Taiwanese food sucks!

This topic is basically used by those people to complain of course there would be selection bias.

25 people not only isn’t majority, some of them are probably duplicate accounts.

There are other places, even street vendors that sell this kind of traditional sausages. Although, it definitely is more rare than the factory-made kind.

My guess for why affordable food is getting worse in Taiwan back when this thread first started. Although, affordable food usually is pretty crappy in Europe and the US as well.

1 Like

Around 30 different people commented within those 100 posts. I would say 25 out of 30 is majority.

Are you telling me that people in this thread are creating multiple accounts on Forumosa, and posting using different usernames, just so they can make it seem like most people here think the food in Taiwan sucks?

Well, I haven’t considered that possibility, but if anything, you would be my number one suspect. Those 5 people who said they loved Taiwan food were all you, weren’t they? Admit it.

6 Likes

It’s on the cog button at the top right of the text input box, then “Build Poll”. :slight_smile:

1 Like

It’s probably the majority under this topic used by those people to throw shit on, not the majority of the overall users, let alone all expats in Taiwan.

Yes.

Ok, then I will create a poll in a new thread. See you there!

Flavor and texture

Making up numbers is easy

For me, it’s the lack of complex flavors, and just the overall blandness.

1 Like

There’s nothing to get. They think their personal preference = everyone’s personal preference. That’s all there is.

3 Likes

Can you be a bit more explicit? What flavours specifically do you not like (or are missing)? Which textures feel wrong?

I really can’t relate to this. Something that relies heavily on garlic, onions, oil and salt is unlikely to be bland.

I suppose some of it might boil down to poor ingredients used at cheap eateries. There are various different kinds of fermented bean paste (豆瓣醬), for example, and they are wildly different in their flavour profiles. The cheap stuff from the supermarket is the equivalent of Prego spaghetti sauce in a jar - I doubt they’re even fermented, or if they are it’s done by some accelerated method. Same applies to soy sauce.

1 Like

Are you sure you are describing Taiwanese food here? Taiwanese food is not known for the generous use of garlic, onions, or salt. I taste more garlic in French or Italian food than in Taiwanese food.

Oil, yes, but oil is pretty much flavorless.

I do like me some good bean paste, but the Taiwanese version is very much watered down compared the that found in Sichuan province where bean paste comes from.

1 Like

Hmmm. You might have a point here. I suppose it depends what you call “native” Taiwanese. Most of it is adapted from or borrows from Chinese cooking. If you’re talking about the uniquely Taiwanese “delicacies” (the ones that have retained Taiwanese names) then I’m starting to see what you mean.

It’s critical for carrying other flavours, though. I’m comparing here with modern Western food, which is often deliberately “low fat” and correspondingly flavour-free.

Yes, definitely.

Right, but even the “borrowed” Chinese dishes here in Taiwan are much more tasteless than their original counterparts.

And it’s not just the Chinese dishes. Japanese ramen in Taiwan is less salty than that in Japan. Pasta in Taiwan is less sour than that in Italy. Mala hotpot in Taiwan is less spicy than that in Sichuan. American dishes in Taiwan are less creamy than that in America.

Except nobody said that

Yes. Go live in central China for a few years, and the Middle East, and South East Asia (especially Thailand and Vietnam). Don’t expect good Chinese food in the Middle East, but otherwise you can experience all the flavors and textures.

Here there is soggy, and soggy. Seems a lot of sugar and 5 spice, I’ve considered bringing my own salt and hot sauce in my bag in the future

2 Likes

And don’t forget squishy (AKA QQ).

1 Like

I honestly don’t think all Taiwanese food sucks. Some of it does, and here is where I like to share about that. It’s a safe space, safe from being persecuted by @Gain 's underlings, of which there are millions, for being freedom hating wumaos for not liking o-a mi sua.

Pretty sure they’re all fake accounts that he created. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Maybe not in those exact words, but it’s basically what they (you) mean.