Taiwanese food sucks!

Nope. Not what I mean.

Me, too

Based on my experience, and the experience of most expats I communicate about this with, the average is very low. Very rare I can justify a better complement than “it is food”. Also very rare that I just pay and walk out to find something else to eat.

But pretty consistently if I try something random or something is put in front of me, disappointing.

3 Likes

Huh. I’m very rarely disappointed these days. You’ve just got to lower your expectations! (Or find better food, but I’ve found the latter option more difficult.)

2 Likes

Just came back from Cambodia and the amazing food there once again reassured me that, unfortunately, Taiwanese food really sucks…

Biggest problem for me is that most of the food here is tasteless… Terrible quality meat without any spices, not even salt or pepper. Soups that are basically water + fat, chicken randomly chopped with bones, SWEET SAUSAGE (yet every Taiwanese I tell about our traditional strawberry or blueberry dumplings says it must be disgusting to have sweet dumplings…), overcooked oily vegetables, “pig flavored cotton candy” etc.

Everywhere else in the world I just go to eat in a random place and the worst that happened so far was that the food was “just okay”

At the beginning of my life in Taiwan I did the same, and had so many disgusting food that I forced myself to finish (raised in “wasting food is a sin” culture) so I’m now really hesitant to try new places as most of the time it’s just disappointing… no matter it’s cheap or expensive place.

99/100 times I just choose Japanese/Korean/Vietnamese/Thai/Western/basically every other country’s food than local food. To be honest I only eat local food in a few places where I know the food is good.
For example there’s literally only one place in the whole Taiwan where I can eat 魯肉飯, in other places I’ve tried it, it was absolutely disgusting :frowning:

On the other hand I kind of like 臭豆腐 and 皮蛋, at least these have T A S T E !!
Also dumplings are mostly okay.

6 Likes

Did you vote?

2 Likes

Lol same when I eat salty sweet potato. Idk why the pizza hut flavors are okay but just salt and sweet potato is so out off place from them.

1 Like

What a joke.

2 Likes

Still better than “let’s cook a piece of low quality chicken with absolutely nothing except water, then chop it without removing bones and skin and serve it like that” :smiley:

2 Likes

I’ve eaten plenty of worse meals in various different countries than the worst of the worst in Taiwan lol

Good for you then!
I’d rather only eat infamous British or American cuisine for the rest of my life than Taiwanese.

I’m really not a picky eater and my threshold is really really low and still Taiwan is the only place in the world so far where I’ve said numerous times already that the food was disgusting… mostly because it has zero taste.
If the food has any taste and even I don’t like that taste, I will never judge it as disgusting, just not my taste

1 Like

Growing up eating home-cooked pulao, biryani, kabab, chicken karahi, tikka masala, paneer and all those delicous indian/pakistan foods, it has been an adjustment for sure. My wife likes most of the local food, but I find it a bit bland, except when they make it sweet, which pisses me off even more. For a while my wife called me “Mr. Chat masala” because I would sprinkle it on most of the local foods I ordered on Uber.

One of the things I like to do sometimes is to buy full roast chicken from costco then recook it with a bit of masala and tomatoes/onions etc. I give the same treatement to IKEA meatballs. Turn it in to a meat-ball curry with peas and potatoes. Luckily for me, we have a mix of indian/filipino foods cooked at home from time to time, so we don’t have to eat local food every single day. That’d be difficult for me.

10 Likes

The Chichen feet. Knock yourself out!

2 Likes

Mmm, chichen feet. :drooling_face:

1 Like

we used to eat them too in Italy, especially in the countryside, now very uncommon, but it was a treat for the farmers.

1 Like
1 Like

My friend went to get some pizza for dinner last night, as the wife and I were visiting. He was drunk off his face. He mistakenly got two pepperoni pizzas (I’m vegetarian, mostly), and some chicken in batter. I couldn’t stomach the pepperoni, so I tried the chicken. It was gristle covered in batter.
Seriously, if that is what Taiwanese like, they have the taste of rabid wolves.

2 Likes

I think I had some of that at a teppanyaki place at the weekend. I hadn’t been to this particular place for a couple of years but remembered it as being better and less chewy. :nauseated_face:

I mostly use breast meat when I’m cooking chicken at home. Legs and wings are also fine on occasion, but coating something that’s 40% gristle in batter is just vile.

Yeah sure only western foreign people🙄 Taiwanese are extremely xenophobic, only western people can live like a king in Taiwan, wake up man.

It also seems at least 40% of the fried chicken here, IME. Pretty tough to fuck up fried chicken, but that’s why there is this thread

1 Like