Tammy and tommy and kucing gendut's mini escapades

Ollie went on his first trip
We did an overnighter at Lighthouse Lodge In Pacific Grove
109 plus tax and 50 bucks per stay for a pet

Hotel was Ok but I won’t go back because right outside the room 30 steps away is the local graveyard The graveyard literally started right outside our door.

Not the view I want from the room usually

Ollie was very quiet riding the car for two hours as long as he is in his carrier

He was very out of his element though and stayed on the bed the whole time and even slept under the cover

So scared he never used his catBox or drank any water or ate any food

So he got an F and we may not being him
with us in future

Not sure if it’s because he is still a kitten
But whopper loved going to hotels and visiting the sights and was never scared at all

Here he is happy to be back home

2 Likes

Big on the outside but still kitten inside
Ollie is super scared to be in a strange room
Spent the night cuddled with mommie

Back home again with siblings Bunny the striped sister and Goldie the all black brother with the golden eyes like his and his sisters.

Those two were not ready to go on trips being indoor outdoor cats

Neighbor has our key and she came to let them in to eat a few times in the evening and when done they simply jump off the balcony

Lucky Ollie is now too big to fit through the bars as he used to jump off too

1 Like

Haven’t been to Reno in years so we decided to do a Bust out of Town overnighter there.

Reno you can dine in. The restaurants that cater to that half their capacity and raise their prices slightly so reservations are needed

Found a new hotel that just opened a few months ago

Worth the 118 including tax and they have a cute pool good for fake swimming. Reservations required…your room key does not work like usual.

Out in the hot sun and wow it’s been 105 these days ! Next to a well manicured large patch of grass where dog owners can exercise their dogs. Lots of seating available around this activity square.

No pet fee so we could have brought our cat Ollie with us but we opted not to due to his seemingly inability to enjoy his last outing.

Plus it’s a 4 hour drive each way

Room was nice simple but nicely equipped.

Mini store downstairs sells drinks and snacks and some sammys you can take to your room
Bar sells real drinks you can take to your room

Masks required everywhere except at the pool which is restricted to a handful of people

I recommend this hotel if you go to Reno
Aloft hotels by Marriott

While in Reno recommend La Cucina Italian Kitchen
Very moderate pricing and good food and setting

And take in a Sit out in the patio visit to Homage a petite French cafe

Back home tonight we are making a second attempt at Teleferic to have a sangria

You can dine in but need to wear a mask away from your table

And you can’t just order drinks
Must have food as well

Well that doubles the bill as their food is as pricey as their drinks

Hope our paella for two at 42 is worth it

Sangria is 11 and 12

It was good but not something we can do every week

2 Likes

Local artist takes a pic of your cat you orovide

and makes a mini kitty you can take with you

1 Like

Well new emergency directives from the authorities mean that we should not travel out of the bay area. That means not even to sacramento and points north to the lake tahoe region/ reno. OR south beyond Santa Cruz , like to MOnterey/CArmel.

I’m not sure this directive is being followed or how the authorities will implement any controls. My friend who lives in Pollock Pines half way up highway 50 to tahoe says droves of people still visiting Tahoe. In defiance of the order.

San Francisco city has gone so far as to say anyone who has travelled outside of the bay area can NOT enter San Francisco without quarantining at home for ten days.

Not sure how they plan to enforce that though.
The rest of us in the bay area are not supposed to leave the bay area without self quarantine at home for ten days when we return.
So I guess a lot of people are not planning to travel . Except for those with ski passes who are still apparently heading up to the slopes !

So i guess we are waiting around for the majority to get the vaccine and the hospital ICU beds to become available again before restrictions are loosened.

Most everything (stores) are still open i guess because nobody wants to shut them down during December , the big sales month. But January we may see another draconian “everyone is fired - go home” ruling.

Thats what people are saying. Except for restaurants and essential stores like groceries and the such. We may have to stay home, if this pandemic worsens and hospital ICU beds become even more scarce.
In the bay area, indoor and outdoor dining is prohibited. We can only order take out.

And now we can’t go to reno/lake tahoe or monterey/carmel areas either. OUr two major outlets away from the bay area. We don’t usually venture further north or south.

Tammy has a SQ ticket she bought just before the pandemic hit and SQ won’t refund the ticket, instead gave her a year to use it. So shes going to fly home later this month to visit her family. She will have to quarantine at a hotel for two weeks. And then plans to spend 2 maybe 3 weeks with family/friends as the case may be, depending on how the crisis is over there.

At least she finally has enough points to secure premium economy for the two ultra long sectors from LA nonstop to Singapore and Singapore back to LAX.
Strangely she can not take the SFO to Singapore flights because the only flight that allows transfers is the LAX to Singapore flight (so she can transfer to another SQ flight to Jakarta) almost immediately. But apparently SQ wont allow transfers on the SFO to SIN flight. Strange.
Means she had to shell out for two flights on Southwest on their sardine specials OAK to and from LAX to catch that non stop 16 hour flight each way to/from Singapore.

Heck of a long travel. So at least premium economy on the ultra long sectors will be welcomed on the A350.

The pandemic is hurting and killing many around the world. And our lives here are very much impacted too.

So many of the restaurants we go to we cant go and can only order food to go. Meaning spending the same kind of money without the restaurant ambiance and service.

Just joined a really nice new gym at a new development in Concord which has many great restaurants and a super awesome movie theatre complex which now is shut. The restuarants there offering only take out. There was for a few months outdoor dining allowed but thats gone now too.

The gym we paid hundreds to join we only used for a few months before the pandemic hit and i miss swimming in the indoor heated pool. Which was the only thing i used the gym for. Tammy does the zumba classes and uses the treadmills and the stairclimb machines, she never uses the pool.should say DID.

WEll thats all gone and the gym may even close permanently we don’t know. So much for the 300 bucks spent to join (including first and last month).

And really miss that awesome movie theatre complex. along with the other two cinemas we like to go to in walnut creek and pleasant hill.
Havent seen a movie since march when the GO HOME AND STAY HOME order came out.

2 Likes

Should’ve gotten out of California while the getting was good. :sunglasses:

1 Like

Nothing good out in theaters anyways…

1 Like

Sounds like real first world woes there T-Bone.

Suck it up and have a nice xmas at home. :santa:

2 Likes

Thanks JD and wishing you and loved ones a wonderful Christmas as well

We are grateful as well for what we have and being healthy

We have officially postponed our Christmas dinner as we don’t want to meet with people we haven’t sat in the same close space with in the last year and they don’t want to meet with us for same reason

Maybe it’s better and everyone can remember
that Christmas was to celebrate the birth of Jesus Christ Son of God and not
About presents and phat dinners

One thing though is missing is that Christmas is also about getting together with family
And friends and that part will be missed
This year

The Taiwan equivalent to the Bay Area travel restrictions will be like being confined to Taipei and New Taipei only

Still a pretty large area to be confined to.

Except you are only allowed to travel within the zone if you are a essential worker

Hotels are not allowed to accept guests who are not
And we have a 10pm curfew which in some areas is enforced with a ticket

All the best dude. Go to the Haight. Get a tshirt, a bottle of red wine and chill with the missus.

Anyone ready for another post? If so stand by

1 Like

Does the Pope shit in the woods?

3 Likes

these are escapades while driving a mini? how many clowns can you fit into yours?

1 Like

Uhm … no?

Wrong!

1 Like

Metaphorically quite a few…if you include all those that read this post :love_you_gesture:

1 Like

7 Likes

Well alll right …by hugely (un)popular demand here goes.

TAmmy hatched a plan starting last month whereby we will do a overnighter once a month just to get out of dodge.

Luckily i work (or unluckily depends on how one sees it) so I don’t feel cramped by the new covid lifestyle of lockdown , not being able to go see movies, not eating in restaurants, no gyms, etc. Life that we are seeing here in the “real” world (Taiwan not being part of the “real” world in this instance). Since about March 2020.

It does feel hemmed in. Tammy feels hemmed in because she hasn’t seen the inside of a classroom since about that time. She is on zoom but its not the same. And only a handful of friends does she actually meet in real life because of covid fears. And besides where is one supposed to meet anyways since everything is closed for the most part.

Well things have loosened up a bit california wise and and some counties are able to have sit in meals again , up to 25pct capacity. There is talk that some gyms have opened (ours have started charging me again but is not actually open). Even some movie houses are thinking of opening.

So i think things may be moving in the right direction again, hopefully anyways.

Now back to her plan. So things are more relaxed in nevada, in that they have had restaurants sitting up to 50pct while we have had ours only for take away. So last month we went (because we have three cats now and i work so only a quick over niter) to Reno and stayed once again at the Aloft by the airport. Our second time. Its a nice new clean simple business hotel part of a major chain. Rooms are nicely equipped and there is no pet fee. So we took Ollie (one of our three cats) but it was not a success. He didnt once use his liter box or ate anything and decided at 430am that since he was up the entire hotel may as well be…very bad… Had to take him outside for near an hour. So he’s not part of the excursions now.

Anyhow Aloft Reno, recommended , at about 120 a night or so, changes daily.

And highly recommended Italian restaurant , good decor, excellent food and fair pricing at about 20 for an entree … LA CUCINA … 3600 lakeside drive, reno

Ok that was last month, mostly forgotten now.
Back to this month…

Just came back from Tammys first overnighter in Lake Tahoe, previously we never stayed there because she insisted on taking Gendut (who sadly is no longer with us) and there was not one establishment in lake tahoe that takes cats, some take dogs but no cats.

So we stayed at a quite nice hotel for bout 105. The Azure, right downtown South Lake Tahoe , minutes from the Heavenly Gondola and where all the activity is concentrated.

Didn’t know where to eat, so of course Tammy’s google-fu soon came up with a top ten and apparently numba one on the list is the Edgewood Resorts top restaurant appropriately named The Edgewood… wallet fleecing for sure. I agreed because I saw online a menu showing entrees around 35 dollars but seems it was a dated website…One should have looked at the hotels actual website which shows entrees at 45 to 65 dollars (OUCH).

Well i decided since i had a big lunch (plus i lost most of my appetite facing those daunting entree prices) I would forgo the entree and just order a soup (15 dollars for a lobster bisque with a ball of corn in the middle) and an appe-teaser for 23 dolares of EXACTLY TWO scallops in some sauce…it was so fresh there still was some sand in them. And like true haute cuisine…the plates were HUGE as was the bill while the actual food was tiny.
Her highness had a caesars salad for the pauper price of 12 buckerones and a MONKfish (never had one before ) on some sort of italian risotto for 48 pesos americano. Polished of with a cafe-cino for myself and a Rishi premium Camomile tea for the lady figure.

The view was fantastic, viewing out on to the lake and the service was impeccable. With careful attention to not overspending managed to get out of there with only 160 pesos americanos lighter…whew.

The hotel has a rather famous golf course attached and the grounds are not open to the public, one had to be either playing golf with a reservation, staying at the resort or had a restaurant. And the guard at the gate actually checks for your reservation before letting you in. Perhaps some rich and famous like staying there? But i didnt see any luxury cars there? So our prius C was not at all out of place. We self parked in the Valet Parking area and were promptly kicked out…Had to park back towards the gate and had a two min walk back to the restaurant. thats ok, builds up an appetite.

I neglected to wear something suitable as i only had on a pair of jeans and jogging shoes and a heavy jacket (s. lake tahoe is cold and snow is expected tonight in fact). But seems others were similarly in a state of casual dress.

The experience was great so we went back there for bfast to day to enjoy the grounds. Right on a beach in Lake tahoe, snow capped mountains in the distance. extremely windy because a storm was coming in. But fun.

Then a 220 miles drive back home in the prius C Which does well except for the climb up to the donner summit at 7200 feet. I had to stay close to 60mph for the climb in the truck lane. Otherwise its all 75 to 80 mph. The C is not really an interstate sort of vehicle. There was some light snow at the summit as we went by with temps down to 2c, once back in concord we had 20c.

Next month I think we will head back down to our usual haunts in the Monterey area because thats only about 120 miles each way versus 220.

its sort of like driving to Ktown from taipei for an overnight. But the drive is much more scenic though going through I80 up to 89 and then down to North Lake tahoe and taking the calif side down to South late tahoe. The calif side is more scenic than the nevada side. Which we took coming home today. Up the nevada side to 89 back up to 80 and home via 80.

Back to work for me tomorrow and Tammy back to her zoom classes… The cats were fine at home over night and everything was fine, no accidents …no misplaced turds outside the litter box.

Will post some pics shortly

4 Likes

How was her trip back from JKT?

Jfk trip went super well upgraded to premium economy using points on the ultra long haul sections and five days quarantine free at the holiday inn courtesy of the indo govt

Premium economy class was just her and few
Others on the a350 LAX to/from SIN
She said she should have saved her points as economy was two thirds empty anyways

Planes were about a quarter full she said

1 Like