Taiwanese Citizenship and Renunciation

Update: I received a letter from HRO, My district mentioning 6 points:

1. My name and date of application of intention of naturalization under article 3.
  2. They checked and confirmed my documents by X date and immigration status.
  3. I don’t have a criminal record in Taiwan, so cleared.
  4. I am married to a Taiwanese citizen so criminal record from my country of origin is not required.
  5. I have been in Taiwan for 5 consecutive years with more than 183 days each year.
  6. My country of origin does not allow renunciation of citizenship :grin: and that my country does not allow dual citizenship :scream:

Did you receive this letter @DakenX ?

Not yet, and you?

Sorry bad quote, I meant the letter I just explained in my above post?

No, how did you receive this letter?

Btw, you can use the following link to check for the latest update on your application:

1 Like

You mean for Honduras or Taiwan?

For Honduras.

That’s strange. I wonder how did the HRO know about this rule? Did they double check with our embassy?

I panicked so I called HRO.
She mentioned that she got it from the database of info from MOI. That the wordings were too long and she summarized it pointing out the two most important things. Apparently MOI will decide if I need to provide the letter from our embassy or not.
I told her I don’t understand the point of the letter and she said that she is just letting me know the info she sent to MOI.

1 Like

Here is the actual screenshot:

1 Like

Got it, please keep me updated if HRO have further saying on this.

A few weeks ago a friend of mine shared with me a copy of the No Objection Letter from our embassy, it doesn’t say anything about double nationality thou. So I guess should be fine? The rule you shared above seems to be enacted last year, right? Hope it doesn’t complicate things for us…

1 Like

Sure thing!

The No Objection Letter might be called like that to show that the country or embassy doesn’t object to you getting another citizenship. My guess is that MOI will need this letter eventually to prove that the government does not object…

Did your friend had to translate that letter or can we give it “as is”?

1 Like

It needs to be translated into Chinese, notarize by notary public and take it to BOCA for authentication.

1 Like

Got it in the mail.

1 Like

I just found this article which seems to be related to our case:

Artículo 25 Mientras resida en Honduras ningún hondureño por nacimiento podrá invocar nacionalidad distinta de la hondureña.
Translation: Article 25 While residing in Honduras, no Honduran by birth may invoke nationality other than Honduran.

So It looks like it shouldn’t be an issue for us cause we’re not currently residing in Honduras

1 Like

Seems like she arbitrarily copied only this:

and completely omitted this:

3 Likes

Would be great if MOI doesn’t ask us for this letter, will definitely save us a lot of hassle.

1 Like

She was kind enough to send me the full text of where she got that from, she said MOI has this and she just summarized it to make it less long but that MOI will still review their own information.

1 Like

Thanks for sharing, i was checking the upper part of the image and just curious to know why it says “return Peruvian ID and passport”.

maybe it doesn’t have any relevance at all, sorry to bringing that up.

@frank_hnd I took the liberty to translate the full text (I broke down the text into 3 sections for better viewing) as shown below :

Dual nationality is not recognized, and nationals who have Honduran nationality at birth cannot apply for renunciation of nationality during their residence in the country (Honduras).

However, in practice, those who are born with a Honduran nationality who have applied for naturalization in a foreign country or who have already naturalized with Honduran nationality will automatically lose their nationality. There is no system for applying for loss of nationality.

There are also no relevant regulations on the working time required to handle the loss of nationality, and it will not be accepted in practice.

1 Like