Tattoos are ugly

It’s not an age thing. It’s more a question of good taste and intelligence. Asia Argento in the photo above is clearly a very attractive woman, save for the hideous mural below her navel that looks like something a fourth-grader with ADD might scribble on his math book. She comes off as a complete idiot, something the tattoo would appear to confirm in a manner analogous to the famous saying about opening your mouth and removing all doubt of one’s status in the brain sweepstakes.

It’s not an age thing. It’s more a question of good taste and intelligence. Asia Argento in the photo above is clearly a very attractive woman, save for the hideous mural below her navel that looks like something a fourth-grader with ADD might scribble on his math book. She comes off as a complete idiot, something the tattoo would appear to confirm in a manner analogous to the famous saying about opening your mouth and removing all doubt of one’s status in the brain sweepstakes.[/quote]

:laughing:

I totally agree, but then again I am over 35, so Erhu could also be right.

HG

Asia Argento: I want you baby. Put it in me now.
Porcelainprincess: I can’t. I just can’t. I mean, look at that thing.

[quote=“smell the glove”]Asia Argento: I want you baby. Put it in me now.
Porcelainprincess: I can’t. I just can’t. I mean, look at that thing.[/quote]
Yep, this did indeed happen to me once (though naturally I didn’t actually say it out loud). Good thing we’d been drinking. You can always blame anything on drinking.

porcelainprincess, Don’t you feel that by stating your opinion as fact and harshly judging those whose opinions are counter to yours that you are only showing the world how closed minded you are? And isn’t it an academic fact that closed minded people learn less than those with open minds? So who is it that should be branded as having a childish mentality? Those expressing themselves in the way they wish or those who feel the world should succumb to their opinion?

A tattoo to me is no different than a haircut or a pierced ear. It might be more permanent, but I have to live with the way my toes or elbows look for the rest of my life…why would I get tired of a tattoo? I don’t really like those sketchy metal ones…I prefer clear lines in all black or red…but a good tattoo can look just as nice as say, a good eye or nose.
Having a tattoo hardly means rebel these days, anyways. Unless you’re 16, perhaps. I would feel sorry for people who think they’re getting it to shock others, but if you just feel like getting some picture that you think is cool or hardcore or meaningful to yourself, go for it, by all means.

well put SAF
to say that a tattoo is a sure sign of lower IQ just exposes the OP as a fool.

stephen hawking has a tat on his ass,you never seen it of course

I’m just amazed that blokes can find hairless parts of their body on which to plant a tattoo. I’ve never felt the urge seeing as it was a toss up between my palms, forehead and Wilbur.

And by not having ink and proudly shouting the fact from the Umosan hilltops, are you not equally branding yourself with your negative space? Look at me. No Tats. I’m so cool!

To each his own PP. That you’d turn down that lovely cuz of some (iyo) disagreeable art, then I’d say you have more serious issues than we can deal with here. :wink:

The DNS was reading over my shoulder and asked me what I thought about women with tattoos. Asked me if I thought it was sexy. I said yeah. She then informed me that I had the wrong woman. :unamused:

:laughing:

I quickly reminded her that, in most cases, just being a woman is “sexy”. But maybe not for PP. He has to get all up in hs head. “OMG, this nubile young thing is offering me her treasure, but I cant take it because she conforms to non-conformity. Run away, far away!”
:yay:

More for us PP.

:dance:

These days in “Western culture”, tattoos on men or women are about as nonconformist as buttonfly Levis blue jeans.

Now hanging fishhooks off your gentials…THAT’S where it’s at!

I’ve seen some bad hairstyles that are even worse than a bad tattoo. What makes it even worse is that the person paid U.S $100-150 for something that grows out in a month.

Many tattoos are ridiculous, but a lot of people put serious thought into them and have them as a reminder of a specific event or philosophy that has influenced them. The tattoo is not really for others, but for the person that owns it.

No ways…these days if you want to be non-conformist you have to get married, have kids and go to church.

Sophistry is fun. The “open-minded” tattoo-lovers are the smart ones, or have a less “childish mentality,” and I’m a close-minded git because I think tattoos are ugly.

Hmm…let’s try that one on for a moment: “Dude, this snake would be so bitchin’ on your calf, but I can’t lend you the fifty bucks today, I gotta get the Enfamil or Ashley’ll squeeze my nuts off.”

Naw, doesn’t work for me. Tattoos are for morons. Or sailors. See, I had a really dumb Flock-of-Seagulls haircut back in 1984 that I can laugh about because, well, it’s not 1984 anymore. But with tattoos, you’re stuck with the Flock of Seagulls for good (unless laser surgery gets better and cheaper, which may very well happen).

You can run, run so far away, but you can’t get away. You know how trends come and go? The whole post-1990 tattoo boom is going bust, and people are waking up in their thirties and saying “Shit!”

I will add one caveat, though: “Tattoo” from the Who’s Live at Leeds is a stellar track. Having said that, the song is about two rough-and-ready brothers who go out and get tattoos, and who will most probably go out and get jobs as sailors very soon after. So they don’t mind so much looking dumb.

I’m in my 30s. My tattoo is 15 years old. I don’t regret it. It is a form of personal expression. I am not saying that those who don’t have them are closed minded. It is a choice they make. I am saying those who think their opinions are fact are closed minded.

I got a tattoo when I was 18. I liked it then because it was “meaningful” to me. I liked it in my 20s. And even my 30s. Now, CHRIST! I wish I didn’t have it because it just reminds me of what a dumb prick I was when I was younger. And it’s so “meaningful,” I have absolutely NO recollection of why I got it or what it’s supposed to remind me of.
Plus, hardly anyone had tattoos back then apart from those ones you did in the back of the classroom with a pocketknife and a torn-open biro. Now everyone has them. And 95% of them look exactly the same as everyone elses.

But I must admit they’re good on a woman. Tells you they’re willing to do pretty much ANYTHING without thinking too hard about it first. Which is very good for the less prepossessing-looking among us (not me, of course – I have a tat so I get all the pussy I want). :wink:

I am not a big ink fan–I think once as a kid I caught the 1981 film Tattoo on HBO and that turned me off completely. However, if I ever have to leave Taiwan, I will probably get a nice little green island in the shape of Taiwan placed on me so it will always be with me.

What really creeps me out is walking down that tattoo alley in Hsimen–afraid I’ll be hit with a stray needle or have inky blood splattered on me. Tattoo parlors should be encased in walls, not out on the street.

I wanted a tat when I was a kid - a Sea Eagle representing the rugby team I then liked - I loathe that team now so I’m doubly glad I didn’t get it.

Around this time there was a great tale of a bunch of hoods hanging out at a beach side pinball parlour when a rival gang arrived and a predictably vicious melee erupted. One chap had a cool tattoo, “. . . . . .Cut along dotted line . . . . . . .” around his throat and well someone obliged with a broken bottle. I thought again how careful one should be in choosing a permanent marking.

But then finally, working as a young nurse Ratchett I started to notice how bad and sad these once lairy and aggressive tats looked on the shrivelled old men in my care in the geriatric units and it impressed me deeply that a tattoo was a permanent beastie and that you’re thoughts and indeed your very self are constantly changing. It seemed to me a very sorry thing to fix something permanent to an effective state of flux.

Now mind you, a prison tat, especially those tear thingees meaning the owner has killed someone can stop me in my tracks.

But by all means, tat owners. Love them, hate them I don;t care, really. Ms Huang doesn’t have a tat, and I like that. Oh shit I tell a lie . . . she has tatttooed eyebrows!

HG.

[quote=“porcelainprincess”]

The stupidity is twofold: first, obviously, once the regret kicks in and you realize how dumb it looks, you subsequently realize how expensive and/or painful it would be to remove it; [/quote]

Ha, but then there is the Belgian BLS-laser company …

• Laser markers engravers for the automotive sector; warning signs on rear mirrors
  • Construction of a Ruby laser for tattoo removing

Isn’t Belgium a great country … they make machines to remove eye sores … :slight_smile:

[quote=“jdsmith”]These days in “Western culture”, tattoos on men or women are about as nonconformist as buttonfly Levis blue jeans.

Now hanging fishhooks off your gentials…THAT’S where it’s at![/quote]

I don’t understand how they can have sex without hurting themselves … :s :noway:

And eating with a pierced tongue … :astonished:

But … are most tattoo barers tattoed for themselves? They can’t see what’s on their back or arse, even on the torso and belly they need to look in the mirror, and even than they only see a mirrored image …

And what happened to the 'Mother forever" tattoos?

I so agree…look at this poor girl. Stuck with a crooked tatt done in insane fonts. Who does that to oneself?!

yikes…and this…wonder if the person has any idea what it says!!!

pp…you rule!