Taiwanese Avocados

They require a lot of work to add some kind of flavour.

At least they don’t go from rock hard to rotten within a day like the imported Hass.

Was lucky this year one of our avocado trees decided to kick into gear (the one on top right row…far right–“black beauty person”). Taste was good.
As for ripening…skin does not turn all brown but rusty spots increase. Also did not get very soft. Well, this year we were able to “practice” waiting for the avocado to be ripe since we had so many on-hand.

This seems to be the non-Taiwan avocado guide.

I know when a common avocado is ripe.

Taiwan avocado are different, twice or more as large, among other differences.

I once lived on a six acre avocado grove in southern California. They were hass. The best ones were the ones that fell off the tree and ripened under the leaves.

The Taiwanese ones can still be ripened even after being cut early. I cut one right open recently, it was horribly hard and bitter. I wrapped it up tight and put it in the fridge until it turned soft. Pity it tasted ordinary when it did ripen, chucked it in the end. Pointless exercise really.

No avocado will taste good ripening in a fridge.

Why is that? Someone on here suggested it, turned out to be dud advice. Or the avocado was gross to begin with.

It won’t ripen properly in a fridge. How could it?