Taiwanese misappropriating English words/letters/initials

A loan from Japanese. It means something is terrible.

I’ll assume you are not joking and really don’t know.

Niao (bird) = male member

[quote=“Dr. McCoy”][quote=“sjcma”][quote=“Dr. McCoy”]S.H.E
Still don’t get it. They’re cute.[/quote]
S=Selina
H=Hebe
E=Ella[/quote]
3Q sjcma.
I guess when Ella is old enough, she will get her period.[/quote]

:roflmao: That made my day. okay well, at least lunch hour.

I was watching some Taiwanese TV news and some of the words that the anchorwoman used confused me.
Here are the words (and when they were used)

PK (a college kid and his buddy in a “walk the bird” marathon?)
QK (a “love motel” whose guests who had the door kicked down by the local cops)
LP (some politician talking about the visit of a Chinese official to Taiwan)
QQ (beef noodle soup in Keelung… think QQ was used to describe the noodles?)

Can someone enlighten me as to what they all mean?

Thanks! :notworthy:

btw, in HKspeak, PK is a swearword, kinda like bastard (literally, telling somewhere to go die in the street).

QQ is internet-gaming slang as well. it’s basically 2 eyes with tears coming out - means don’t cry or complain as in the context “stop complaining, loser.”

I think JB’s are good for Hong Kong, but in Taiwan they have different meanings:

PK - a sudden death head-to-head competition - comes from “penalty kicks”, I believe.
QK - “rest” (a euphemism for sex in a motel)
LP - testicles (used as an insult)
QQ - chewy (in a good way) and succulent

The latter three are all from Taiwanese.

[quote=“Taffy”]PK - a sudden death head-to-head competition - comes from “penalty kicks”, I believe.
[/quote]
Yeah, at first it was a little confusing coming from a place where “PK” means “preacher’s kid” and “LP” means “vinyl record”.

[quote=“Taffy”]I think JB’s are good for Hong Kong, but in Taiwan they have different meanings:

PK - a sudden death head-to-head competition - comes from “penalty kicks”, I believe.

The latter three are all from Taiwanese.[/quote]

thanks! that sure cleared up my confusion. I guess the female anchorwoman can’t realy say the actual words for “QK”
on the news… :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Qk is by itself not a swear word or anything like that. It simply is from the Japanese meaning REST. Taiwan’s smaller hotels have QK and Overnite rates. Qk usually is 2 hours , sometimes 3 hours.

When you check go up to the front desk at a smaller TW hotel they will ask you if you want Qk or All nite.

Especially if you have a chick with you.

Usually Qk you dont need to produce ID, while All nite you may have to as they need to register you and send the log to the local fuzz shop at nite.

If you want any hope of having your noodles arrive al dente, you have to ask them to not overcook them, (“麵不要煮太熟… mian4 bu2yao4 zhu3 tai4 shou2) and that you want them ‘QQ’ (…要QQ的” yao4 QQde).

if I have a hot chick with me, the answer obviously is “ALL NIGHT!!!” :smiley:

(may have to ask for a few extra umbrellas, yes?) :slight_smile:

[quote=“Tsar_Bomba”][quote=“tommy525”]

When you check go up to the front desk at a smaller TW hotel they will ask you if you want Qk or All night.

Especially if you have a chick with you.
[/quote]

if I have a hot chick with me, the answer obviously is “ALL NIGHT!!!” :smiley:

(may have to ask for a few extra umbrellas, yes?) :slight_smile:[/quote]

Unless you (not you you but you in general) :

1. didnt pay for her services for all nite
  2. she needs to go home to her bf/husband
  3. you need to go home to your wife/gf/ boyfriend

All very french here now.

Yes, loosely speaking. More technically, I think that “LP” (lan pha) is the bag (scrotum) and “lan hut” are the testicles. Some more “lan” words: lan dziao (penis); lan mua (male pubic hair); lan sui (male glans).

(No, no fixation here, just been steeping myself in Taiwanese slang lately and this is all part of the “package”.)

Tommy mentions below that this is from Japanese. I wonder what the Japanese term is? Does it come from the English “quickie”?

Another term I’ve heard a couple of times (no, not directed at me) but haven’t been able to pin down is “老BK”. It seems to be pejorative for an older man, but I wonder what its precise derivation and meaning is. Anyone know?

I thought old man was LKK (lao kok kok) ?

Yes, I know the term LKK.

There is a separate term “Lao BK” (“老BK”) and it is pronounced just like that: the “Lao” is pronounced in full and the “B” and “K” are pronounced as the English letters. I’ve heard it in Taiwanese conversation, but I’m not sure whether it is actually a Taiwanese or Mandarin expression. I think it is pejorative for an older man and has some additional connotation beyond purely age-related (this is just my feeling from the context). Anyone?

according to

[wikipedia]http://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/QK[/wikipedia]

it is the Japanese pronunciation of 休憩 kyuukei

[quote=“Meanwhile in Taiwan”][quote=“Rotalsnart”]

Tommy mentions below that this is from Japanese. I wonder what the Japanese term is? Does it come from the English “quickie”?

[/quote]
according to

[wikipedia]http://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/QK[/wikipedia]

it is the Japanese pronunciation of 休憩 kyuukei[/quote]

Interesting, thanks.

came across something strange. apparently now in Chinese slang, courtesy of the Chinese version of American Idol, PK now means (in the Chinese mainland) to argue. I was thrown off by these guys saying “why are they PKing?”; asked someone else and was told, it means they are arguing or in conflict or going head to head. dunno why the letters PK though in this case.

Probably means “going head to head”.

Interesting how phrases mutate in meaning.

A loan from Japanese. It means something is terrible.[/quote]

I know this thread has been here for a while,
but just to clarify Kuso actually means similarly to parody.
Kuso did come from Japanese, but apparently the actual meaning has been altered over the time,
it means sh*t/ damn in Japanese.
These days, if you see the word kuso, it literally means a parody of something or sometimes a really lame joke.