Taiwanese food sucks!

Hear hear, quite impressed by the small restaurants popping up serving European cusines, Italians mostly recently, but found decent Spanish (at least for a non-Iberian person) and some nice French places.

I can eat Taiwanese food, although I prefer Hakka since a bit saltier.

I love the quality and quantity (for price) of Japanese places here, there are also some nice Indian gems and found also some sweet Korean spots.

Can’t really complain about food here tbh

4 Likes

By the way what is Spanish food? Is it tacos and nachos?

I think most people in this thread are talking about prepared food.

I just went to the traditional markets this morning, lots of fresh vegetables there. Beats the hell out of some supermarket smelling like disinfectant, and everything in plastic wrap. Each to their own I suppose.

Not even remotely, tapas, paella, tortilla, gazpacho, jamon, croquetas, etc… Just to say the most famous.

1 Like

So Spanish eats tortilla but doesn’t make burrito or tacos with it?

We used to ride burros, but now we have cars. We still say a lot of tacos.

1 Like

:roll:

I’m definitely interested in recommendations! Our Spanish restaurant thread hasn’t been updated since 2010.

2 Likes

Oh my god the BBC. The only photos that look legit are the ones from pollo al ajillo (I’m being generous with this one) and cochinillo asado. The others look like something cooked by Jamie Oliver.

Oops! Oh well. Perhaps I was foolish to attempt to demonstrate the usefulness of Google.

Cochinillo con patatas… Salivating

1 Like

The text of the article is good, some minor mistakes like the green chilli in gambas al ajillo. But, overall the article is well written (I haven’t checked the linked recipes). Also the top 10 is fine, everyone will have a different top 10 but none of those foods look like out of place.

But the photos… No Spanish person was involved in the making of those dishes.

2 Likes

A Spanish tortilla is completely different than a Mexican/Central American tortilla. The Spanish version is basically an omelet.

7 Likes

It’s been too long since I’ve made one of those… maybe next time I’ll actually get it out of the skillet in one piece!

2 Likes

Yes, but not because you chose a bad example

1 Like

I had leftover potatoes from my Salisbury steak (which was awesome, by the way) and almost did a potato omelet this morning, but for the amount of potato I had would have needed 4 eggs so did a 2 egg cheese omelet with a big side of golden potatoes.

Also considered breakfast at one of the 3 MWD nearby, but no I didn’t :joy:

2 Likes

:drooling_face:

Huh? That’s Mexican.

No. They definitely don’t.

1 Like

Can we get back to how Taiwanese food sucks ass, instead of pontificating and blathering about Spanish food?

Taiwanese food is fine. The only problem is that it gets overhyped by locals and various vloggers, food tourists etc to a level way beyond reality.

It’s not bad but also very far from one of the great cuisines of the world. Another issue is low quality of ingredients used by Taiwanese restaurants and accepted by the locals to keep prices low. What you pay for is what you get…

7 Likes