Taiwanese student in USA accused of plotting school massacre

Can they refuse search under terrorist charges?

There probably werenā€™t any charges at that point. Just a routine search to follow up on a tip.

Maybe she didnā€™t feel bad about having a gun around the placeā€“not really uncommon. It implies she really trusted the kid though.

Gave it to someone to keep. Wow. Iā€™d have gave it to the middle of the Schuykill River if I was going to give it anywhere. On the other hand, itā€™s apparently not illegal and it wasnā€™t used in a crime. She hasnā€™t been charged either. I wonder what would come of that too.

Once I found out the privileged child had a gunā€¦ he screwed. His parents sent him away. Must have been a problem.

1 Like

I canā€™t help but wonder whether she and Mr. Sun formed an attorney-client relationship.

Disclaimer: I donā€™t know enough about whatā€™s going on to form any opinions that I can be confident in. Not everything has been disclosed, and I havenā€™t read much about this matter, so I could even be missing some important knowledge thatā€™s already available. Additionally, even if I were to guess right as to the facts, Iā€™m not an expert on this particular kind of legal situation (that is, a situation involving temporarily missing evidence which appears to have been in the possession of a lawyer), and courts in the U. S. might vary in how they deal with it.

Anyway, this is an excerpt from a Comment on Rule 3.4 of the ABA Model Rules of Professional Conduct:

ā€œ3.4 Fairness to Opposing Party and Counselā€“Commentā€

I stumbled on that excerpt here:

Once again, Iā€™m merely speculating, and my speculation could be 'way off base factually.

K bye. I have no sympathy for rich spoiled brats like this. Rot in jail svp.

1 Like

The news on this matter are obsessed with how much the lawyer costs. I think they got an ex prosecutor, 30 years experience, whose main argument is that the defendant just made 18 and is still a child.

The other thing they are really hammering, and for this we need someone in the US to confirm, is that the host family US selected by the government. The news are painting a picture of them as a needy family who apparently needs government assistance or something like that.

There are two kinds of Philadelphia, Eden and hell. Western suburbs through King of Prussia and Malvern are fine, even beautiful. Inner city is truly hell, although there is the usual loft and condo development shot through downtown. Hell = shithole. No ifs, ands, or buts.

Millions of East coast homes built right after WWII were built using asbestos insulation and lead paint (and lead caulking, too). Many, if not most, homeowners (of these older homes) have since learned to limit remodeling in order not to disturb either the asbestos or the lead. Getting rid of either can be hard on your checkbook (if you do it legally) or your health if you do it yourself (and then youā€™re left with nowhere to take the asbestos you remove).

Remember the house in Silver Linings Playbook? Exactly what Iā€™m talking about. These houses look old and very tired.

I know there are places less than ideal. I know in the US you have color lines and first world places divided by walls from third world places. But that word is now embedded in political connotations. And given that the conditions of the neighborhood have not been so stated in such a bad condition - people interviewed so far seemed shocked about such an event happening there - I do not think it is responsible reporting to slap that label on hearsay. And seriously, that label should not be used at all.

Full disclosure: worked in Philly for a while, taking foreign students on language study tours. Considered studying in Temple. Rented a place close to Ricky and also stayed with a fellow professor somewhere in the South area. Stayed with a host family in Maryland.

Frankly I donā€™t do social media, and I have used shithole for more than 50 years. I donā€™t intend to stop now. If itā€™s not PC, Iā€™ll live with it. Shithole is a fantastic word.

For a restaurant or hotel somewhere you are charged money, yep, wonā€™t deny your right to use the word. But given the current context, as to places and peoples, a little caution is called for. And again, Taiwanese media are hitting a real low here.

Looks like he was doing the same threatening behavior in Taiwan. Parents didnā€™t bother to do anything about it.

jail please.

Would you fucking stop with the ā€œanother borderline autistic guyā€ shit already?

3 Likes

Seems to me the kid is bent

The only one that doesnā€™t work evenly is 30, if the 1600 figure is accurate. In any case, he may have fired some already.

Itā€™s pillow biting time for the little emperor.

It came out wrong, sorry, but Elon Musk is definitely on the spectrum and sure likes flamethrowers as well as big fucking rockets.
Maybe this kid is just ignorant or really into flamethrowers and socially inept.
But I am a big fan of Elon Musk

Elon Muskā€™s company executives are fleeing the company in droves over the last year.

Just 2 weeks ago:

While Elon Musk is more concerned with what music will be played inside the night clubs of his Martian colony, Teslaā€™s top executives continue to flee his all too terrestrial company, and in just the last few days the electric automaker- which continues to burn unprecedented amounts of cash - lost its two top financial executives.

According to Bloomberg, Teslaā€™s corporate treasurer and vice

president of finance, Susan Repo, quit to become the CFO of another company, just days after Chief Accounting Officer Eric Branderiz parted ways for personal reasons last week, the company disclosed.

But back to the topic of this Taiwan overseas student.
Heā€™s in a lot of trouble for sure, and because heā€™s 18, heā€™s considered an adult. No easy way out of this pickle. Too many federal agencies involved in this now.

From this Taiwan News article, below are the subtotals.

Since making my original post, I have seen on television that the AK cartridges were Tula. In my experience, Tula cartridges for civilian sale come in odd lots sizes of 40, 200, and 1,000 (Tula cartridges are made in Tula, Russia).

According to police, the bullets found to have been acquired by Sun included 225 rounds of 12-gauge shotgun ammo, 663 rounds of 9 mm ammo, 295 round of AR-15 ammo, and 425 rounds of AK-47 ammo, as well as other types of ammunition.