Taiwan's "Florida Man" - does it exist?

So we know alot of places in the world have a wackjob capital. So America its Florida, Japan its Saitama, Singapore its Yishun, Australia its Queensland/West Sydney? Does Taiwan have a version of this?

Id imaging Wanhua, Sanchong would likely be it since they are “the hood”, but maybe not.

Whats then craziest " florida type stuff" youve seen here anywhere, me it was triad guys fighting with bats in Taoyuan alley at 2am, was hilarious to watch i was looking around for cameras incase it was a Youtube prank show or something lol.

2 Likes

I think it would be good if you could clarify a bit more what “Florida” means in this context.

How can a state be referred to as a capital, anyway? How can you compare a state like Florida with a small district like Wanhua?

Are you talking about crime? Gangs? And why is this under “Travel”?

1 Like

I’ve always compared all of Taiwan to Florida. :man_shrugging:t2:

Northern Taiwan is similar to the subtropical northern Florida and the Panhandle in terms of weather and climate, and southern Taiwan is similar to the tropical southern Florida/Miami.

But if you’re asking if there is a Taiwan equivalent to the “Florida Man”, I’d say no.

If I had to pick a “weird” city in Taiwan where there are higher instances of crime and unruly or antisocial behavior, I’d say Taipei.

1 Like

Pingtung is generally considered the Florida of Taiwan.

3 Likes

Travel as i guess for tourism, sry if wrong thread you can remove thianif you want, what i mean is like Florida man, like florida man does …

So the “crazy person” capital of Taiwan.

Taoyuan

1 Like

If tourism, are there any places in Taiwan foreigners should not go, like rough, gang territory type of places? Can’t really think of any. In Taipei, I always found Sanchong and Luzhou suspect, but I think it’s not whole neighborhoods, more like certain businesses and their surroundings during the late hours. Brothels disguised as tea houses, KTVs, etc.

Crazy people show up out of nowhere once in a while and then do stuff like slicing up people with a machete on the MRT, but are there notorious neighborhoods where these people live? Don’t think so.

Let’s try “[Place Name] Man Arrested for […]”

There you go, we have the first candidate:

1 Like

Moved it to “Living in Taiwan”. Better fit.

1 Like

I think the word “Florida man” comes from American newspapers’ practice, when reporting on criminal or other out-of-the-ordinary behavior, of putting the name of the state of residence of the person in question followed by the word man, or I guess in some cases, woman.

It seems that the phrase “Florida man” appeared in the papers with enough frequency for it to attain some kind of weird journalistic apotheosis, by which Florida Man became a kind of mythic being.

It could be that, or something like it. Crime and gangs, though, are pretty much everyday stuff. Florida Man often has his own particular–oh, I don’t know. . . .

1 Like
2 Likes

One for Kao City

2 Likes

Yes, that’s it right there. That one fits the bill. Of course, there are many variations.

The whole island has some “Florida man” potential, but in some parts it can stand out. Off the top of my head, I’d say rural Nantou and the Han areas of Pingtung may contend for this crown.

Guy

2 Likes

Funny ive heard pingtung gas some strange stuff, maybe we have a winner lol.

Keelung!

Changhua man… looks like we have a new guy in town. Id expect this from Saitama man tbh…

1 Like

:rofl:

When I lived in Japan, it was always the Ibaraki guys that got this sort of love.

Guy

Agree. Although Zhongli in Taoyuan would probably get some votes.

1 Like

I would look at these choices and disentangle them as follows:

Zhongli foreign man

Pingtung local man

Now ducks for cover!

Guy