Taiwanese misappropriating English words/letters/initials

I think I remember my students in Taiwan many years ago referring to “PK” with the same meaning as “KO” (Knockout), like in terms of boxing.

MTV - meaning “music video” (though in the media this has been largely replaced by MV)

Nothing Taiwanese about that.[/quote]
Really? Where I’m from, Soho is a neighborhood in New York City, short for South of Houston Stree. If not coined in Taiwan, soho (for “small office home office”) may be a Japanese invention that was imported to Taiwan.

Of course, years ago when Heping E. Rd. was spelled Hoping, Soho was short for South of Hoping, i.e., the Shida area. But that was just among foreigners.

Nothing Taiwanese about that.[/quote]
Really? Where I’m from, Soho is a neighborhood in New York City, short for South of Houston Stree. If not coined in Taiwan, soho (for “small office home office”) may be a Japanese invention that was imported to Taiwan.

Of course, years ago when Heping E. Rd. was spelled Hoping, Soho was short for South of Hoping, i.e., the Shi-Da area. But that was just among foreigners.[/quote]“SoHo” is in the dictionary meaning “Small Office/Home Office” therefore it has not been misappropriated. Possibly it’s used here more, but it is correct English.

S.H.E
Still don’t get it. They’re cute.

[quote=“Dr. McCoy”]S.H.E
Still don’t get it. They’re cute.[/quote]
S=Selina
H=Hebe
E=Ella

[quote=“sjcma”]S=Selina
H=Hebe
E=Ella[/quote]

:astonished:

[quote=“Chris”][quote=“sjcma”]S=Selina
H=Hebe
E=Ella[/quote]

:astonished:[/quote]
Why? Does she give you the heebee-jeebees?

[quote=“sjcma”][quote=“Chris”][quote=“sjcma”]S=Selina
H=Hebe
E=Ella[/quote]

Why? Does she give you the heebee-jeebees?[/quote]

No, but I do wonder if she has any Jewish friends…

1 Like

[quote=“Chris”][quote=“sjcma”][quote=“Chris”][quote=“sjcma”]S=Selina
H=Hebe
E=Ella[/quote]

Why? Does she give you the heebee-jeebees?[/quote]

No, but I do wonder if she has any Jewish friends…[/quote]
I’m pretty sure she (or her record company) named herself after the goddess of youth in Greek mythology. The daughter of Zeus and Hera.

I do wonder, though, what the F in F4 stands for.

Back on topic:

3C, referring to consumer electronics. It’s a term many Taiwanese think is used in the West.

[quote=“sjcma”][quote=“Dr. McCoy”]S.H.E
Still don’t get it. They’re cute.[/quote]
S=Selina
H=Hebe
E=Ella[/quote]
3Q sjcma.
I guess when Ella is old enough, she will get her period.

JP - cleanliness freak
I actually read “3Q” (thank you) in a business email yesterday. First time I had seen it written.

A lot of the strange English usage we come across in Taiwan came here via Japan.

An example is “shoto” (from “short circuit”), meaning (I think) “crazy”

[quote=“Chris”]A lot of the strange English usage we come across in Taiwan came here via Japan.

An example is “shoto” (from “short circuit”), meaning (I think) “crazy”[/quote]

Also, “3K” jobs - the k’s standing for kitsui (difficult), kitanai (dirty) and kiken (dangerous). When I translated a reference to this for a government agency, I wanted to change that to “3D” jobs, with a suitable explanation in parentheses, but the person responsible for the document in question insisted on keeping it as “3K”, thus requiring a much more complex parenthesized explanation.

[quote=“sjcma”]
I do wonder, though, what the F in F4 stands for.[/quote]

Flower. I’m not kidding.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/F4_%28band%29

[quote=“Chris”]A lot of the strange English usage we come across in Taiwan came here via Japan.

An example is “shoto” (from “short circuit”), meaning (I think) “crazy”[/quote]

and oh-toe-bye. (auto-bike)

I’d like to suggest to the moderators an idea for a ‘sticky’, which would be a running alphabetized glossary of English words/letters/initials as they appear in Mandarin or Taiwanese usage. This would be a great tool for those learning Chinese who are already here, or those planning to come in the future. And as this is a constantly evolving phenomenon, such a sticky would be a quick, informal and invaluable one-stop source.

Well, PK means something pretty nasty in Cantonese. PK = Pok Gai[/quote]

[quote=“sjcma”]PK is a gamer term that stands for “Player Kill”. It’s been imported into Mandarin as meaning “to attack” or “to attack each other” and has now been expanded to mean “to challenge to a duel”.

Don’t use this term with Cantonese speakers as Elegua pointed out. Otherwise, you may very well be PK’d.[/quote]

I believe you’re all wrong. PK is obviously Pants Kingdom. But don’t ask me why they put a bird in the guy’s pants.

Is that right? I always assumed that it had come from football (or soccer to you Canuckians) - standing for “penalty kick”. A penalty kick in football is one player against the goalkeeper from twelve yards out. It just fit so well that I never questioned that assumption - shows what I know.

Here’s another one and I have no idea what it means: kuso. It seems to be used as an adjective, as in that’s the most kuso game around.