Taiwanese Relationship Quirks

Are you perhaps referring to “Serendipity”?[/quote]

I think it was “Say Anything.” Not too stalkerish, although she had just dumped him…

Yep and I’m sure some of us have been here in Taiwan longer than you have carriewang :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

I searched for a thread about this and didn’t see one. I DID see a post referring to a thread about it but then never found the thread…perhaps I’m too stupid to use the search function correctly:) Anyway, why do Taiwanese people always tell me I “think too much”? this really really drives me crazy because they tell me that when I ask just about any question…is it wrong to question anything? and why do I keep hearing this same phrase in these same words? It’s creepy. Every Taiwanese person I know, including Taiwanese American friends of mine who haven’t even spent more than the occasional summer there, tells me this exact thing just about every time I ask a question. Why!!!:slight_smile: I was reminded of this when I msged a friend (Taiwanese) today and asked him why I hadn’t heard from him or his sister or brother or anybody for like 2 weeks. I was just asking innocently…just wondering if everything was ok or if they were forgetting about me and he said “Keri!!! you think too much! everything is OK!!” He acted like I was freaking out and he was calming this hysterical woman. I was completely calm…didn’t use any words that conveyed anything other than just casual curiosity…something along the lines of “Hey, I haven’t heard from you in awhile. how are you doing? how is everybody at home?” and he said that! Whyyyyy I was just asking a question why is that thinking too much? I’m just curious!

This begs for a response, but I’m just not sure what to say.

HydeDoll…I have found that the people who always act like I am freaking out tend to be intense drama queens.

ah so is it possible then that all of my Taiwanese friends are “drama queens”? Is this why they assume I’m thinking too much about something when I’m really just curious…because THEY are thinking too much? Should I just respond to them saying that by saying “NO, I think YOU think too much!!!” Then I can run away crying.hahaha I wonder how that would go over…hrm. My usual reaction of sitting there calmly perplexed just seems to agitate them more so maybe overreacting and giving them what they want would be better:)

If you tell them " No, you think too much" they will be insulted and think you are angry.

meh…it was a joke.:slight_smile: the “you think too much” thing just seems like a cop-out to me, though. It’s as if they don’t want to really answer you so they just use some dismissive statement like that to get out of…well…thinking too much.haha They don’t want to think of how to answer you so they just say that and all is supposed to be solved. Why!!!

Shit. You figured that out faster than anyone I have ever seen!!!
I very rarely have to hear that. The people I work with have much more respect than that. If I express a concern they tend to address it.
Then again, I often hear “only 15 year olds will buy this album” which might be the music industry version of “you think too much”…

You think too much… :wink:

[quote=“Hydedoll”]meh…it was a joke.:slight_smile: the “you think too much” thing just seems like a cop-out to me, though. It’s as if they don’t want to really answer you so they just use some dismissive statement like that to get out of…well…thinking too much.haha They don’t want to think of how to answer you so they just say that and all is supposed to be solved.
Why!!!
[/quote]

You just don’t understand Taiwanese culture… :wink:

Them: “You think too much”
Me: “I don’t think so”

The best example I remember was when I went to get my Taiwanese driving license. I turned up at a driving school to get some practise on the “driving” [sic] course, but the insisted that I had to book a full month of lessons. Why? ‘It’s a government regulation.’ Oh, so it’s not just becaused you want to shaft me for 20 hours instead of the two that I need? ‘Oh, it’s a government thing. You think too much.’ After we get that sorted they refuse to accept the white registration/health card I had done earlier because I was wearing a different coloured t-shirt to the one in the photo. Why is this a problem? ‘Government thing. Don’t think too much.’ Actually start the course and they insist I watch a video explaining how to change gears. I already know how to drive, thanks. ‘You have to watch the video. Government regulation. Don’t think too much’. Okay, so can I take the test here? ‘You have to wait a month.’ Why? ‘Government regulation.’ But it says on the DMV website that I don’t have to wait the 30/90 days because I already have a foreign license. ‘Yes you do. Don’t argue. Don’t think too much.’ So I went to take my test at the DMV place in Da Du and got my license (along with a few more xiang tai duos thrown in because I asked too many questions about how it was going to work). Took it over to the driving school because I’m an arrogant bastard and wanted to prove a point… ‘… you should have just waited and take the test here!’ Why? ‘… you think too much.’

Yep and this is an annoying habit that Taiwanese people bring with them even after living in a foreign country for 10 years… My Taiwanese friends here in Australia say it WAY too often… And it seems to be their version of ‘She’ll be right, mate!’

Yes, interconnecting on some line somewhere, “you think too much” meets chabuduoism (差不多主義).

HG