Tariffs, trade war

MyZ4gyi

Agreed. China had it coming for decades now. The treatment of Huawei seems excessive though. At best, it is based on murky reasoning.

Korea, Japan and Taiwan stand to gain a lot once they move some factories out of China.

1 Like

Many factories have moved to other regions in Asia and Africa already and I predict more will move sooner rather than later.

With the inevitable passing of HKSAR’s rendition law next month, more Americans will be flying your way.

Both Taiwan and USA share democracy and liberalism.

Agree. Probably as many “backdoor” issues with Western systems. The issue is the “potential” damage that the countries with that power may be capable of .
China has had a pretty good run of leniency towards it’s trading practices . If it had shown a willingness to police business and have a fairer human rights policy …and many other things like actually fulfilling it’s promises , there would be more sympathy for their plight.
You can bet that China would not permit a Western 5g system rollout in China

Huawei is just caught in the middle of Trump trying to hit China hard and show he means business. I might have a bit more criticism of the move if the communist party wansnt handling foreign businesses the same way making sure Chinese firms always came out on top since they opened up for foreign investments.

I’m actually disappointed in China for crying foul like a bunch of cry babies. As they say, don’t hate the player…hate the game.

1 Like

Differences in civilisations and ideologies!
How this could be objectively and fairly balanced is key to global and planetary survival of this century???

Plus sustainability of course!

Walking on a tight rope isn’t simply for entertainment!

Winning the game is the best revenge.

I notice the pressure on Huawei seems to have caused an awful lot of issues that affect the whole market . It seems that , as with Iran, the markets feel happier to side with the US in some areas .
Do you think that the effect of this Trade War are harder on China than they say ? The Bank situation appears to be getting serious and there is movement away from some Manufacturers …seems a bad long term outlook …but I guess it depends whether the USA can hold out long enough .
After Baoshang Bank…now this…awful lot of Chinese Banks that have delayed Annual reports …and auditors resigning now.

Remember how the first Cold War ended?

Glasnost was nothing more than trying to come partway out of denial. Perestroika just rearranged the deck chairs. What made the difference is not anything that Reagan did but something Reagan stopped doing. He stopped bailing the bastards out.

Reminds me of the Kerry Packer gambling story and the Texas man .
Cash is King . There can be only One.
The USA still controls an awful lot and China can be bullish and brave but it’s recent growth is just that …recent . If the World has to choose a side …I think many would still choose the USA. It would only take a few things ( like Bank issues) to cause China some very serious problems that will be seen within months. Perhaps I am wrong …but

The end will be very, very sudden…

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RuPPFa-4vWk

Wall st. dumped 100 billion in investment fund money into China since January of this year. Interesting indeed. I’ve heard about it one other place but this video addresses it at about the 9:30 mark.
https://youtu.be/g7VIeykAxsE

Hopefully they will lose every cent of it :yum:

No no no. That’s a lot of retirement fund money and lobby clout in Wash.

Not as much as the Chinese Government Bond holding in Dollars :thinking::smirk:. Which is of no real leverage for them in reality as it’s not in their “ interest” ( see what I did there )to panic sell

Pulling out before it’s too late is a little more difficult than putting it in.

1 Like

The next 6 months will be interesting … but I have to say that it was time for someone to call the Chinese out . I believe if a more level playing field is agreed and policed , we may get zero tariffs

1 Like

Hope this war will end with a win win for both countries plus globally.