Taiwanese Girls' "Helium" Voices

What the hell is that little girl voice that some Taiwanese women have? They sound like they’ve been sucking on helium. And why do so many taiwanese people think they were born that way? That can’t be possible. I’ve never heard an adult woman anywhere outside of Taiwan and Japan have that voice defect.

1 Like

The Minnie Mouse voice? They want to sound cute … that’s all …

Cuteness is a major part of daily life … that’s why many girls are dressed oddly … compared to our standards …

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=62425&start=150&hilit=nyan#p1314614
Discussed here as well as other threads.

[quote=“Belgian Pie”]The Minnie Mouse voice? They want to sound cute … that’s all …

Cuteness is a major part of daily life … that’s why many girls are dressed oddly … compared to our standards …[/quote]

But why do they think they are born that way? And is there a name for it in English?

[quote=“shengou”][quote=“Belgian Pie”]The Minnie Mouse voice? They want to sound cute … that’s all …

Cuteness is a major part of daily life … that’s why many girls are dressed oddly … compared to our standards …[/quote]

But why do they think they are born that way? And is there a name for it in English?[/quote]
Why was I born speaking in an natural voice and wearing fashionable clothes that match and flatter my body shape?

Oh, culture. Right.

[quote=“shengou”][quote=“Belgian Pie”]The Minnie Mouse voice? They want to sound cute … that’s all …

But why do they think they are born that way? And is there a name for it in English?[/quote]

the Japanese word is Kawaii

the English word is a compound one ‘annoying as fuck stupid simpleton bitch trying to sound cute as to draw attention to herself and find a potential husband’

Ha ha, I like this name"helium" voice. :laughing:
But I doubt that those girls with “helium voice” think they were born that way.
Maybe you should ask those who like women with that kind of voice.

Annoying sure, but there are plenty of annoying affected voices. Have you ever noticed how news readers (indeed, journalists generally), speak in really weird and/or annoying ways in the West?

I guess in Taiwan they are paid per word … they go darn fast …

It’s a matter of degree - live on the continent in Europe for a while and go to England or the US and you’ll be shocked to hear women speak in “helium” voices. Live for a while in the US and move to Taiwan (or Japan) and… oh, wait - that is what you are talking about, no? :slight_smile:

What you might call “hippie-ish” women in Japan tend to have more natural sounding voices, quite like the second generation hippies i met in Canada and the US, and the students i hang out with in Hualien also don’t have “helium” voices. To me all that all seems very much about not following certain social stereotypes. And that also may have to do with whether a twenty-some female considers herself a girl or a woman…

I once asked a date why she talked that way, and received the following wisdom: Never ask a date why she talks that way.

2 Likes

I used to know a girl who had the squeaky voice and confided to me one day that she hated it. She really was born with it, and couldn’t change it.

Now she’s a mature woman with a baby, and still has the squeaky voice. Poor kid.

Edit: I should add that the information content of what she says is quite high. None of that “so cute!” garbage.

Call the girl with a helium voice while she is still sleeping and she what she sounds like when she answers the phone.

1 Like

does this also apply to gay guys? are their voices artificial?

To a degree, yes, I think some gay guys do exaggerate their voices. I believe there is a natural gay voice range that gay guys have. Some attempt to hide it and some greatly exaggerate it.

It is possible to deepen your voice through voice training exercises, so I believe what has happened is that these girls imitated these voices right at the tweener stage, and were able to train their voices to be wa-wa ish without any effort.

I just can’t believe that these girls would have had these voices if there wasn’t at some point in their life an attempt to speak like a baby.

… and once Taiwanese women become of age, many sound as if they have a cheese grater in the throat …

[quote=“Loretta”]I used to know a girl who had the squeaky voice and confided to me one day that she hated it. She really was born with it, and couldn’t change it.

Now she’s a mature woman with a baby, and still has the squeaky voice. Poor kid.

Edit: I should add that the information content of what she says is quite high. None of that “so cute!” garbage.[/quote]

I run into the quite often too. Sure, plenty of them fake it, but a lot of them are totally genuine about their incredibly squeaky voices. When they speak English they retain their squeakyness, and even when they are mad they can’t help but still sound squeaky. Some fake it, but a lot of Taiwanese don’t.

My Taiwanese friend was telling me she freaked out when a young couple approached her to help them take their picture, and teh girl spoke in such high squeaky pleading tone… plus the whole Hello Kitty look, including freaky fake doll iris contacts. She got goosebumps, she says.

Her conclusion was that she would never find a boyfriend here, as she does not speak cute cutey squeaky. She says girls speak like that because guys actually like it. Yeeck.

[quote=“Icon”]
Her conclusion was that she would never find a boyfriend here, as she does not speak cute cutey squeaky. She says girls speak like that because guys actually like it. Yeeck.[/quote]
I am of the opinion that these things are a self-perpetuating phenomenon. East Asian squeaky voices, pansy men, etc:

Japanese boyfriend weighed almost the same as me, but about 2 inches taller. I’d be like “Please, please gain some weight” but his response was “No, this is how we’re supposed to look. Girls like it in Japan. Girls don’t like muscles”. :loco: :loco: :loco: :loco: :loco:

Having nothing but the ability to think critically, I explained that no, no girl in her right mind would want a man who has the same body build as her little sister. No girl who makes her own decisions anyway. The only reason all the guys in Japan think the girls like them skinny as twigs is that the girls ACCEPT them that way because there is nothing else (or at least its better than the men with the sex dolls or the techies fucking machines). Its the norm for the guys to walk around like twigs and therefore if you as a female are in the market for a man, you had better pretend you like it- cause there is nothing else out there for miles.

And then it simply becomes the norm for you to like men with the body of a 12 year old girl.

So just apply that to the squeaky voices. All girls speaking with squeaky voices cause they are either naturally like that or they were told to do it as a child. Nothing else around for miles so the men accept it cause they have no choice (I think the fact of island nation has a lot to do with this too) and thus they pretend they like it. And then it becomes the norm and the girls actually believe the guyss like this and the guys actually think they like it too.

I honestly don’t mean to make an off color comment…this is a truthful statement. In many, but not all, cases, the childish voice is also a sign of being molested as a child. It’s not always true, so don’t jump to that conclusion. But I wonder how true it is. Dr. Drew was always able to pick it out.