Talking to Local Dogs and Cats

I have lately noticed myself unconsciously talking Chinese to local dogs and cats. Not like deep conversations because my Chinese is not that good.

你好你好你好
來來來
你在做什麼?
沒有 (No food to offer)

I haven’t figured out if they understand my Chinese or not. And none of them seem surprised that I speak some Chinese.

I’m a bit anxious to know their impressions.

So what are the top correct translations of talking to dogs like come, sit, stay, shake, get away!, no humping…

8 Likes

More often than not when a Taiwanese pet owner sees me they start talking to their pet in English.

13 Likes

Sorry for a serious reply:

Surprisingly (?) Most dogs here react as expected even to German commands. No, not only shepherds. I guess it’s the sound and gestures, not do much the words.

2 Likes

German commands sound more commanding somehow

7 Likes

Nein!

2 Likes

The funny thing is that local dogs give me that same odd look that local people give me. They look at me like they are not sure what to expect but there is something different about this one.

1 Like

come來
sit坐下
stay別動
shake握手
get away!走開!
no humping…不准那個那個

7 Likes

I talk to my cat in Catonese

5 Likes

Cats understand tone, dogs are better with words. Dogs have the intelligence of a him an 3 year old.

Achtung! Halt!

Perhaps your tones are off?

5 Likes

I think almost every man, woman, child, and dog in Taiwan understands a stern “No” in English. Maybe cats do too but they don’t care.

3 Likes

3 Likes

Dogs understand snacks.

2 Likes

Cats understand meow.

Vary your tone with the meow to convey a point across.

3 Likes

I was taking to this guy and he kept looking at me trying to figure out what Im saying. Pretty cute.

What kind of breed dog is this ? It looks like a kind of ancient Asian dog?

That right there is what we call a “mutt.”

Probably a bit of Formosan dog based on his shape, a bit of Shiba based on coloration?

Also, it looks like he’s…very, very excited to see you. :nauseated_face:

4 Likes

Haha I knew there would be a smart Alec.:grin:

Platz!

1 Like

Chain dog!

1 Like