Taiwanese Avocados

You know what I think Taiwan needs to work on. Avocados. Taiwanese avocados aren’t as good as Mexican or Californian ones. But the weather makes them almost all season crop if they wanted. It’s big money if they can figure it out and tap into that market.

2 Likes

I agree that the avos here suck. But to properly cultivate it, Taiwanese first need to grow a taste for it. Some Taiwanese I’ve talked to about it, don’t even know what an avocado is.

1 Like

@Andrew0409
They do grow a lot here. A few small problems though for taiwan. They need a lot of water. Not a real problem on its own but combined with land size it would become one. The land here is small where is other countries they can measure by the kilometer.

Then the size. The local farmers care about money first. The local bad tasting type is 2 to 3 times heavier.

Disease issues and storage i could see being favorable with the smooth skinned type.

But in the end, land size compared to fruit weight and calculate labor costs (and effectiveness) is why taiwan likely wont grow many of the nicer small avacados on a commercial scale :frowning:

@bdog
I am not sure the details. If it is a long term contract and taiwan doesnt mess up contamination, guava prices could go up. But its common, year round harvest and easily grown so i wouldnt expect it at least right away.

For real guava lovers. There is a pink/purple species. Amazingly yummy

3 Likes

I didn’t consider the land issue. I was watching a video about the avocado trade from California and Mexico. And how Mexico has a leg up because they are able to grow them all year. I thought Taiwan would also be great with all the rain and warm weather. Because one problem Mexico runs into is the water. They have land and weather but a water shortage.

Taiwan isn’t Mexico, the US, Europe, or any other countries.

Taiwan needs to work on the stuff they produce, unique to them, for example bubble tea.

Taiwan produces so many delicious fruits, some indigenous to Taiwan. They should continue growing those rather than growing some foreign crops that farmers here may not know how to grow, or care to learn how to grow.

2 Likes

buying avocado here is a right pain in the ass. they are either over ripe or rock hard. last time i bought some they were ripe for about 5 minutes then became over ripe dark brown pieces of crap.

2 Likes

The avocado that most people who eat them is “Hass” which is from eastern Los Angeles County for the most part is dry. Taiwan is too humid to grow Hass (it may grow but not well) . Hass is from the Puente Hills, big Taiwanese area and I am sure some Taiwanese-Americans have tried to grow them in Taiwan. Result is the Avocado the best grows here is what you seen grown here (its same type grown in Hawaii). Now since California labour is expensive , its grown in Mexico with it’s cheap labour but a climate like California. It’s also grown in New Zealand . It’s not land issue, just what can grown well in Taiwan https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hass_avocado

3 Likes

Yes, Taiwan does not grow Hass avocados. Hass is def. one of the more popular ones coming out of Cali and Mexico

Hass type is 80% of the worldwide market per wiki.

Seems like the Taiwan avocados could be used to make dips and other things that need avocado for ingredients but don’t rely purely on the taste of the avocado.

1 Like

The creaminess and texture imo is pretty good. Just not as flavorful.

This is pretty much on the nose from i have read and seen as well. But the land thing is real as there are small areas in Taiwan that is suitable for hass. Although still likely higher disease issues compared to california and arid mexico. Basically parts of Taitung county. But therein lies the land issue problem. So its kind of pointless especially considering they can be imported fairly cheap. I would support NZ over SA avacado but i have been on the farms in NZ briefly and would say they have similar, though smaller, issues environmentally as SA. And far less violence. In taitung land ranges around 600,000-2,500,000 per fen (roughly 1/4 acre)
This equals about $80,000-$333,000 USD per acre. Even at an estimated 100k usd per acre it becomes pointless here in the few areas suitable. Then there is setup cost, labor and waiting a few years. Only with rented land is it conceivable but with the issues in that its also quite hard for many reasons. Being able to rent ag land is a bit tough, crops need to suit the land, private land owners are not reliable for extended periods etc. Its really tough. So farmers tend not to innovate anymore hinless they are rich, gov connected or aboriginals with land.

@taiwan_luthiers

Thats the right idea. There are people doing this now. Us included. We are actually in taipei now meeting a new project for exactly that point. Its slow, but happening taiwan has an amazing array of floral endemism.

@bhl4life
Ripening is an issue of commerce. Picking underripe fruit and storing, ripening techniques all are reaponsible. If they were grown here, or closer to here, this issue would be more easily solved. Or if they cared to invest in the technology and study to import better.

@tango42
Yep. Pretty much. And considering the market here (using fruit and salt/sugar powders on already flavorful fruit) its not worth the logistics issues to grow here. Like, at all.

1 Like

Vietnam has a strong avocado game. They make really good shakes out of them.

I was not aware they produce avocados. Do locals even like them?

When processed, the taiwanese ones are good too. As is, they dont compete as a fruit
They are marketable as an ingredient though

1 Like

You bet. They drink them in shakes all the time. (Trái bó)

1 Like

I had a chance to use this “organic” avocados for my small restaurant (apparently grown totally free of any chemicals) from a small vendor who has several avocado trees in his garden. It is one of those HUGE avocado variety and this tasted far better than the popular imported avocados from US and Mexico (same creamy texture and taste, but far better flavor.) The problem with this was that it was seasonal and I can only get them once a year.

So, if you look around, Taiwan’s avocado game isn’t as bad as one might think. I was thoroughly impressed with this avocado and I hope to get my hands on them again.

1 Like

I have not tried Taiwan avocados in years due to the bland taste. I might give them a try again.

Avocados from Hawaii look very similar to Taiwan avocados, but the Hawaii ones are crazy flavorful…even stronger nutty creamy flavor than Haas. Perhaps they are just different varieties, but I’d guess climate and moisture and ground nutrients have a big factor.

Current island wide picks. Note the taiwanese ones and all that plastic. In taipei now and a bit shocked at supermarket packaging. Theyve gone full on japanese.

Seems high end fruits packed like this, go to local market they sell like many places by size/ or heavy it is, price per 100 grams like a western supermarket/hyper.