Taiwanese food sucks!

Maybe :slight_smile: Been 25 years since I had one though!

Bruh, sounds like you’re having a bit of bad luck finding the right restaurants.

Home cooking, that’s what it’s all about.

Thank you for that. I’m going to start practicing for the Taiwan citizenship interview by looking in the mirror every day and repeating “I love cho dofu but I had to stop eating it for health reasons.”

3 Likes

It’s not as weird as a foreigner eating balut and drinking rum with the locals in the Philippines.

It’s the being appreciated by the locals part for eating the tofu, then they tell you now you’re Taiwanese.

:face_with_monocle:

It’s actually healthy as it’s fermented, but off course deep frying it changes that.

Well well look at that.

5 Likes

Bizarre…Korean food is much better than Taiwanese food.

It’s not.

3 Likes

Those things are freakin’ delicious. Try it if you haven’t.

1 Like

19 posts were split to a new topic: From Taiwanese Food

The Nikkei article linked above didn’t say Korean food was “bad” or “badder”; it said it was “challenging.” And if you are vegetarian or vegan, it is. :slight_smile:

But if you’re doing to choose a foreign correspondents’ hub based on food, why not just all hang out in Tokyo where there is something for pretty much everyone.

Guy

Reads like the author is the latest ‘numba one’ crowd recruit.

1 Like

I wonder if the writer has ever been here :wink:

I think it’s been established that you guys are the minorities here. I advise accepting that and stop being bitter.

1 Like

I would definitely accept more bitterness, at least that is a flavour!

That said, I’ve recently moved to a more food-positive location and my general impression has ticked up slightly

2 Likes

Yeah the key point is find the right places.

Heaps of eateries and random joints in Taiwan are operated by folks who are doing this to stay alive, make a living, not because they are talented, careful, or even competent. After being in Japan, this was very hard to get used to!

It takes a while to find the good guys. When you do, stick to them and support them.

Guy

4 Likes

One other word of wisdom I remember some forumosan posting years ago: ignore what the locals recommend (unless you really trust them), get a copy of a Japanese guidebook to Taiwan, and—if you are able to do so—start checking out those places. :slight_smile:

Guy

2 Likes