Taiwanese student in USA accused of plotting school massacre

No. Can you please read the information me and others wrote to you instead of keep saying incorrect things.

His parents pretty much got away from what I suspected is knowing they aren’t living there and it would cost time and money to peruse this. They just wanted him gone.

Only stupid ones. The reason they are eyeing you is that if the buyer turns out to be a wack-o and shoots up a school then you - the gun dealer - are certain to be named as a defendant in a very large civil suit. You may also be subject to criminal charges if it can be shown that you knowingly sold a firearm to a person who behaved bizarrely at the time of the background check.

2 Likes

So you are saying the parents lied and said they lived there? They gave a resident address or social security number?

How were the guns and ammo purchased anyways?

That si teh thing. When the buyer lies, they have no way of knowing/testing. The system is not failsafe, obviously.

If teh purchase is done on the internet, how can they know the state of mind of the buyer?

The latest stats that I can find are from 2017 when texas had 3,513 deaths from firearms - Stats of the States - Firearm Mortality
In 2018, a record breaking year in terms of homicides in London, there were just 132 - London killings: All the victims of 2018 - BBC News

It’s not even close mate.

I’ll refer you to the link I posted above again -Stats of the States - Firearm Mortality
California has a firearms death rate of 7.9, Texas’ is 12.4. That’s a pretty significant difference. I think we’d all appreciate it if you could tone down the bullshit.

They can’t. They rely on the FFL holder to make that determination at the time the buyer takes possession of the firearm.

I said stabbings.

That’s gun deaths. I said gun homocide rate.

Can you read? I encourage you to if you’re going to say I’m bull shitting

A bit like comparing apples to oranges, though. Comparing non-fatal stabbings to murder with guns is a pretty low bar.

Wai is basically right about the Texas/Cali comparison too, by the way; though linked the wrong statistics. The 2017 statistics, if you calculate it, Texas’ gun homicide rate is higher than California’s. Not that I disagree that there are other variables at play, I just don’t think it’s a statistic that should be bandied around like it means anything.

Cali is around 3.7 per 100,000
Texas is around 3.3 per 100,000

Around the same with Texas with about double the gun ownership and around the same population of 28million.

Last time it came up you were looking at 2015 statistics. And California has probably 10 million more people than Texas.

Adjust it with the gun ownership being double and seeing how strict one state is and can’t even own long guns. It’s a pretty startling to see it’s not that big of a difference.

Sure, that could probably come into play. I was only pointing out the flaw in that specific argument.

I’m just saying there’s a lot more to play than strict gun laws and less guns equal less gun homicides.

And I hate keep having to illiterate gun laws differ state from state from the blanket statement of its easy to get guns in the US.

Also lack of understanding and throwing around “machine guns” when they’re semi automatic.

In a imperfect world with bad guys. I would like the ability to protect myself legally and with some what equal force.

Dude, you just outed yourself.

:violin:

Sure sure, play that card. All theories until you have people try to break into your house in the middle of the night with your loved ones.

This conversation is all moot anyways. Soon anyone will be able to print a gun from their home, good guys and especially the bad guys. The only question is do you want the legal right to protect yourself.

The only questions we have left is how much power and intrusion do we want to give to the state into our lives at this point, how to solve the deeper societal issues of crime and violence, and how much legal right do we give people to protect themselves. The strict gun control people are like the people trying to save a sinking boat with a huge hole. It’s fear based and not up forward thinking. Mostly people scoring political points. Soon every single person will be able to get access to a gun printed in their homes.

1 Like

Andrew, we have had a break in with us inside. It was numbers that drove them away. Not guns.

Take it from someone for whom all these rethorical questions are a reality. We had a gun at home. One. My stepfather was in law enforcement and the gun was a work tool, respected. The gun was to be shot and shoot to kill. Not scare. Kill. That is the way down there.

Guns are not toys. They are not to be collected like trading cards. Ammo is not to be piled up like a friggin wood for the winter. I cannot justify a teenager buying arms like trading cards and ammo like nuts for winter vacation. Guns have a purpose and a kid that is not using them responsibly or has respect for them has no right to use them.

Going back to the case at hand, if the kid wants to build his own gun out of discarded straws and chopsticks, fine. But to let him have and use large rifles not meant for hunting, is a no no. It is fantasy to say that he is using them to defend his home or hunt elk. He is using them as penile extentions and confidence boosters. Pulling the trigger is the last step. And he has voiced his desire to fame.

Again, teh firpower of a single DIY gun is not the same as a semi automatic.

3 Likes

So they ignored your gun, then?

Unusual home invaders if so, I have to say.

When the neighbors arrived, yeah.

We held the door while they pushed on teh other side to open, neighbors got there before gun was used.

I, too, am a survivor of a home invasion. A gun is why I can write this today.

1 Like