Taiwanese Citizenship and Renunciation

[quote=“Satellite TV”]Sheesh its not about a passport ffs. Its about ones allegience to the country of one’s citizenship.[/quote]\

The actual issue here is simply is this a good policy? Will it benefit Taiwan? So far none of the detractors have come up with a single point against the policy. Oh,and the fact that STV or llary or anyone else will begrudge new immigrants getting an easier ride than them is not an argument, just in case that isn’t clear.

[quote=“Mucha Man”][quote=“Satellite TV”]Sheesh its not about a passport ffs. Its about ones allegience to the country of one’s citizenship.[/quote]\

The actual issue here is simply is this a good policy? Will it benefit Taiwan? So far none of the detractors have come up with a single point against the policy. Oh,and the fact that STV or llary or anyone else will begrudge new immigrants getting an easier ride than them is not an argument, just in case that isn’t clear.[/quote]

Excuse me MM but did you read where I wrote I supported not having to renounce in order to become an ROC Citizen?
Please do not go around stating I begrudge new immigrants getting an easier ride when that is simply not true.

[quote=“Mucha Man”][quote=“Satellite TV”]Sheesh its not about a passport ffs. Its about ones allegience to the country of one’s citizenship.[/quote]\

The actual issue here is simply is this a good policy? Will it benefit Taiwan? So far none of the detractors have come up with a single point against the policy. Oh,and the fact that STV or llary or anyone else will begrudge new immigrants getting an easier ride than them is not an argument, just in case that isn’t clear.[/quote]

The other 70,000 people who immigrated didn’t mind the idea. Lots of countries don’t allow dual nationality either.

Exactly why some countries would refuse you application for citizenship. You have no loyalty to the country so why would they want to confer citizenship on you?

So does Germany and many other countries.

[quote=“cyborg_ninja”][quote=“Muzha Man”][quote=“Satellite TV”]Sheesh its not about a passport ffs. Its about ones allegience to the country of one’s citizenship.[/quote]\

The other 70,000 people who immigrated didn’t mind the idea. Lots of countries don’t allow dual nationality either.[/quote]

So you opposition is simply about emotions and not whether this policy is actually good for the country you love? I find that a very odd position to take.

[quote=“Satellite TV”][quote=“dan2006”] In a lot of cases, the sheer fact that you look like a foreigner, citizen or not, is enough for them to say it’s not possible.

And yes, here in Canada the government notifies the banks when you become a non citizen or non resident, and banks are not interested in having someone who doesnt live in the country having access to unsecured credit. Can’t say that I blame them either. [/quote]

Thats is completely untrue. Please back up this claim where a citizen here has been refused finances because they look like a foreigner.

Also when I got my first ARC here I filed a last tax resturn in Australia and my banks changed my status to a non resident account. Different taxes apply. I still have unsecured credit from my bank in Australia. They dont go around cancelling your account. I also know foreiengers who kept there accounts in Canada as non residents living outside of Canada.[/quote]

I take back the citizen or not line as it was an unsubstantiated comment.

But I can say from personal experience that even for permanent residents or people on an ARC, the government will say that we should not be treated differently when opening a bank account if we have the correct paperwork, or a cell phone account etc, but that certainly isn’t the case when you go in there. Roadblocks get thrown up. So in a sense, I would not be willing to risk it giving up a known passport and perhaps not be able to get it back based on experiences I had so far. I love Taiwan more than Canada as a whole, but based on my experiences, not worth the risk to get rid of the other one.

And if banks are aware of your non resident status, they will close the account if they get wind of it. What bank in their right mind would allow open credit lines when you don’t live there. You can cash out and bail and they know this. The banks I deal with explicitly said they won’t allow my credit accounts to stay open if i declare non residency. I think you are lucky that you got to keep yours.

[quote=“cyborg_ninja”]I had a friend who had HK, Taiwan, US and Canadian citizenship (Dad had HK/Taiwan cit, born in US, had family sponsor citizenship in Canada) and apparently (his words) the Canadian gov terminated his Canadian citizenship since he had 3 other citizenship as they asked him to renounce one other citizenship and he refused.
[/quote]

Subsection 15(1) of the prior citizenship statute did contain a prohibition against dual nationality. The text of this subsection is reproduced below:

Canadian citizens who, when outside Canada and not under a disability, by voluntary and formal act other than marriage, acquired the nationality of citizenship of a country other than Canada, thereupon ceases to be a Canadian citizen.

I never had a problem on my ARC in the 1990’s. Yes having ROC nationaltiy is not worth it to you. So even if you wre not required to renounce it’s still not worth it right?

Exactly why some countries would refuse you application for citizenship. You have no loyalty to the country so why would they want to confer citizenship on you?[/quote]

For the same reason hoards of people come to Canada, even on boats.
Opportunity. And we let them in no problems.

Why?
Canada hopes to get some tax revenues later, sort of symbiotic.
It builds up Canada’s competitiveness in many industries
It puts them on the map to have a large, thriving immigrant population

Yes pretty much the same visa free entry Taiwan passport holders have. Not that it’s hard to get a visa if one was required to have one. Of course if you want to go to China then you pay a nice price as a Canadian and get a restricted Visa whereas Taianese get much better treatment. :smiley:

Yes mulling but it does not allow dual naitonality just like Germany. Fact is a few countries allow dual naitonality most don’t.

Yes pretty much the same visa free entry Taiwan passport holders have. Not that it’s hard to get a visa if one was required to have one. Of course if you want to go to China then you pay a nice price as a Canadian and get a restricted Visa whereas Taianese get much better treatment. :smiley:[/quote]

I have a few friends in China that always ask me to visit but I never really had any interest.
Hainan was the only real place that I might want to visit…

Anyway, im going off topic… good night. :slight_smile:

[quote=“Mucha Man”][quote=“cyborg_ninja”][quote=“Muzha Man”][quote=“Satellite TV”]Sheesh its not about a passport ffs. Its about ones allegience to the country of one’s citizenship.[/quote]\

The other 70,000 people who immigrated didn’t mind the idea. Lots of countries don’t allow dual nationality either.[/quote]

So you opposition is simply about emotions and not whether this policy is actually good for the country you love? I find that a very odd position to take.[/quote]

I have stated on this forum for many years I support the dropping of the renunciation requirement. What opposition have I stated to foreigners becoming ROC Citizens, when in fact I have actively given people full copis of all my documents so they can more easily process thier own applications and not need to use a lawyer, just as I processed my own application back in the 1990’s way before there were any interent forums or governmetn websites to use to help out.

Exactly why some countries would refuse you application for citizenship. You have no loyalty to the country so why would they want to confer citizenship on you?[/quote]

For the same reason hoards of people come to Canada, even on boats.
Opportunity. And we let them in no problems.

Why?
Canada hopes to get some tax revenues later, sort of symbiotic.
It builds up Canada’s competitiveness in many industries
It puts them on the map to have a large, thriving immigrant population[/quote]

That’s immigration not naturalization. Two completely different things. Most of you that bitch about renunciation are just citizens of convenience, where you hold no loyalty to the country you’re becoming a citizen of.

In my case I would want to be crazy to give up my European passport. For one I have family I need to visit in my home country. For another I work for a British company and need to fly into the Uk every year and other European countries for work. Yet another are the very significant advantages for education and working purposes in my home country and in other European countries that my children would enjoy as long as they are resident for a few years and a passport holder.
I also travel in Asia for work and Taiwanese need to apply for visas to places that I don’t although I still need to apply for a lot of visas!
The visa situation is quickly getting better for Taiwanese at least.
Finally there is no way I am dumping my original nationality which I am proud of.

None of these reasons above mean that I would not be a proud holder of a Taiwanese passport.

Are you having a Fred Smith moment then, and just arguing for the sake of argument?

I travel in Asia all the time with no need for vias’a except for Pinoy land. You can visit family on a visitor visa if required just as I did, not an issue.

Of course all non citizens of Australia ( except Kiwi Citizens who can come either as visitors or apply for residency on arrival ) require a visa to enter anyways. So not an issue there.

Are you having a Fred Smith moment then, and just arguing for the sake of argument?[/quote]

No, but you are by misinforming others that I do not support foreigners becoming ROC nationals. Yes there are clear advantages having dual nationality and I believe it does bring trade and other benefits to both countries not just one. The ROC government feels that renunciation is a requirement nothing I can do about that. Nothing I need to do about that. Mianly I provide an export service and all countries like exports bringing in foreign currency.

I have ensured that myself and my children have dual nationality, if my son needs to he will do his military service here. But he would not be required too if he serves in the Australian military as an officer which is what he is planning on doing, and has already submitted his application for a military career in Australia. He just needs to be able to have the last ten years of his live examined to get the necessary security clearences.

Haha I actually saw Fred Smitg say he was going to vote for Obama in the next election! Something in the air perhaps?

I could do with the taibaozheng to go into China on , that would be handy. Cue Sat TV to follow with his ‘I was standing in line with my taibaozheng and …’.