Take action against Taiwan bank tax residency tax certificates

I finally got an e-mail response from CTBC today, after them telling me 7 weeks ago I should expect an e-mail from a supervisor “in a few days”.

The English translation is fairly shoddy, but the Chinese version seems to suggest the response was motivated by my complaint to the FSC in addition to my separate complaint to CTBC customer service.

The response is below. The image quality is a bit shit – apparently CTBC believes that the best way to send something like this in 2023 is to print it out, scan it back in at low resolution, and combine the images into a password-protected PDF.

So the point again appears to be that CTBC is just following guidance from the tax office and considering us not to be domiciled here until we’ve stayed more than 183 days in a given year, and there’s nothing they can do about that.

I suppose then it hinges on the outcome of @Mataiou’s complaint to the Control Yuan. As far as I know, he’s the only one to have complained to them, right? Should we send in additional complaints, or just wait for the response to his – what do people think?

6 Likes