Taiwan versus South Korea (infrastructure in general, green areas, etc.)

To me that is offset by the fact that you really have to watch out for your belongings in France. At least in big cities. It is exhausting to have to stay vigilant at all times even in places like restaurants. I panic-checked if my phone/wallet/bag were in place every few hours and that was unpleasant.

2 Likes

It’s a pain for sure , but if you are with family or in certain environments it’s less of a concern. It’s a similar situation across much of Europe, if it isn’t locked down it’s probably going to be gone soon.
As I get older the idea of some peace and quiet becomes more and more attractive. As such much of Taiwan becomes less and less attractive. It’s just the way it is. Taiwan is still super noisy and messy with all the gas scooters everywhere. That’s my number one disappointment with Taiwan. Terrible inventions.

If your baseline of noise and messiness is Taipei then Paris is not an improvement in those aspects. Not even a little bit. Just sayin’.

Can you help me understand what is meant by the term development?

Human development index

1 Like

Human development.

Often, it is attempting to gauge quality of life through objective measures. Gauging people’s ability to be and/or do desirable things. A lot of this forum likes to rag on Taiwan for doing things differently that don’t really affect quality of life.

I use the human development index because it uses universal and objective measures of development.

These are:
Standard of living
Education
and life expectancy

1 Like

It’s not standard of living. It’s GNI per capita.

Standard of living. [As measured by GNI per capita]

It’s a bit silly to call it standard of living but well.

Those ratings are subjective because it depends on how you weight each indicator.

How in the world is France less developed than Spain?

Spain and Italy are the healthiest countries, and along with Argentina, have the most difficult women (outside the Middle East), but that doesn’t make them better.

Whenever I share my itinerary with people they always say I got an odd list of countries because most people usually visit UK, Spain, or Italy.

You’re looking at it wrong. A 0.002 difference is nothing anyone would actually notice.

What does this have to do with women being difficult?

They’re not because the indicators are universal.

Absolutely agree. But this thread is a about comparing taiwan with korea. And i am saying i find korea worse than taiwan, and taiwan is changing faster, for the better, han most of its neighbours.

2 Likes

South Korea does appear to have a serious and growing misogyny problem…

Additionally, attitudes there to LBGTI+ seem to be far behind Taiwan.

1 Like

How much is each indicator weighted? 1/3, 1/3, 1/3?

That’s a value judgment, not objective.

Also, the GNI uses PPP.

1 Like

Cube root of the multiplication of the 3.

I think you mean the multiplication of the cube root of the three. Like this:

(Life_expectancy)^(1/3) x (Schooling)^(1/3) x (GNI)^(1/3)

I don’t want to be that guy but they are the same thing.

No, you’re right.

If thats how y’all are finding partners, I’m not sure sure its the ladies that are being difficult…

maybe start a new thread about it, then i can go into detail about it better