Taoyuan Airport über alles

The basement food court? No doubt. I liked that big restaurant room though. I was sorry when they closed it

former GF was a stew so i often went to TPE ever since the sucker opened way back when. I always liked it. Restaurant on second floor just before you went into immi was nice enough. The small restaurant right at arrival was pretty good. It had a nice beef stew rice that I always got when i went there. Restaurants were run by Grand Hotel.
Parking was great (back then) and not unreasonable to leave the car for a few days on a HK visa run.

That was all the old terminal 1, Used the 2 a few times, thought it was ok. NOw concrete chunks falling off the ceiling= big NO NO.
That could have killed someone.

That has to be fixed and the problem should not re occur.
maybe earthquakes weakened it?

2 Likes

First you need to find someone with a degree in translation from an MOE-respected institution or five years of full-time experience in translation (since super-foreigners are probably out of your price range), then you need to convince the person Taiwan is a good career choice, and then you need to do the paperwork and pay the salary. That’s obviously too 麻煩 to discuss at the dinning table. :upside_down_face:

they made a bunch of very expensive restaurants there now. 300 ntd meals. its pretty whack.

It’s more than an 80 NT$ lunchbox!

1 Like

Well its all relative. Close to work there is a taiwanese restaurant that sells bientang. All the bientang are over 10 bucks !!!
They would sell in Taipei for about 80nt.

A big mac meal here in the bay area cost you bout 8 bucks !! Thats for a lousy big mac meal .

The Big Mac index

1 Like

maybe some people like the whole airport experience, and paying for a premium meal fits in with that.

for me i just want some food to tide me over so i don’t have to eat the gunk they serve on the plane.

i did end up getting mac Ds as it was the only reasonably priced option.
terminal 1 has a decent food court but its before you go through security. not ideal

we like the 7-Eleven at terminal 2 basement. don’t have to worry about seeing new choices. Same goes for McDonald’s.

Listen up, Taiwan government. For a measly $2 million NT a year, I will sit in an office from 8 am - 5 pm every day and translate/correct every public sign/website in the country. This is a bargain and will greatly improve your status among international travelers.

4 Likes

600 is plenty.

In American?

In perfuct American

:rofl:

You do know entry level full time translator salary is 50k, maybe 60k? But they do not do full time contracts now. They sub contract to the lowest bidder agency, which in turn hires the cheapest per word freelancer.

That is the same problem with the airport building. Or why do you think all their construction workers are wai Lao?

I know… That’s why I’m making a pitch…on a message board.

TPE is one of the most efficient user friendly airports on earth…

Yeah that was horrific in the old days .
I travel through taoyuan quite often .

Top marks for efficiency in getting through egate . Clearing immigration without egsatr can be slow especially for visitors . Too many group tours.
Can be a bit slow too with bags.
Getting a taxi is usually very quick except for rainy periods.

Food options airside always quite limited given its supposed to be an international airport. Shopping is a write off. Everything is too narrow. Getting between 1 and 2 is a bit of an embarrassment.

Terminal one is horrifically crowded in summer. Lipstick on a pig.

The entrance road to the airport is an embarrassment for the nation also.

Mainly I’m happy the delays from when runway 2 was being redone are fnished , they were terrible and went on for a year or two.

2 Likes

They just really need to spruce all the terminals up and make more space available, way too small and crowded. Low ceilings, narrow long corridors , crowded arrivals and departures.

2 Likes

Last night at the Warsaw airport, far beyond the security gate, they scanned my boarding pass before I bought water.

I can’t think of any reason for them to do that aside from collecting analytics to determine which visitors spend the most.

Taoyuan should do something like that.

1 Like

This is key for me. In terms of getting from plane to outside the airport and vice versa, Taoyuan is the fastest, most efficient international airport I’ve ever used. Everything else is just window dressing.

2 Likes