Taiwanese soap aversions

Seems like taiwanese men rarely wash their hands with soap. Nearly everyone in Taipei at least washes with water but almost no one uses the soap. It’s pretty gross and makes me worried about restaurant staff.

One time I went to a restaurant with my wife and get family. The soap dispenser was empty. I asked my wife to help me ask the staff to please refill soap and they told us they don’t have soap! I couldn’t believe it. Luckily I mostly eat at home but what the hell is up with these habits?

In other cases people here seem so afraid of germs but yet still do this things that will make them sick. It just makes no sense

4 Likes

Many guys in washrooms here just flick their fingers under the tap water, done in under 2 seconds!

3 Likes

2 Likes

Oh, they probably have lots of alcohol disinfection spray (which, however, won’t be effective against some viruses such as the norovirus)…

2 Likes

Fixed it for you

As far as restaurant staff are concerned…if it doesnt kill you, it will certainly feel like you are dying.

1 Like

To their defence, it is difficult to wash one’s hands while holding a phone and/or playing video games the whole time.

When I see what men do in washrooms here, I marvel that any of us are actually still alive.

Guy

2 Likes

Don’t really see this phenomenon here in Hsinchu. Maybe Sky Dragon people are just disgusting.

Kaoshiung, most of the washrooms I use don’t have soap in the dispenser, and most of the time if people turn on the tap at all the water doesn’t run long enough to even wet their hands…

I feel that some people have a similar thought process as with mask wearing. Masks protect them from getting sick. Similarly, they won’t get sick from their own faeces. Therefore, there’s no need to wash their hands.

A bizarre selfish logic is at play.

3 Likes

This reminds me of the time I was sitting on a bench chatting to friend in a large park. Nearby was a public bathroom and I happened to notice a local yokel wandering in to take care of some business. He emerged about 10 minutes later, casually started walking away, and then stopped. He raised his hand to his nose, smelled it, and made a funny face. He then turned around and walked back into the bathroom to, I assume, wash his hand(s) :grin:

5 Likes

My wife insists that in the woman’s bathroom, they use the soap. So I can only really comment on the men since that’s what I can observe

Eating your own is fine. It’s the one from other people that you should avoid.

According to the Illinois Poison Center, eating poop is “minimally toxic.”

My wife always complains that they dont.

2 Likes

Interesting are you in Taipei or another part?

1 Like

Taipei/NTP

1 Like

Ah the sun is super strong there. I’m sure it’ll help to take care of any remaining problems.

Guy

This baddies thrives on unwashed hands Entamoeba histolytica - Wikipedia

Yes, sure. You can get infected by feces of other people.
My point was that your own feces are not a problem.

Mind that there are hygienic implications of that: always wash hands before eating not just after use of toilet.
This is because you can get the microbes on your hands from touching objects other people touched: door handles, railings, furniture, toys etc

This seems to be common for Asia tbh. Hell I was shocked recently to see thay soap is far more common in public bathrooms in Taiwan than in Japan.

I’m sorry to tell you that a lot of women don’t even wash their hands. :nauseated_face: Also, a lot of bathrooms don’t have soap at all. In winter, their excuse is that they avoid it so that their hands don’t get cold. During the rest of the year…I guess they avoid it so that their hands don’t get too dry?

1 Like