Taiwan vs. the Rest of Asia for Living and Life in General

[quote=“pgdaddy1”]Bababa: yes it must suck not being able to get away to a lovely beach or diving. It’s the kind of people that CF Images talk about, who can lead the expat life in Malaysia, that love it. Beautiful condo with a pool, property rental and purchase prices very low. Relaxed and laid back, a calmer and more relaxed people. Many of the middle-class are educated abroad. It’s much easier to speak to people there and find a common ground. None of the hassle and ignorance which is the subject of these threads. I guess I am lucky in that I work from home so can spend a lot of time at the diving resorts, anywhere where there is WiFi,

Guy, yes there are serious racial issues in Malaysia, no way is it a country of equal opportunities. But while the Malays run the politics and have the big jobs, my impression is that the Chinese do pretty well, running small or medium sized businesses, they are hard working and entrepreneurial. It’s the Indians that really suffer, with the University quotas etc, they really are put down.[/quote]

Learn a little Chinese, and if you can afford that extravagant lifestyle you call “the expat life” in Taiwan, you’ll find there are plenty of luxurious apartments outside of Taipei with hot spring access, lake access, beautiful weather, etc. People are nice pretty much everywhere in Taiwan, and even when they’re rude its mostly out of persistent curiosity than trying to intimidate or show disgust.

My problem is that I have to live where it is convenient for my husband to live, and that is nowhere any tourist is going to be going. Basically it is an industrial wasteland. I’ve had people show up at my door with machetes, others outside screaming at us at one in the morning because of something some other foreigner did (they all look the same to the Malaysians, evidently).[/quote]

That’s tough. Sounds you like you are in a bad area there. I hope all goes well for you and maybe you can move to somewhere nicer.

I spent quite a lot of time on the islands (Perhentian and Tioman) for diving and the local Malays seemed pretty friendly. The other visitors from KL, Penang etc who were Malay and Chinese were very friendly, educated and well-informed. Compared to Taiwan stress levels are much lower.[/quote]

Are you serious? You’re comparing a city-worker to a person on vacation at a dive resort? Wow! You’ve got balls.

By the way, unless there is a crucial part of this text written in invisible text, I do not think that sandman missed the point at all unless you wrote unclearly. It sounds to me like you’re comparing Malaysian people you met at upscale resorts to the average Taiwanese person. If that was not your intention, you’d best clarify…
Anyway, one of my friends had a girlfriend from Malaysia (not KL). She said Malaysia is a miserable but beautiful country. People there are a mixed bag and vary a lot more from area to area than in Taiwan, where you can expect similar personalities and culture wherever you go. They cheat foreigners more there, they also have higher crime rates.
I have my critiques of Taiwan for sure, but I won’t concede that Malaysia is better. Sounds like your budget is better, that’s all. See what a high salary can buy you out in wulai or fulong, damn. If you work from home you could live like a king in those areas, speaking a bit of Chinese. My guess is you’ll find people vacationing there pretty laid back too!

[quote=“Tomas”][quote=“bismarck”]Split from: Let the Rude White Person on Subway Hysteria Begin
Feel free to discuss the standard of living or anything else in Taiwan vs the rest of Asia here.[/quote]

You may want to split the thread once more to let people discuss pgdaddy1’s thesis that Taiwanese people are a bunch of rude fakers who are only kind to foreigners because they want to look good in front of white people. His other thesis seems to be that any foreigner who thinks Taiwanese are generally kind and decent is delusional. That may be worthy its own thread as well.[/quote]

I am not the only one who has said these things here. Yet you and a couple others have always jumped in tandem onto what into I have said because I dare to criticise the place that you call home and raise a few truths, because I dared to share my own bad experiences of the family court system in Taiwan. If you were that secure in yourself and your own life then you’d take the criticism as it is meant, or answer back in a constructive way. The bubble that you live in is rather fragile, isn’t it ?

Taiwanese people are like any others, some good some bad. Generally they are uncomplicated people. It’s the social norms regarding their attitude towards foreigners and the outside world which I question. If you have a problem with that, then I couldn’t give a flying feck.

My problem is that I have to live where it is convenient for my husband to live, and that is nowhere any tourist is going to be going. Basically it is an industrial wasteland. I’ve had people show up at my door with machetes, others outside screaming at us at one in the morning because of something some other foreigner did (they all look the same to the Malaysians, evidently).[/quote]

That’s tough. Sounds you like you are in a bad area there. I hope all goes well for you and maybe you can move to somewhere nicer.

I spent quite a lot of time on the islands (Perhentian and Tioman) for diving and the local Malays seemed pretty friendly. The other visitors from KL, Penang etc who were Malay and Chinese were very friendly, educated and well-informed. Compared to Taiwan stress levels are much lower.[/quote]

Are you serious? You’re comparing a city-worker to a person on vacation at a dive resort? Wow! You’ve got balls.

By the way, unless there is a crucial part of this text written in invisible text, I do not think that sandman missed the point at all unless you wrote unclearly. It sounds to me like you’re comparing Malaysian people you met at upscale resorts to the average Taiwanese person. If that was not your intention, you’d best clarify…
Anyway, one of my friends had a girlfriend from Malaysia (not KL). She said Malaysia is a miserable but beautiful country. People there are a mixed bag and vary a lot more from area to area than in Taiwan, where you can expect similar personalities and culture wherever you go. They cheat foreigners more there, they also have higher crime rates.
I have my critiques of Taiwan for sure, but I won’t concede that Malaysia is better. Sounds like your budget is better, that’s all. See what a high salary can buy you out in Wulai or fulong, damn. If you work from home you could live like a king in those areas, speaking a bit of Chinese. My guess is you’ll find people vacationing there pretty laid back too![/quote]

Well it does look like I need to explain myself then. The resort was basically a dive centre with basic huts attached, no TV or anything like that, 1,000 NT$ or less a night. Hardly upscale ! Where did I say I was comparing city life in Taiwan to a dive resort ? I guess that you assumed that. Name me a place in Taiwan on a nice beach which is genuinely laid back and relaxed and you can meet friendly open minded people from all over the world. Kending ? That’s good by Taiwan standards but not good by any others. And yes, in these places the stress levels are a lot lower than anywhere you can find in Taiwan. Go and visit and then tell me if you disagree,

I was never cheated in shops (as far as I know), but I wouldn’t be surprised if it goes on, however Malaysia is economically at least a couple of steps ahead of countries such as the Philippines or Thailand so there is less of the rip-off culture.

Regarding your suggestion to learn Chinese, well I can speak Chinese. Sometimes I wish I hadn’t learnt though- in Taiwan ignorance really can be bliss !

Taiwan is not the worst country in the world to live, not even the worst in Asia, and not even the worst in East Asia. The point is that it could be so much more attractive, liveable and comfortable than it actually is, for a country with such economic success. Therefore, I think it’s more than fair to compare it to other economically advanced Asian countries such as Malaysia. In order to form a proper opinion, you would need to actually go there instead of basing your views of what a friend of a friend has told you.

I agree, Taiwan should be better than it is. The problem is the work culture here leaves people with no freetime, and when they do have freetime they always look a bit guilty hahaha. People in Taiwan are so high-strung and sheltered… I can’t believe they think this education system is better than… anything. And 80 hour work weeks are NOT OK. But these things very well could improve in the future, but then again maybe not. It’s up to the Taiwanese people to finally take a stand but they’re not programmed to do that really, so it’ll take something special to see real positive change.

Yes, and people being so highly strung and nervous is one of the reasons that it’s difficult to relax amongst them.

Change comes for all different reasons and in different manners. It wouldn’t be a revolution because people in Taiwan are generally well off, and free to vote for a change of government if they wish. Probably, if they could be more aware of life in other countries in the world, be aware of the areas in which their life could improve, that the seeds of change can start. Not all Taiwanese have the money to travel the world and experience different cultures in depth, and very few have the time, so the obvious way that they can get exposure to other cultures is to talk to a foreigner ! That’s why it is crucial for them to have a more open attitude towards foreigners in Taiwan. In a way, you foreigners in Taiwan are good-will ambassadors for your own countries and cultures. But this change in attitude must be nurtured in the education system, because there is no reason why Mama and Baba should start telling Xiao Pengyou any different. It could take a couple of generations to come through, so the sooner it starts the better.

And like I said, the worst thing that anyone can do is to bury their head in the sand and pretend everything is rosy.

Taiwan has a good future, I believe it. I have to believe it because a big part of soul, my flesh and blood lives there, even if I do not.

[quote=“pgdaddy1”][quote=“Tomas”][quote=“bismarck”]Split from: Let the Rude White Person on Subway Hysteria Begin
Feel free to discuss the standard of living or anything else in Taiwan vs the rest of Asia here.[/quote]

You may want to split the thread once more to let people discuss pgdaddy1’s thesis that Taiwanese people are a bunch of rude fakers who are only kind to foreigners because they want to look good in front of white people. His other thesis seems to be that any foreigner who thinks Taiwanese are generally kind and decent is delusional. That may be worthy its own thread as well.[/quote]

I am not the only one who has said these things here. Yet you and a couple others have always jumped in tandem onto what into I have said because I dare to criticise the place that you call home and raise a few truths, because I dared to share my own bad experiences of the family court system in Taiwan. If you were that secure in yourself and your own life then you’d take the criticism as it is meant, or answer back in a constructive way. The bubble that you live in is rather fragile, isn’t it ?

Taiwanese people are like any others, some good some bad. Generally they are uncomplicated people. It’s the social norms regarding their attitude towards foreigners and the outside world which I question. If you have a problem with that, then I couldn’t give a flying feck.[/quote]

I simply think you’re wrong. Is that okay, or does disagreeing with you make me insecure and someone who lives inside a fragile bubble? For such a laid-back dude, you sure enjoy going for the personal attack when people disagree with you, don’t you?

Take a deep breath and re-read my post. I’m simply suggesting that the mods let posters explore your theses about Taiwanese people and the delusional foreigners who might like them, theses which you have clearly stated in this and other threads. If you don’t believe that you have made these kinds of statements, then may I suggest that you clarify your arguments rather than getting so pissed off? If you do believe these things, perhaps you could explain why bothers you so much when people point out what you’ve written?

For the record, I have no problem with someone who criticizes Taiwan. Your opinion is your right. Might others be allowed to discuss it without you getting upset?

[quote=“Tomas”][quote=“pgdaddy1”][quote=“Tomas”][quote=“bismarck”]Split from: Let the Rude White Person on Subway Hysteria Begin

Taiwanese people are like any others, some good some bad. Generally they are uncomplicated people. It’s the social norms regarding their attitude towards foreigners and the outside world which I question. If you have a problem with that, then I couldn’t give a flying feck.[/quote]

I simply think you’re wrong. Is that okay, or does disagreeing with you make me insecure and someone who lives inside a fragile bubble? For such a laid-back dude, you sure enjoy going for the personal attack when people disagree with you, don’t you?

Take a deep breath and re-read my post. I’m simply suggesting that the mods let posters explore your theses about Taiwanese people and the delusional foreigners who might like them, theses which you have clearly stated in this and other threads. If you don’t believe that you have made these kinds of statements, then may I suggest that you clarify your arguments rather than getting so pissed off? If you do believe these things, perhaps you could explain why bothers you so much when people point out what you’ve written?

For the record, I have no problem with someone who criticizes Taiwan. Your opinion is your right. Might others be allowed to discuss it without you getting upset?[/quote]

Yes, very clever. Well at least you’ve had the balls this time to actually state your views rather than make an underhand comment about splitting off a thread etc.

Like I said, I am not the only one who has expressed these views (please don’t make me go back and quote what others have said) and certainly not the first, so I don’t think I can take out a patent on the “thesis”. I am not sure why you think I have a problem with other people expressing their views, that would be kind of hypocritical wouldn’t it ? The problem I have is where people get personal and make snarky or underhand comments. Which you have done with me on at least one occasion.

That’s a sign of insecurity to me. If I am wrong in your case, then I apologise.

This forum is full of educated and intelligent people discussing important issues, there’s no need for us to stoop so low as to get personal is there ?

BTW, I don’t think I ever claimed that any foreigner who believes Taiwanese are generally kind and decent is delusional. If I did then I also apologise, because I generally agree with that sentiment. I do hold, however that in order to survive in a place such as Taiwan long-term, you really have to block out a lot of the uncomfortable realities.

[quote=“pgdaddy1”][quote=“Tomas”][quote=“pgdaddy1”][quote=“Tomas”][quote=“bismarck”]Split from: Let the Rude White Person on Subway Hysteria Begin

For the record, I have no problem with someone who criticizes Taiwan. Your opinion is your right. Might others be allowed to discuss it without you getting upset?[/quote]

Yes, very clever. Well at least you’ve had the balls this time to actually state your views rather than make an underhand comment about splitting off a thread etc.

Like I said, I am not the only one who has expressed these views (please don’t make me go back and quote what others have said) and certainly not the first, so I don’t think I can take out a patent on the “thesis”. I am not sure why you think I have a problem with other people expressing their views, that would be kind of hypocritical wouldn’t it ? The problem I have is where people get personal and make snarky or underhand comments. Which you have done with me on at least one occasion.

That’s a sign of insecurity to me. If I am wrong in your case, then I apologise.

This forum is full of educated and intelligent people discussing important issues, there’s no need for us to stoop so low as to get personal is there ?

BTW, I don’t think I ever claimed that any foreigner who believes Taiwanese are generally kind and decent is delusional. If I did then I also apologise, because I generally agree with that sentiment. I do hold, however that in order to survive in a place such as Taiwan long-term, you really have to block out a lot of the uncomfortable realities.[/quote]

I’m sorry, but the irony is just too rich here. You have trouble with people who make personal comments, yet at this point, you’ve called me insecure, lacking in balls, someone who lives in a fragile bubble, etc.? Have I called you any names, or have I just focused on your arguments? BTW, my initial suggestion that we split a few of your assertions into other threads was sincere. I think they’re worthy of discussion, and would be interesting.

Since you keep going back to personal stuff, I’ll address a few of your attacks here.

I don’t think I’m insecure, but someone calling me insecure a few times is always helpful because it gives me the opportunity to think about how my behavior is perceived by others. So you’ve helped me out in a way. If your definition of insecure is that I can’t accept an opposing view, I’m probably only slightly insecure. I’m pretty open to negative feedback and opposing views, most of the time.

I’m not sure if I live in a bubble. I travel around places like China, India, Australia, Singapore (can’t really travel around Singapore, but you get the idea), Hong Kong, England, and the US quite a bit for work, I’m over 40, and I speak and read fluent Chinese (I use it to do my work), so I think I may have had the opportunity to see a few things here and there that would help me remain bubble-less. I think Australia is far more beautiful than Taiwan as a place to live, and I like Singapore a lot, for what it’s worth.

As for lacking minerals (that’s the correct vernacular in the UK, right?), I’m really not sure. I’m not afraid of taking risks, generally, and I’ve been in my share of physical and verbal fights where I haven’t backed down, but I suppose there’s always room for improvement. If your definition of someone lacking balls is making underhanded comments, I’ve made a few of those in my life, so I suppose under that definition I am lacking in balls. I’ll try and work on it.

Don’t worry about quoting others. I agree that you aren’t the first to post some of those things about Taiwan and Taiwanese people.

[quote=“Tomas”][quote=“pgdaddy1”][quote=“Tomas”][quote=“pgdaddy1”][quote=“Tomas”][quote=“bismarck”]Split from: Let the Rude White Person on Subway Hysteria Begin

BTW, I don’t think I ever claimed that any foreigner who believes Taiwanese are generally kind and decent is delusional. If I did then I also apologise, because I generally agree with that sentiment. I do hold, however that in order to survive in a place such as Taiwan long-term, you really have to block out a lot of the uncomfortable realities.[/quote]

I’m sorry, but the irony is just too rich here. You have trouble with people who make personal comments, yet at this point, you’ve called me insecure, lacking in balls, someone who lives in a fragile bubble, etc.? Have I called you any names, or have I just focused on your arguments? BTW, my initial suggestion that we split a few of your assertions into other threads was sincere. I think they’re worthy of discussion, and would be interesting.

Since you keep going back to personal stuff, I’ll address a few of your attacks here.

I don’t think I’m insecure, but someone calling me insecure a few times is always helpful because it gives me the opportunity to think about how my behavior is perceived by others. So you’ve helped me out in a way. If your definition of insecure is that I can’t accept an opposing view, I’m probably only slightly insecure. I’m pretty open to negative feedback and opposing views, most of the time.

I’m not sure if I live in a bubble. I travel around places like China, India, Australia, Singapore (can’t really travel around Singapore, but you get the idea), Hong Kong, England, and the US quite a bit for work, I’m over 40, and I speak and read fluent Chinese (I use it to do my work), so I think I may have had the opportunity to see a few things here and there that would help me remain bubble-less. I think Australia is far more beautiful than Taiwan as a place to live, and I like Singapore a lot, for what it’s worth.

As for lacking minerals (that’s the correct vernacular in the UK, right?), I’m really not sure. I’m not afraid of taking risks, generally, and I’ve been in my share of physical and verbal fights where I haven’t backed down, but I suppose there’s always room for improvement. If your definition of someone lacking balls is making underhanded comments, I’ve made a few of those in my life, so I suppose under that definition I am lacking in balls. I’ll try and work on it.

Don’t worry about quoting others. I agree that you aren’t the first to post some of those things about Taiwan and Taiwanese people.[/quote]

OK fair enough. It really did seem like an underhand comment to me though, but if you say it wasn’t then I believe you. I guess it was because that you had already made one before that I assumed … I certainly would not have got personal with you if I hadn’t felt that you were getting personal with me.

At least you accept that these “theses” cannot be attributed to me. I expect that someone first expressed the same views 50+ years back. I’m just over 40 too, have lived in a handful of countries and travelled 30+ countries, so I think I have a good point of reference. Hats off to you for being able to read and write Chinese though, that’s a feat. Whether it helps you understand Taiwanese culture and people any more, I am not sure.

And he has thinning hair. Unlike myself.
By the way, and I could be wrong here, as I can’t be bothered paging back to check, but did you mention Milton Keynes as the place you live and as somewhat nice? It was in the papers today. Two teenagers, shot in the head at point-blank range outside an off-licence. Lovely, eh?

[quote=“sandman”]And he has thinning hair. Unlike myself.
By the way, and I could be wrong here, as I can’t be bothered paging back to check, but did you mention Milton Keynes as t he place you live and as somewhat nice? It was in the papers today. Two teenagers, shot in the head at point-blank range outside an off-licence. Lovely, eh?[/quote]

Yep, it shocked us all here too. Because Milton Keynes really is a safe and nice place to live. You don’t hear too much about serious crime here. There are bad estates though, and this looks to be one of them.

I wouldn’t let it put you off coming to the UK to visit though, Sandy. If you are only here for a couple of weeks, you should be safe. Statistically. :laughing:

[quote=“pgdaddy1”][quote=“sandman”]And he has thinning hair. Unlike myself.
By the way, and I could be wrong here, as I can’t be bothered paging back to check, but did you mention Milton Keynes as t he place you live and as somewhat nice? It was in the papers today. Two teenagers, shot in the head at point-blank range outside an off-licence. Lovely, eh?[/quote]

Yep, it shocked us all here too. Because Milton Keynes really is a safe and nice place to live. You don’t hear too much about serious crime here. There are bad estates though, and this looks to be one of them.

I wouldn’t let it put you off coming to the UK to visit though, Sandy. If you are only here for a couple of weeks, you should be safe. :laughing:[/quote]
Oh, I will be perfectly safe. I’m bringing a machete in my checked-in luggage. Custom grip, too, so it won’t slip when the blood flows.

[quote=“sandman”][quote=“pgdaddy1”][quote=“sandman”]And he has thinning hair. Unlike myself.

I wouldn’t let it put you off coming to the UK to visit though, Sandy. If you are only here for a couple of weeks, you should be safe. :laughing:[/quote]
Oh, I will be perfectly safe. I’m bringing a machete in my checked-in luggage. Custom grip, too, so it won’t slip when the blood flows.[/quote]

Good. On second thoughts you’re likely to need it in Scotland anyway. You said the story was “in the papers”- Taiwanese local papers - Shirley not ?

You can remove the englishman from taiwan but you cant remove taiwan from the englishman (especially if he has a child on the wan). Theres a thin line between love and hate. And I think pgdaddy lends credence to both above statements. Just sayin :smiley:

For the word Englishman you can substitute man/ woman. Yep, you wouldn’t believe the amount of time I spend browsing Forumosa, it’s unnatural. Or maybe natural. If I didn’t have a child in Taiwan it would be a distant memory already.

[quote=“Tomas”][quote=“bismarck”]Split from: Let the Rude White Person on Subway Hysteria Begin

I don’t wanna hear about it. If he he really has an issue he can meet me at the 7-11 in Yong He. Otherwise I don’t wanna hear about it. I reckon he’s a good bloke with some issues (I don’t wanna hear about…) that will help us some time along he line…

[quote=“bismarck”][quote=“Tomas”][quote=“bismarck”]Split from: Let the Rude White Person on Subway Hysteria Begin

I don’t wanna hear about it. If he he really has an issue he can meet me at the 7-11 in Yonghe. Otherwise I don’t wanna hear about it. I reckon he’s a good bloke with some issues (I don’t wanna hear about…) that will help us some time along he line…[/quote]

You sound like you’ve had a few too many bottles of Taiwan Pijiu, Bismarck ? But thanks for the nice comments anyhoo. I hope I can help some of you guys one day. I thought you were living in Tainan ? Unfortunately I can’t meet you in Yonghe though, because I can’t even enter Taiwan at the moment without being arrested and marched off to court, and up to three years in prison. But thanks for the invite anyway.

pssst to pgdaddy

Bis wont meet you in YongHe anyway , you will be waiting a long time. Because he lives in TAinan :laughing:

[quote=“pgdaddy1”][quote=“bismarck”][quote=“Tomas”][quote=“bismarck”]Split from: Let the Rude White Person on Subway Hysteria Begin

I don’t wanna hear about it. If he he really has an issue he can meet me at the 7-11 in Yonghe. Otherwise I don’t wanna hear about it. I reckon he’s a good bloke with some issues (I don’t wanna hear about…) that will help us some time along he line…[/quote]

You sound like you’ve had a few too many bottles of Taiwan Pijiu, Bismarck ? But thanks for the nice comments anyhoo. I hope I can help some of you guys one day. I thought you were living in Tainan ? Unfortunately I can’t meet you in Yonghe though, because I can’t even enter Taiwan at the moment without being arrested and marched off to court, and up to three years in prison. But thanks for the invite anyway.[/quote]
Sounds like I’m missing something… Say what now? Arrested?