has Taiwan caught up with Singapore? Genuine question as I don’t know the answer. Progress has happened in both countries but has one improved more than the other?

Singapore and Taiwan face some shared but also quite different challenges. With its proportionally much larger expat community, Singapore has faced problems with overcrowding and housing, while Taiwan’s population has in real terms shrunk (not that this has yet helped make housing affordable here :neutral_face: ).

Anyways if you’re interested in debating this topic, start a new thread—this one’s about Taiwan and South Korea.

Guy

Uh…this is a comparative thread.

We’re comparing Taiwan and South Korea.

A 0.916 and a 0.938 is a hair’s worth of a difference and not noticeable. So my answer is yes.

Here are some countries that are below Taiwan in terms of development.

Spain
France
Czech Republic
Malta
Italy
Poland
Andorra
Portugal
Slovakia

I don’t like Korean rice cakes. They’re gooey.

Everything else there, I like though.

Kimchi is a regular part of my diet.

Spain and France are less developed than Taiwan? That’s interesting…Spain I could understand, France…well I’ve never been, but it’s right next to Germany, so I guess I assumed and I assumed incorrectly…

That’s the thing. These differences are so minute that it doesn’t realistically make a difference.

Development is a spectrum. I can easily have a good life in Canada. I came to Taiwan because it’s a preference. I’m sure I would have just as good a life in France.

But as a whole, Taiwanese people live just fine.

And that list is in order. France is less developed than Spain.

1 Like

It depends what you want out of life.
And how much $$$ you have.
There’s so much grey area.
That said I think it’s easier to have a QUIET life in Europe than Taiwan. And you have a lot more variety.
And you know French workers have way more benefits or least better work conditions than folks in Taiwan. So it doesn’t really compare remotely on that score.

France is a lot better in terms of sporting facilities, clean beaches, municipal activities for kids, childcare. Much of that doesn’t really exist in Taiwan or is hard to find.

1 Like

Sure, but in terms of objective numbers, the working conditions are not having a big enough impact to push the numbers down, or, Taiwan is being hobbled and should be much higher than it is.

These are subjective things though and things you value. They’re not invalid, but they’re not a benchmark of development. They can certainly correlate with development, but they are not causal. I personally don’t care about sporting. It’s not on my radar in my life.

If Taiwanese people want more sporting facilities, they have a democratic system to demand for it.

I feel like France isn’t less developed. Definitely not less than Spain anyway. But it’s also not more developed either, as in life in France doesn’t seem much of an upgrade in terms of most things except maybe fashion, bread/wine/cheese and better-looking guys. France is on the same level as Britain and Belgium imo, Germany is higher and Italy and Spain are lower.

They also have much more unemployment and CDD (temporary contract). It’s difficult to be hired even for low-end jobs as the employees have a ton of benefits. It’s a double-edged sword.

I feel like France is mostly on the same level because the bad things (e.g. crime rate) are pretty bad, though the good things are good too (French food, museums etc.)

Pretty much moving between countries that are over 0.9 is going to be a side-grade.

Well I visited France and the difference was night and day. The kids are way sportier there, and the local government had hired local young people to teach swimming and waters sports activities for free for any kids who visited the beach. In Taiwan it’s always some business people trying to charge as much as possible. Honestly I was blown away.
Yes there are issues in their poorer areas but I’m just talking as a middle class kind of person. I also know a guy who used to live in Taiwan and moved there and he would never move back here with his family (not French).

That sounds like a cultural difference, not development difference. I doubt those exist in Japan or Singapore.

The ranking is fairly arbitrary but the higher end of 0.9 (Scandinavia and Australia etc.) are definitely doing better than the lower end of 0.9 (Southern Europe).

It sounds like my kind of development that benefits kids. If development doesn’t benefit regular people what’s the point. Societal, cultural, whatever.

We could rank Taiwan as having tonnes of educational ‘facilities’ and high education index, but kids here in Taiwan…a bit miserable at times lets be frank and what they get out of it in the end? They still travel overseas to get a foreign education. As a parent you do see these things and compare and contrast.

Not saying other countries are perfect, far from it. Just pointing out the different factors that I would consider as important in terms of development. Being able to cross the street safely for my family is in particular very negative aspect of Taiwan.

1 Like

I disagree that it is arbitrary. It looks at three, IMO objective factors of development.

Longevity
Education
Standard of Living

Everything else is subjective and/or cultural.

Here a Frenchman who prefer Taiwan life than French life

1 Like