Taiwanese parents hate me :facebook:

I guess there are always those families anywhere. My uncle is white and my aunt married him with no issues.

I think Koreans care more about your class status and wealth. This is a big deal there, families go broke on weddings to show others and stuff. I know in Taiwan many wealthy families I know tend to get their kids to marry each other. They tried to set me up a few times.

1 Like

Why do you guys know all these crazy families when I know none?

4 Likes

IDK, i didn’t think people were still so traditional and nuts about these things.

Consider yourself lucky.

A lot of Taiwanese girls these days insist on not living with with in laws.

And don’t give a F about the in laws and refuse to visit the in laws on any occasion. And the husband basically marries InTo her family.

That’s how they handle it.

And often having a child brings the in laws around.

Happened in my family. Nephew insisted on marrying a lady older than him who was a widow and had a child.

His parents wouldn’t put on a wedding and he basically cut off all ties. To this day.

Marriage is serious shit in Taiwan.

My ex gf gave me walking papers when her mom said to her…you marry tommy and you lose your apartment we bought for you.

Tommy was 13 years older and was divorced.

She said to me …sorry you are out.

Nice!

Don’t miss her.

Definitely not her family.

Ps I take it back bout my nephew , after 20 years he and his parents are making up and the thaw in the thick ice has started.
Took 20 years…well not really but almost.

3 Likes

I know that these people exist. I just don’t know any.

It’s the same with all the other crazy stories you guys mentioned. Almost nobody I know is like that and I consider my circle really ordinary. I went to public schools in Taiwan my whole life. The schools were exactly what you guys imagined (like all the long hours and stuff) and people were mostly just really normal.

because for you its considered just normal?

Marriage or not, parents in Taiwan can be intense. Even the pressure in your own family, if you don’t do as expected/desired.

I thought the right answer was secretly get whatever job you can in Taipei and escape, while your family in the south is too scared of the city to go and find you. :stuck_out_tongue: Claim that the traffic is too bad so you can’t visit them over New Year’s. Oh, and when you have a baby, don’t tell them so they won’t know to force you to return. :wink:

Unless you have the kind of family that stalks you and will drive up to Taipei to find you… then you might want to find your fortune abroad.

2 Likes

My dad push me hard as a kid. But I think that’s normal. Perhaps he pushed a bit too hard.

But later on he left me alone as an adult.

My parents and family are easy on my GF. She is from Italy. And they never ask her for anything or expect anything from her. Her parents are pretty easy on me but can be a bit judgmental on certain things.

2 Likes

Unless your in-laws are actually abusive, it’s messed up to hide the existence of their grandchild.

You guys think you have problems?! When I first met my in-laws, they tried to feed me a durian!

6 Likes

Is durian even that bad? I haven’t tried it, but I don’t get the complaints about the smell. To me, stinky tofu, both smell and taste, is a hundred times worse.

1 Like

I don’t personally like it. But it’s not that smelly to me. It smells but to me it’s not bad or good. I wouldn’t like it in my house all day or anything. But it’s not repulsive to me.

1 Like

Just until the kid is born. :wink: They’ll be so happy with the cute photos to show all their friends that they’ll forgive you for not telling them sooner… probably.

1 Like

They fed me kaoliang and funky tasting intestines. I almost barfed .

I can’t stand a lot of Taiwanese culture.

It sucks balls. Especially the entitled old fuckers.

I wouldn’t ‘marry into’ that family.
Even the concept of marrying into a family is loathsome.

They are greedy bastards. They have had their own marriage but then want to control their kids marriages too and even their grandkids.

All the Confucius fake bullshit.

3 Likes

Gross, can people stop pretending kaoliang is something special. It’s gross, one of the worst alcoholic drinks ever made imo. It taste like rubbing alcohol, there’s nothing unique about it.

And to mix that with unidentified intestines… :face_vomiting:

What assholes, they couldn’t let you try some of the more reasonable and imo delicious Taiwanese food?

4 Likes

To be fair they had a nice dinner cooked up but the intestines are a ‘specialty’ . Blurggghhh… Kaoliang was just the father doing macho stuff. All the guys do that there. Now wonder my wife married me.:sunglasses:

You ever had that Taiwan Wasp home brew. It costs about 5000 NTD per bottle, they do the macho dad thing with that nasty nasty concoction.

1 Like

When I asked my friend who is getting married pretty soon if he plans to have his wife move in with him and his family his response was “fuck no! We’re getting our own place”. I was very happy to hear that and realized that there is hope for Taiwan.

2 Likes

Speaking as an Italian, you have awesome parents.