Taiwan - what's the attraction?

quote:
Originally posted by thyrdrail: As NFI so incessantly and pointlessly reiterates, it was always a place for business and never a place for tourism. We already know that NFI. The government wanted businessmen who'd buy their semiconductors and computers, not tourists who'd buy little knick-knacks and souvenirs. So change topics please and move on for everyone's sake.

Tourism isn’t about people buying little knick-knacks, thanks Thyrdrail. And if you actually had ever been to Taiwan, you may realise that the whole Eco-tourist thing is just one of the many tourist “initiatives” of the government (the same one you seem to think isn’t interested in this). Like the government plan to double tourist visitation by 2007 announced today.

My point is that it takes more than saying “Taiwan is here, come visit” to attract the millions of tourist they want. Cleaning the place up a bit wouldn’t be a bad place to start.

I am also curious, exactly how many of these Asian forums are you are a part of? Are you making expert comments about Tokyo, KL, HK, HCMC? At least Wolf’s comments about Vietnam are from experience (I agree with you, Vietnam’s beaches are not that great, but still better than any I’ve seen here).

quote:
Originally posted by Poagao:

One of the things I like best about Taiwan is that people like you detest it so.

And how!

“Expect nothing and you will never be disappointed.”
– Wolfling

quote:
Originally posted by Adroth:

If those are the places that you enjoyed, why not stay in those places?

Something that is even more annoying than whingeing moaning expats like myself, is the brand of Taiwan apologist that come back with lines like the above.

The “Oh, you said something nasty about the place. Love it, or get out!” approach is lame, I’m afraid.

It would be a boring BB if we all sat around agreeing with eachother.

Great - another earthquake. Just another reason to want to stay.

… and the swaying from the quake must be pretty nauseating in that ivory tower of yours NFI??

Yes, yes, answer that question!!! Was the farm “beautiful”???

quote:
Originally posted by NFI: The "Oh, you said something nasty about the place. Love it, or get out!" approach is lame, I'm afraid.

If its hell on earth for you, then why not do something about it?

Its not your country, therefore how they do things is not up to you. What then is the alternative?

My perspectives are different; and we’re all entitled to their own opinion. But the whining I read here is comparable to a five year old child whining that “all his life he has known nothing but hardship” – because there was one toy that he wanted but didn’t get. Yes I’m pretty sure a child like that must not be happy – but does he really know what true hardship is?

Its a question of perspectives man. Filth? You guys haven’t seen nothin yet.

“Happiness will never come to those who fail to appreciate what they already have.”

Author Unknown

quote:
Originally posted by Jolie: I'd weep for you all, really, but it'd be a waste of tears.

Please, stay on. If everyone had my taste, Taiwan would be a desert wasteland.

And what is with this nation bashing that is going here - I see anti Israeli, Australian, Canadian, English comments. Well done people, so very culturally adept.

And lastly, don’t be so stupid, what man would call himself Jolie. Hah.

What female would call herself Jolie ?

It 'aint Hell, but you can see it from here.

The exit plans are coming along nicely, thanks Adroth for your concern. I’m sure after I depart, I’ll come back often. Bring the family for a great holiday, like the millions of others who flock to this tropical paradise, to explore the island’s natural beauty & historical city of Taipei that all you guys keep telling me is there.

Keep up with the illicit substances and hypnotherapy, because whatever you’re on, I can’t see what you’re seeing.

None so blind as those that will not see.

quote:
Originally posted by NFI: None so blind as those that will not see.

You sure got THAT right at least.

You must really love your company to allow them to shaft you so royally – I guess some people really will do anything for cold hard cash.

Think yourself lucky your company doesn’t have a branch in Mali.

quote:
Originally posted by NFI:

I am also curious, exactly how many of these Asian forums are you are a part of? Are you making expert comments about Tokyo, KL, HK, HCMC? At least Wolf’s comments about Vietnam are from experience (I agree with you, Vietnam’s beaches are not that great, but still better than any I’ve seen here).

What other forums I participate in is really insignificant to you. My family/extended family are from China and Taiwan, and these are the countries I know the best.

Wanna read a boring story? If not, skip.

You and Jolie remind me of this Singaporean expat in NYC whom I’ve had the misfortune of meeting last year through work associates. He had lived in NYC for several years, and he absolutely HATED it. Everything he said of NYC was completely negative; not one positive comment whatsoever. He said it was dirty. He said it was noisy. He said the people were rude and constantly bumped into him without apologizing. He said the subway sucked because it was filthy and you couldn’t use your cell phones underground, unlike “great” Singapore where you can, and that the Singaporean subway system is the only system in the whole wide world that has cell phone reception. (Wooow zowee!!) He said American technology stank and that Motorola made horrible products. He went on and on about just how fab Singapore was while continuously panning NYC. On top of that, he used his criticisms of NYC to bitch about America as a whole and made completely swiping generalizations (the way you and Jolie do with Taiwan: “no beauty, no legacy, no culture, no creativity, bathroom tile-covered mountains!!”), saying Americans were rude and lacked morals and the country was boring, even tho he never even lived outside of NYC. And when, in the middle of a conversation about Singapore, I mentioned that the country slipped into a recession last year, he totally flipped out and denied it, then walked away pissed!! Totally true story. Needless to say he didn’t have many friends there, and those that were, well, were other Singaporeans! Oh and get this, the funny part: He really liked Taiwan!! Honest!! Apparently, he’s very Asian ethnocentric. A side note: I wouldn’t be surprised at all if he’s one of those jerks who thinks America got what it deserved with 9/11.

So despite the fact that some of what he said of NYC was true, that city just offers so much more than someone like him with his intolerable, nasty, pompous attitude can ever see. I didn’t bother to point out all the positive aspects of NY. It would’ve been a complete waste of time cuz the guy was so blinded by his closed-mindedness and arrogance. Sound familiar, hmm? Anyway, I believe every country offers something that’s positive and of value (I know it sounds corny, but whatever); hell, even war-torn Afghanistan. I believe it cuz that’s just the kind of person I am. So it really doesn’t matter that I haven’t gone to Taiwan - yet. I know I will have a blast when I get there this year DESPITE the pollution and bad architecture, etc., etc., etc. And if I was living there and was extremely unhappy, I’d be on a plane ASAP outta there rather than stick around and make excuses for staying while bitching and moaning in some forum and writing negative posts to make others feel miserable as well. But that’s me. And you ask why people here get defensive? Because you make them feel bad!! And who the f**k wants to feel bad? And despite you and Jolie’s best efforts to convince people who are there to leave and those who want to come to stay away…well, I’m still coming, chump!! (I sure like these smilies!!!)

Your Singapore … er… acquaintance is behind the times, too. Taipei’s very own MRT has cell-phone compatability – for what that’s worth.

I guess there are whiners everywhere, just as there are those who get on with things and find things to enjoy, even if they can’t stand the architecture .

NFI and Jolie won’t be very happy wherever their masters send them, probably. I feel sorry for them – it must be pretty grim to be a wage/career slave at the whim of people who have the power to banish you to places you have no desire to be.

Enjoy spending your enormous salaries, you two. Pity they don’t seem to have been able to buy you happiness.

why the constant comparisons of taiwan to the “tropical paradises” of south east asia? would taiwan be a better place if there were white sandy beaches and multinational resorts which completely shield tourists from local culture? let’s see…thriving(but boring) computer industry providing lots of high tech jobs or a booming tourist industry where locals make a living kissing up to foreigners in hotels they could never afford to stay in themselves.

if you want to experience what a country’s culture is like, you have to go where most of the locals live…and it ain’t on some manicured beach lounging under a palm tree.

like many of the people on this board, i like that taiwan feels like a “real” country and not some piece of kitsch aimed at foreign tourists.

I feel bad for Jolie. I’ve been in her state of mind before and can totally sympathize with her reactions to Taiwan. It’s that stage 3 culture shock that Alien mentioned. Some people get beyond it, some don’t. C’est la guerre.

FB

Well there are alot worse places to live than Taiwan… like the summit of Mt. Everest, Afganistan, the Antartic, The West Bank… I just think Jolie is entitled to her views on Taiwan… but shouldn’t ridicule people who do like the place…if people like Taiwan for what they can see it as then good for them… but Jolie without knowing these people or anything about Taiwan then what makes you the expert on whats good and whats bad and on the people who choose to live work or pass time by here

quote:
Originally posted by thyrdrail:

And you ask why people here get defensive? Because you make them feel bad!! And who the f**k wants to feel bad?

Oi, calm down. You’ve never stepped foot at CKS (it’s a beautiful airport, makes LAX look like HK, but at least no shooting), so don’t get all defensive. If you want to feel bad that someone says they don’t like a place, that’s your choice. It’s simple, you get all offended by a post?, don’t read it. It’s a bit like the born-again bible bashers trying to censor everything, the solution is to just not read/watch it.

I’ve a suggestion for a thread you could start:

“Places I love that I’ve never visited but cannot stand anyone to be critical of.” Your love of virtual architecture, virtual culture, virtual travel, etc. will slot in well.

Keep sitting in front of your Dell megahertz whatever and experiencing life in Asia. From where you’re sitting everything about the place must be perfect. Next you’ll be telling me your virtual food tastes great!?!

In response to the original question as to why come to Taiwan, I would have to say for me, it was to meet up with my wife-to-be. No, she is not Taiwanese. I’ve only been here 6 years and even though I don’t care to much for the lack of beauty of Taiwan, I do love the people here.

I believe relationship is the reason why most people choose to stay. I’ve made better relationships here than I ever did back home in the States. No, I do not teach English, I work here as a missionary. (Please, no sick jokes about being a Christian.)

Yes, most people here are money hungry and could care for nothing less, but there are also some very sincere people here who would give you their right arm if you asked them for help.

Build a relationship with someone from an aboriginal tribe here, or a elderly Taiwanese. You may see the true beauty of Taiwan isn’t on the outside, but on the inside of the people here.

it is good to emphathise with jolie a bit though…bad experiences make of insane for a while…i got robbed in Guam four years ago, watched the guys drive out of the parking lot while i explaining to a cop i flagged down that that was them…he let the go wondering “Who the hell was that?” then i had to pay the car rental place for the broken window…yet if i had been in an accident i was covered…what!?? and the rental place never told me that there was a gang that targetted rental cars! grrr

needless to say, i spent the next few years badmouthing Guam, telling peopl to go to hawaii!

lol it passed! (sort of, as you can tell)

jolie…im here dear, im listening, but my advice is, get over it, its all gone shortly, shhh, its ok, shhh

Jolie
Member # 1686
. 06-13-2001 13:58

Seems like we are really fooling ourselves but okay, what the hey.
I LIKE the great reflexology places that cure all your ails in 30 minutes of pain, I like the fact that MacDonalds has its menu in English (just not taking it for granted), I LOVE the Shabu Shabu joints along my street.

But then again, I don’t think I’d miss them when I leave.

Posts: 39 | From: Taipei | Registered: Jun 2001 | IP: Logged

So Jolie likes something about Taiwan!!!

Not a reason to stay, but some good things about living in Taiwan…

Taiwanese, in my experience, are very friendly, polite, and well-meaning

Today my secretary picked me up some lunch, a bowl of delicious noodle soup - NT$45

I’ve learnt a lot about Chinese culture and customs

The Taiwanese are extremely entrepreneurial

Some of the food is great (I’m not keen on most of the local dishes, but mainland Chinese food of every variety is freely available here, and good. They just need to work on the decor).

I have a beautiful big apartment full of nice things

My Taiwanese cat

I’ve seen a lot of more of Asia since I’ve lived here

Double the public holidays than at home

CNY & lion dancing

Firecrackers are legal

Ingredients for asian cooking are so easy to find (a full day trip to Chinatown back home)

I’ve met great people here, both locals and expats

I’m feeling all Zen and nice today, don’t worry, it will pass, most likely tomorrow morning when I’m crossing the road and inhale scooter smoke and one of those little blue Canter vans almost runs over me.