Taiwanese food sucks!

One can also disregard tourists.

2 Likes

The old switcheroo

1 Like

The 10,000 NT$ beef noodles should be OK.

Noooo… beef noodles are the BEST! I just didn’t enjoy how people were all packed in there so tightly, especially at the place where I ate in Kaohsiung. I had people hovering over me waiting for me to leave so they could sit down and eat. Didn’t enjoy feeling rushed. But beef noodles… no complaints!

By the way, if you’re ever in Bangkok, there’s a fantastic Taiwanese restaurant in Sutthisan near Huay Kwang and their beef noodles are better than the places I tried in Taiwan. They also have xiao long bao.

Sure beats sliced pig ear…

Yummy!

2 Likes

It’s crispy, it has

|Vitamin B6 0mg|1%|
|Vitamin B12 0μg|2%|
|Calcium 20mg|2%|
|Iron 1.7mg|21%|
|Magnesium 7.8mg|3%|
|Phosphorus 26.6mg|3%|
|Zinc 0.2mg|2%|
|Copper 0mg|1%|
|Manganese 0mg|1%|
|Selenium 4.9μg|7%|
|Thiamine 0mg|2%|
|Riboflavin 0.1mg|5%|
|Niacin 0.6mg|4%|

None of those ingredients sound tasty. The battery I just bit down on has more rare metals than a pigs ear, but it didn’t taste as good.

1 Like

I hate Yoshinoya and like Taiwanese food. Coincidence ? :grin:

Less rare metals, better taste

You have to know what you like.

And a lot of food is an acquired taste , it’s really not familiar to most Westerners and even many Asians.

Because it’s bloody 'orrible.

Most Asians and Westerners know Thailand’s Tom Yum Goong because it’s delicious.

Taiwan’s You yu gang mifen ( 魷魚 羹米粉), and oolong mian, on the other hand…

Nobody mentions these dishes on the tourism promotion/ I love Taiwan websites for a reason.

1 Like

Well that is a point , but I just can’t enjoy a Chicken Foot …don’t know where it’s been …now chicken ass seems ok :wink: I can call it the “ parson’s nose “

That’s your opinion.
I like some of that stuff and I also like Thai food. If all Asian food was just Thai food that would be bloody boring to me too…

I’m not very partial to oolong mian myself but Japanese love that stuff. The texture is an acquired taste.

I have failed, a couple of times, trying to finish a chicken foot. Wife on the other hand loves them .

The food in Taipei to me is nothing special with few exceptions.

Breakfast at the Hyatt springs to mind :wink: yum yum

The food in Taipei can be exceptional, and is very varied, but you have to look for the good stuff and also be willing to try real Chinese food.
Stuff like ma you ji… Goose restaurants…local stir fry and sea food restaurants …
If I want strong flavoured authentic Chinese food , not watered down for tourists …I choose Taiwan every time.

1 Like

I think a lot of people who for example open a foreign cuisine restaurant, cut corners by using cheap ingredients. Which leads to a mediocre taste.

Thailand also has dishes no ones ever heard of and probably not so palletable to most people. It’s not like they eat Tom yum all the time. Vietnam has a lot of food that I find gross like rat meat. But they have pho.

Comparing beef noodle soup to Tom yum seems more fair.

1 Like