Taiwan work visa ends - please get out of here in 15 days

I went to the NIA with some questions, planning ahead for the end of almost 5 years working in Taiwan.

Although my rental contract still lasts for a month which I want to finish, I have to leave within an official limit of 15 days.

No matter how I talked, no matter how I asked for at least a bit of flexibility for someone having worked almost 5 years in Taiwan, no matter I promised to show them my rental contract and a flight ticket out, no matter how polite and sensible, they won’t give me a lousy 20 extra days.

In return for having worked here for nearly 5 years the best they can do is kick you out in 15 days.

I just had to close with “I think this is not a friendly way to treat foreigners”.

To hell with this place!

Edit: changed “Fuck off, Taiwan. Just fuck off.” to something more acceptable.

Check the regs of your country and see if there is any discrepency between Taiwan rules and your country. I think not. This stuff isn’t discretionary, smile and get your way. Grow up. This is international stuff and get used to it or, my guess, you need to go home. Fuck Taiwan? Well, expletitive deleted!

Ok! Now my steam has blown off with your comment about Taiwan, keep in mind this my country that you are talking about. You are not leaving because of a housing residency cancellation. You are leaving for some other reason. My guess is a work related problem. I saw no mention of a spouse or a JFRV so you have a work problem. Just spell it out. Many or us are ready to help you but telling us to "F*** Off isn’t going to help.
Please repost and detail all the issues and problems. We need more information.

Wow, that sucks. Well, what about doing a visa run and returning on a tourist visa so you have a bit more time to wrap things up here?

[quote=“Ectoplasma”]I went to the NIA with some questions, planning ahead for the end of almost 5 years working in Taiwan. Although my rental contract still lasts for a month which I want to finish, I have to leave within an official limit of 15 days.

No matter how I talked, no matter how I asked for at least a bit of flexibility for someone having worked almost 5 years in Taiwan, no matter I promised to show them my rental contract and a flight ticket out, no matter how polite and sensible, they won’t give me a lousy 20 extra days.

In return for having worked here for nearly 5 years the best they can do is kick you out in 15 days. I just had to close with “I think this is not a friendly way to treat foreigners”.

Fuck off, Taiwan. Just fuck off.[/quote]

All countries have firm deadlines. You can leave and re-enter on a visitor landing visa if it’s so important to you.

You are not special just because you chose to work here for 5 years. If you have no legal right to remain you should just accept that and… erh… well use your own words at the bottom of your own post.

[quote=“Ectoplasma”]In return for having worked here for nearly 5 years the best they can do is kick you out in 15 days.

I just had to close with “I think this is not a friendly way to treat foreigners”.

I hear you, Ectoplasma. Taiwan is shooting itself in the foot. What a stupid way to run a country! :loco:

I wonder how the US treats foregin workes that come and beg and plead to stay an extra 20 days after whatever deadline they’ve been given to leave the country…
Yes, it’s a major pain, but I don’t think the situation would be that different in most other countries in the world.

I’ll have to go for a visa run.

But think about it. It’s not just having worked and lived here almost 5 years. I rent an apartment here and I want to complete the contract for its duration. They just tell you to get out of here…

Quite sure they would be reasonable enough to let someone sort out his stuff before leaving. I’m talking about important, contractual stuff. Not “I want to take a vacation and take time to say goodbye to friends”.

Quite sure they would be reasonable enough to let someone sort out his stuff before leaving. I’m talking about important, contractual stuff. Not “I want to take a vacation and take time to say goodbye to friends”.[/quote]

Nope… My brother in law was given a deadling in the US with no possible extensions… it’s overstay become and illegal immigrant. It’s not like you knew your contract was coming to an end and did not have time to prepare to leave.

[quote=“Maoman”][quote=“Ectoplasma”]In return for having worked here for nearly 5 years the best they can do is kick you out in 15 days.

I hear you, Ectoplasma. Taiwan is shooting itself in the foot. What a stupid way to run a country! :loco:[/quote]

Canada is no different Maoman for work permits and other non permanent visa’s… duration up leave.

Is your country not shooting itself in the foot also? The reason people are given deadline sis that often they are fixed by law and visa officers cannot just overturn a law for the whim of a foreigner who hes already an extra two weeks past the end of contract. Not like the OP cant leave and come back on a landing visa for the extra 2 weeks. Hardly a big expense… pain in the arse yes but not worth so much bitching about.

The difference lies in the ease of getting permanent residence. By the way I’m heartily sick of your I’m-all-right-Jack attitude.

Exactly.

The difference lies in the ease of getting permanent residence. By the way I’m heartily sick of your I’m-all-right-Jack attitude.[/quote]

What difference… it takes applicants months or even over a year to apply for residence visa’s for Canada. This thread is not about PR visa’s for Taiwan, which many other people find easy enough to get.

The OP is not asking for a permanent resident visa he is asking for an extension of a temporary resident visa which an imigration office may not be able to extend, by law.

I travel a lot. In some places I can only stay a short time with no extensions… suck it in. Many countries have limits with no extenions. So I really do not understand why you are getting all uppity about me.

PS I’m all right Jack, cause I’m a citizen and don’t need to leave. Benfits of citzenship you see. Open to all who want it. But as for other countries I can use an Australian or Taiwan passport and still have limits on temporary residence duration. Use the Taibaozheng and obtain a 5 year multiple entry document for China. Use an Australian passport and get a single or double entry visa for 90 days… perhaps.

Maybe you should just try to understand that not all temporary visa’s can be extended. The OP was granted 15 days after contact completion. Is that unfair?

Not that the OP didnt have enough time to make plans for his departure. It is not the “right” of a guest to “demand” more time for personal affaris which could have been attended to prior to completion of his contract.

[quote=“Ectoplasma”]I’ll have to go for a visa run.

But think about it. It’s not just having worked and lived here almost 5 years. I rent an apartment here and I want to complete the contract for its duration. They just tell you to get out of here…[/quote]

What is to say you cannot complete your contract without being here. You just need to pay your contract in full.

[quote=“Satellite TV”][quote=“Maoman”][quote=“Ectoplasma”]In return for having worked here for nearly 5 years the best they can do is kick you out in 15 days.

I hear you, Ectoplasma. Taiwan is shooting itself in the foot. What a stupid way to run a country! :loco:[/quote]

Canada is no different Maoman for work permits and other non permanent visa’s… duration up leave.

Is your country not shooting itself in the foot also? The reason people are given deadline sis that often they are fixed by law and visa officers cannot just overturn a law for the whim of a foreigner who hes already an extra two weeks past the end of contract. Not like the OP cant leave and come back on a landing visa for the extra 2 weeks. Hardly a big expense… pain in the arse yes but not worth so much bitching about.[/quote]

Stop speaking out of your ass Satellite TV. In fact, in Canada, people being deported or kicked out by immigration have a chance to appeal their case. While this process is happening, they are still allowed to stay in the country. I’m critical of Canada in a lot of areas and Taiwan has done a lot of things right (low taxes, great environment for entrepreneurship etc), but let’s be honest when we are talking about laws for foreigners. The Canadian system is much more fair. Being told to leave in 15 days if a spouse dies or when someone is unable to find a new job right away is pretty inflexable for people that have contributed to the development of the country for a certain period of time. Especially if the country wants to becomea Regional Operations Centre for the Asia Pacific as it is always trying to label itself as. What about the archaic AIDS laws on the books? I once had to write a letter when I was working in government in Taiwan to the embassy of a certain African nation telling them that one of their scholarship students had tested positive for HIV and would be stripped of her scholarship and sent back to her shithole country to die (well the letter didn’t say the last bit). Sure made me feel nice to write such a letter. :unamused:

[quote=“Chewycorns”] Stop speaking out of your ass Satellite TV. In fact, in Canada, people being deported or kicked out by immigration have a chance to appeal their case. While this process is happening, they are still allowed to stay in the country. I’m critical of Canada in a lot of areas and Taiwan has done a lot of things right (low taxes, great environment for entrepreneurship etc), but let’s be honest when we are talking about laws for foreigners. The Canadian system is much more fair.

Being told to leave in 15 days if a spouse dies or when someone is unable to find a new job right away is pretty inflexable for people that have contributed to the development of the country for a certain period of time. Especially if the country wants to becomea Regional Operations Centre for the Asia Pacific as it is always trying to label itself as. What about the archaic AIDS laws on the books? I once had to write a letter when I was working in government in Taiwan to the embassy of a certain African nation telling them that one of their scholarship students had tested positive for HIV and would be stripped of her scholarship and sent back to her shithole country to die (well the letter didn’t say the last bit). Sure made me feel nice to write such a letter. :unamused:[/quote]

Sheesh is the OP being deported or kicked out? Did the OP have a spouse die? Unfair end of contract by dismisal… No just an end of contract… which the OP knew was coming up way in advance… sheesh Whats to appeal? The OP asked for an extension and was told no. Thats so tough … really being told NO must be a real beetch…

[color=#0000FF]This isnt Canada,[/color] Try getting an extension in most countries after 5 years it isnt going to happen. You should have finished off your last sentence to the African student… cause you sure were thinking it.

Sorry to tell you but temporary residents can apply for extensions… they may or may not get an extension. My brother in law had 7 days to get out of the USA after finishing his degree… extensions… not on your nanny.

If I had stayed in Canada for just under 6 months on a 6 month visitor visa would I be given an extension because I had a rent contract that went beyond that? NO. Not possible. Visa’s have a period of validity. SO instead of accepting that the OP has no legal recourse, you whinge and moan.

The OP could easily take a flight to a nearby country and return on a landing or visitor visa.

Temporary residents in all countries do not have many of the same rights as residents. thats a fact. Actually I really would know this having formally issued visa’s of all type for the Australian government when I was posted to Brunei.

Was such a beetch when some people were refused a visa to visit or study, visit, or immigrate to Australia. Such rude Australian Diplomats… the cheek they have to legally refuse to issue a visa…

Taiwan isn;t going to be the regional center of anything… unless it declares formal independence and a war starts with China. Not going down that road.

[quote=“Satellite TV”][quote=“Chewycorns”] Stop speaking out of your ass Satellite TV. In fact, in Canada, people being deported or kicked out by immigration have a chance to appeal their case. While this process is happening, they are still allowed to stay in the country. I’m critical of Canada in a lot of areas and Taiwan has done a lot of things right (low taxes, great environment for entrepreneurship etc), but let’s be honest when we are talking about laws for foreigners. The Canadian system is much more fair.

Being told to leave in 15 days if a spouse dies or when someone is unable to find a new job right away is pretty inflexable for people that have contributed to the development of the country for a certain period of time. Especially if the country wants to becomea Regional Operations Centre for the Asia Pacific as it is always trying to label itself as. What about the archaic AIDS laws on the books? I once had to write a letter when I was working in government in Taiwan to the embassy of a certain African nation telling them that one of their scholarship students had tested positive for HIV and would be stripped of her scholarship and sent back to her shithole country to die (well the letter didn’t say the last bit). Sure made me feel nice to write such a letter. :unamused:[/quote]

Sheesh is the OP being deported or kicked out? Did the OP have a spouse die? Unfair end of contract by dismisal… No just an end of contract… which the OP knew was coming up way in advance… sheesh Whats to appeal? The OP asked for an extension and was told no. Thats so tough … really being told NO must be a real beetch…

[color=#0000FF]This isnt Canada,[/color] Try getting an extension in most countries after 5 years it isnt going to happen. You should have finished off your last sentence to the African student… cause you sure were thinking it.

Sorry to tell you but temporary residents can apply for extensions… they may or may not get an extension. My brother in law had 7 days to get out of the USA after finishing his degree… extensions… not on your nanny.

If I had stayed in Canada for just under 6 months on a 6 month visitor visa would I be given an extension because I had a rent contract that went beyond that? NO. Not possible. Visa’s have a period of validity. SO instead of accepting that the OP has no legal recourse, you whinge and moan.

The OP could easily take a flight to a nearby country and return on a landing or visitor visa.

Temporary residents in all countries do not have many of the same rights as residents. thats a fact. Actually I really would know this having formally issued visa’s of all type for the Australian government when I was posted to Brunei.

Was such a beetch when some people were refused a visa to visit or stufy or immigrate to Australia. Such rude Australian Diplomats… the cheek they have to legally refuse to issue a visa…

Taiwan isn;t going to be the regional center of anything… unless it declares formal independence and a war starts with China. Not going down that road.[/quote]

You said Canada is no different and now you say this isn’t Canada. My point is that there is some sort of fair process for people when it comes to deportation in Canada. Usually this protects the wrong type of person (Asian gang members that should be sent back to China, violent Sikhs), but occasionally it protects a worker that should be allowed to stay. It is often a long drawn out process with human rights lawyers. And yes, even foreigners in Canada are protected by the Charter or Rights and Freedoms. I’m not criticizing Taiwan here. I think longer buffer periods after a working visa expires, a fairer PR system (real PR as in Singapore, and easier naturalization (without having to renounce citixenship) would help attract more talent to Taiwan. I think people in the business community in Taiwan (who are always looking for talented people) feel the same way.

Last sentence for the African student? Nope. I’ve always been a huge supporter of development in Africa as Bush has been. :bravo: That was one task I really hated doing. The humanitarian thing to do would have been to let her finish her education and provide her with anti-viral medications. The deportation order was basically a death sentence. I had a few whiskeys after drafting that one.

The OP is not being deported though… so you are way off on another tangent. I don’t know why you bring this up. The OP is also not asking about permanent residency or citizenship. How is the PR Visa here so different to other countries. Easier critera to get it than other countries. All PR visas can expire if the person leaves the country for an extende period. Same goes for Singapore and Canada.

The OP wanted an extension to a valid temporary visa which was advised it would not be possible. Simple.

The OP was given due process and refused an extension. Simple.

The OP is not being deported though… so you are way off on another tangent. I don’t know why you bring this up.

The OP wanted an extension to a valid temporary visa which was advised it would not be possible. Simple.

The OP was given due process and refused an extension. Simple.[/quote]

But don’t you think the 15-day window is a joke? I mean after building a life in a country (including a wife), and then being told to leave within 15 days after the visa expires? Don’t you think it would be reasonable and fair to extend the window period. Don’t you think the visa policies in Singapore, Malaysia etc. are much better for human resource development and for attracting capable people?