TaiwanPlus, The Jenny Show, please explain

I don’t want to be disrespectful about a show that may be created by a member of our community. Maybe I have just become old so I understand shows like the Rugrats and others. Please know that this is my opinion only so I do not want to offend anybody.
Have you watched the Jenny show? I’m not sure but I think the girl appears to be an ultra stereotypical American girl she doesn’t seem to be interested at first in her environment. Also the way the family members are drawn. They’re so different from each other like ultra multiracial in one family.
I’ve been here for more than 25 years my children are teenagers and young adults who are mixed and I just discovered the show a few minutes ago so I really cannot say much. Please give me your take and ideas of this show.
I will watch a few more episodes I guess. But it’s not my animation style I have more Nickelodeon and anime via rumiko Takahashi or Miyazaki.

Are you sure you’re the target audience? No idea who Taiwan Plus had in mind when they created this, but it seems aimed at young adults or students or something. And there only look to be like 35 minutes of episodes total.

I just flicked through several of the episodes, but I found it kind of cringey/silly. It wasn’t engaging enough to make me want to watch any more, anyway.

3 Likes

Yeah … Target audience…
That’s something difficult to understand.
I mean I grew up in a late sixties/70’s and kept watching cartoons until the '80s through high School and beyond.
I also had my second childhood watching all the cartoons with my children and students. Even the Nickelodeon cartoons respected adults…
I have also showed and taught the humor and the hidden meanings of classic Looney tunes and Nickelodeon shows to my kids and students.(that has the object you want to find actually named McGuffin (penguins of Madagascar) So I’d like to feel like I can connect to most era’s cartoons.
Money was spent and the group of people spent hours to write an animate it.
I will show this to my young adult and teenage children. But I honestly don’t think they will like it . They’re into one piece and other shows today which I can get into.
The question is who’s this for.? And I really want to speak to those who appreciate it.
And I really am looking for stuff to talk about the hidden wonders of Taiwan and even it’s darker sides. My friends back home really don’t get or never got the experiences we have that are definitely unique and not part of the world…
That is if you were here in the late '80s '90s and so forth. They did not believe what I was talking about until he saw for themselves.
My feeling is that it’s a great concept but not very well done about the Jenny cartoon. But that’s only my opinion someone must like it

I can see some people liking it, so it’s not all that bad.
I’m not the TA though, for sure.

Apparently I’m not either which is very strange…
As I apparently I’m the target audience for pre-1930s cartoons all the way up to the later Nickelodeon era of wild Thornberries and Rug Rats.
What is their target audience? I only saw a few minutes this morning.
I’ll catch some more and share it with some people later. But it’s cringy but it could have been so good in my opinion.
Kenny runs around Taiwan breaking things first and not looking around her environment instead she’s telling everybody about snowboarding back home in Colorado.
Admittedly I came here way before workers had certain civil rights and I usually got screwed by my bosses and I complained about it non-stop to my friends and family so I could understand some of her position…
Now people are telling me how I was but that’s another story. I retract some of my earlier opinions.

Following this thread :smile:

3 Likes

I think you’re mixing style with audience.
The cartoon style is from those days, right, but I guess the TA is young adults, not us…

I’ve only seen the first episode, but her family doesn’t look that mixed. One of them is her BFF or so she claims.

It is pretty normal for animators to draw family members looking drastically different though.

Who is the target audience for Taiwan Plus?

Given the viewer numbers on YouTube, appears there isn’t one.

1 Like

Taiwan Plus is shit, would be the explanation. Thats a bit unfair, some of the content is ok, they are just unprofessional and dont have a good idea of who their audience is and what they want

4 Likes

Ha ha ha…
I really want to share this cartoon with you but I could chased off this platform for by ultra-sensitive people…
Just look up evil Mickey mouse attacks Japan… I believe Daffy duck is one of the good guys, in their eyes. It’s a world war II Japanese propaganda film

1 Like

This is what we were portioned as entertainment as children. It is sad that one might face the possibility of being censored for shaking up the past.

It should be understood that these cartoons were humorous, but also indoctrination tools. Very common.

Have an excellent evening! :beers:

I would believe that. Maybe I don’t understand today’s young adult material but, like I said,
I enjoyed my generations ya and I was enjoying my girls and my children’s why I even material as well.
There seems to be a big shift in Target audiences my youngest child, a son in Jr hs stopped watching American animation after the end of adventure Time regular show and gravity falls. He’s now totally into Japanese animation like one piece and he says that all American shows are garbage.

I will try to watch a few more of the Jenny show but I just don’t like the way she talks about things like Chinese hot pot saying it’s just boiling meat in water until Grandma put it right but I don’t know it’s just weird.
The broth has a distinctive flavor I don’t think anybody even if you don’t like hot pot would come up with some of her lines.
I will show it to the rest of the family later on to see what s up.
I really want to talk or read what the target audience is talking about if they’re saying anything.

1 Like

TaiwanPlus’s target audience is the government officials who are paying them to make this propaganda material.

Whether any real viewers actually watch their content is largely irrelevant, as it’ll continue to be funded regardless.

Also worth noting: the TaiwanPlus Facebook is completely overun with wumaos who rant about how Taiwan is part of China under literally every story.

3 Likes

If that’s true, it is so sad. There’s a lot of great material that I just cannot seem to get English subtitles for and would love to watch and share with people back in the US.

1 Like

Taiwan Plus had potential. Its a government project so is linked politically to the current administration. They are adverse to say anything negative about Taiwan so it feels a bit like English government programming in China.

You are 100% right, they probably arent that concerned about it meeting its goals.

Honestly the best version of these kind of soft-power government media projects is Al-Jazeera in Qatar. They have shown how if you put out good quality high-brow content and news that people care about, you can lightly push the narrative in your desired direction Taiwan Plus is just ham-fisted cringe semi-propaganda

3 Likes

Her voice sounds really familiar. Is it one of the ICRT DJs?

Yes, it’s Erika Liu.

https://www.icrt.com.tw/onair_djs_details.php?&mlevel1=12&mlevel2=27&dj_id=76

She also presents the TaiwanPlus news.

2 Likes

TaiwanPlus is just a soft power arm for the current administration, not unlike CGTN. No wonder they had the same design firm for their logos.

1 Like

Well, I would…
:joy: