Taiwanese gold diggers

I went on a date with a Taiwanese woman and ended up footing the NT$5000 bill. What are the cultural norms and expectations here, or was she was just an outlier?

We matched on a dating app, and she dressed and looks classy which isn’t necessarily a bad thing. She said she is a doctor in Taipei. The restaurant she picked in Taipei was an expensive one, which also isn’t necessarily a bad thing.

At the end of the date, when the bill arrives, she doesn’t bat an eyelid to take a look at it. When I asked her how she will be paying her half, she makes an excuse about forgetting to bring her purse, so I foot the entire bill.

All the women I’ve dated before were Western women, I’ve really never had a woman on a first date claim to forget her purse and expect me to pay the bill.

What would you have done if you were on a first date and she wanted to go to an expensive restaurant? Or if she told you she forgot her purse? Tell her that’s a damn coincidence because you forgot your wallet too, she should distract the till while you make a run for it? :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Did you get lucky? :laughing: If not, that’s steep.

You aren’t in the west anymore :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

3 Likes

Taiwanese women tend to be like this? Expect the foreigner to pay for everything?

If dinner with her cost US$150 I thought a f- might end up with a child and me stuck with a gold digger, so I said no to a second date because the stars weren’t in alignment.

1 Like

Would not have gone to such an expensive restaurant on first date.
Would’ve done 熱炒 and see if she accepted. If not, forget about her.

10 Likes

Expect men.

If you want traditional women. Eastern and southern Europe and most parts of Asia. You will be expected to pay on dates.

If you want something different, you’ll need to date back in the west.

11 Likes

A hot tea blow job should have been the bare minimum for that price of dinner.

3 Likes

Pay for the date and try again and see what’s really going on

I would never ask a woman on a date to pay or even if I just invited a friend to dinner I would try to pay

Taiwan culture, even generally, is invitee pays or fights like hell to pay

$5000 isn’t necessarily expensive so it’s all relative and perspective. A gold digger might probably have tried a more expensive restaurant

4 Likes

I’ve been out of the game for a long time, but the general rule is not to go to anywhere expensive on a first date. If anyone requests an expensive restaurant in future, decline the date.

3 Likes

Your first mistake.

6 Likes

My wife and I always split it when we were dating, but we didn’t go to expensive places.

Now that we have been married for 15 years, she often eats in mildly expensive places without me and I pay the bill.

10 Likes

LOLZ… yet she probably had her smart phone with her with credit card apps on the phone.

You should work out who is paying before you order.

Look how much money you’re saving!

3 Likes

Why didn’t you scope out the restaurant beforehand on maps?

$5000 is beyond normal lol, that’s like fine dining or something.

She got a great free meal and probably some English practice and you my friend got mugged off! We live and learn.

10 Likes

That sounds very unpleasant

1 Like

Go to KFC and get some spicy chicken.

When I met my wife here in Taiwan I was surprised that she insisted on paying half for everything even though even though her income was a lot less than mine. None of the women I ever dated in the US offered to pay half for anything. They were more likely to tell me what they expected from me in the way of expensive holidays, gifts, or jewelry. That was a long time ago now though. Maybe Taiwanese women are more like Western women today.

3 Likes

I have dated taiwanese women who are willing to split the bill, the ones who just wants me to pay, the ones who are okay paying themselves, the ones who eats a meal and disappear, the ones who tell me they love my company and disappear, the ones who chose the fanciest restaurant, the ones who chose the most traditional restaurants,

What kind of post is this

3 Likes

Forgot psycho 小姐s

1 Like

Agreed, I’ll do that next time.

I was the outsider, so I suggested she take me to a recommended restaurant.

I did. I saw it was expensive. I figured if she was a successful doctor in Taipei, she’d split the bill and also be used to going to fine restaurants. To be honest I don’t mind meeting her at her level, but it has to be genuine and not a one sided relationship.

My company sells medical devices and I’m the VP of business development. I asked her a few medical questions and she dodged the questions and answered along the lines of traditional Chinese medicine, so I guess she wasn’t even a doctor.

2 Likes