Taoyuan starter guide

Hi people,

I am heading to Taoyuan on 5th January.

Would like some info on a few things to get me going…

1. Good gyms in the area of Toayuan, I like lifting weights and would like to find some good communities for this.

2. What are the best APPS I will need.
    e.g. Food delivery, translation, trains, any thing that is a must download

3. Good spots to eat. I will be close to Taoyuan Station

4 . Lastly for the moment. I am bringing my bicycle and wondering if there are some good bike paths, or safe routes leading out from Taoyuan

2 Likes

Do you know which part of Taoyuan you’ll be in?

EDIT: My bad. Close to the station. I can’t help you, sorry

1 Like

Hi BiggusDickus,

I’ll be working at Taoyuan Municipal Taoyuan Senior high school

Is that the real name?

1 Like

Yeah mate

Presumably Taoyuan is so nice they included it in the name twice?

8 Likes

My preferred chain style gym is Fitness Factory. There are good cycle paths alongside the river. If you want a bit of culture you can cycle all the way to Nankan.

3 Likes

Search for taoyuan groups in Facebook.
There’s SEAMI group that meets south of the train station every Friday. Will help you get into the local scene.
There’s Taoyuan Sports and Pub Quiz group.
There’s Taoyuan parents group in LINE.
Plenty of AYCE in Tonlin and ATT plaza north of the train station.
Apps: Shoppee, Youbike 1.0, GoShare, Google Translate, Google Maps, (optional: Circle.Life)
Get Circle.life no contract sim card with my referral code L975JEU7. TIA!

4 Likes

5 Likes

Thank you for the info!

Cheers Bdick

Deep down, in the early hours of the morning, you wish you could have been an English teacher. I feel your pain.

5 Likes

What does that do exactly? 4G without a contract?

Oh Taoyuan, the Cannes of Taiwan!

Good Thai food in Thai town near the train station. No particular recommendations, just look around and see what you like.

Apps:

• Google Chrome
  • Gmail
  • Line
  • BusTracker Taiwan
  • App from whatever bank you choose/are forced to bank with. Your goal is to avoid visiting banks in person at all cost, so make sure you register all accounts you might ever transfer to both in Taiwan and abroad on the day you open your account.

If you capitalize apps, you are already 90% adjusted to local customs, so you will do perfectly fine.

6 Likes

Yes, at least in English 桃園市立桃園高級中等學校

OP, I live not far from the train station. I don’t belong to a gym but I’ll try to think of suggestions for the other stuff. Feel free to PM me if you want.

:heart:

2 Likes

Apps:

1. Line (must-have)
  2. Taiwan Railways e-booking (台鐵e訂通) has English
  3. Taoyuan Bus Timetable, has English. Also good for buses all over Taiwan is 台灣公車通 but it’s only in Chinese.
  4. Taxis: Uber, Find Taxi, 55688, all have English
  5. Taiwan High Speed Rail (HSR 台灣高鐵), has English
  6. YouBike 1.0, not sure if you need an ARC (Alien Resident Certificate) to register, but you can use a credit card until you get your ARC. Only system 1.0 bikes are in Taoyuan; 2.0 is in other areas and probably in Taoyuan later.

Google Translate using the camera feature (or other apps) is a godsend until your Chinese gets better.

Food Delivery:
Uber Eats and Food Panda

National Immigration Agency (NIA) is located in the “government circle”, you’ll need to go here for your ARC.
On that note, here is a list of hospitals where you can get your required health check.

Taoyuan Senior High is next to Hutoushan (Tiger Head Mountain) where there are some nice hiking and bike riding roads.
As others have mentioned, the Nankan River Bike Trail (南崁溪自行車道) is pretty good. It’s indicated on Google Maps by a green dashed line. As far as I know, the path currently runs from Zhongzheng Park in Guishan (Google Maps) almost to the coast (Google Maps).

As for eating, I think it’s best just to explore and see what you find. If you’re in the mood for western food, Panther is one place that I like.

8 Likes

this post should be pinned on the main page

5 Likes

Unlimited 4G, 30 min talk. Uses CHT towers (best in Taiwan)
Only $466. Your bill gets discounted if you use less data.

2 Likes

When I worked in gov in Taiwan decades, I taught journalism three times a month at a uni in the evening.

Not really my cup of tea but respect it if it is certified (whether through a MOE certificate or a BA in education, the former of which I had even for journo classes).

Awesome thankyou. Ill be sure to use your code