Tatung rice cooker

They’re really simple, and is really overbuilt. I think they have been basically unchanged from the 1950s.

1 Like

:person_shrugging:

I paid like $2500 NTD brand new for the 10 portion size. The one I replaced was used for like 20 years. I would definitely not pay that much for it. It’s over priced. Don’t buy it there. Go to a mom and pops shop.

Actually, electronics here make no sense. They cost so much more compared to most countries. I think is import tax. Things like Asus computers cost like 5%-10% more compared to the west. Make no sense…Asus is like in Taiwan. Need to talk to the government about this.

1 Like

It seems vintage wins on this post.
I apologise for dissing the Tatung rice and tea egg cooker.
I bow :bowing_woman: to your wisdom and shall continue to use with new enlightenment.

2 Likes

I wonder if it’s due to the relatively small market size… therefore increased distribution cost?

1 Like

LOL, I am just busting your balls. I wouldn’t pay that much for it. For cooking rice, I like my Zojirushi rice cooker. Tatung is annoying to cook rice with.

1 Like

I dont’ know…but it’s annoying . Oh god, see now i am complaining.

1 Like

It’s the reliability. People been using their Tatung rice cookers for decades and it never fails. In Taiwan it’s either Zojirushi or Tatung. You want modern you go Zojirushi otherwise Tatung. Oh, and silver? Ugh. It has to be green or it sucks lol.

2 Likes

I always thought they were overpriced and rather unimpressive too. I bought the Instant Pot (which is faster at cooking rice).

I guess they do last forever though, as others have noted. Had to get my Instant Pot replaced a few months ago after the electronics self-immolated after a little over a year of light to moderate use. I doubt that wouldn’t have happened with the rice cooker.

Tatung rice cooker just consists of heating element, the internal switch to make it turn off when the rice is done, indicator lights, the pot itself, etc.

The pot itself is overbuilt and unless you use them for skydiving they would never break.

There really isn’t a whole lot to go wrong in the Tatung rice cooker. There’s no electronics to fail. If it stops working it can be easily replaced.

1 Like

I make my own yogurt in a heavy saucepan, instant pot has yogurt function, I looked online waste of time works same way heats the milk to 84c then remove inner pot check temp is correct, leave to cool add yogurt starter then put back in and switch function on again for 6 hours!
I heat in pan, leave to cool add starter put lid on pan wrap in a small towel leave overnight, works every time.
So I won’t be shelling out 3699ntd and I won’t try in the vintage Tatung admired as much a 1953 Rolls Royce silver ghost it seems.

Yea, if you need something that requires electronic monitoring, like something which requires a specific temperature, then you need an instant pot.

An Instant Pot isn’t a yogurt maker though. It’s primarily a pressure cooker, with the yogurt-making mode added as an ancillary feature because 95% of the required functionality is already there.

If all you want to do is make yogurt, then obviously this isn’t the best tool for the job, and I’m sure you could buy a simple dedicated yogurt maker (which isn’t complicated at all) for a third of the price or less. It seems you already know how to make yogurt though, so I’m not quite sure what the problem is…nobody is forcing you to buy an Instant Pot or a Tatung rice cooker.

The Costco model also has a sous vide function, which works fine, but if all you’re interested in is sous vide there are better dedicated solutions (e.g., with active water circulation).

You are probably doing it wrong.

You sound very bitter over the rice cooker… Don’t be my friend, its just an appliance. I dont own one too… and I also find Costco prices too pricey, their sole advantage is the return policy.

By the way, if one wishes to buy a traditional rice cooker, I would not recommend Tatung, which are no longer made in Taiwan.

I would recommend Wanngwo instead. Made in Taiwan, has a power switch, also half the price. You can find it on pcHome, momo and other online stores.

https://24h.pchome.com.tw/prod/DMBI27-A900A2P9K?fq=/S/DMBI27

1 Like

You read my post I already have a Tatung rice cooker, yes I do know how to make yogurt and was intrigued by the instant pot function. That I explained was same process as doing in a saucepan.
You saying packed up after a year with little use could be another reason not to buy one!

Wow that’s what I call an over reaction!

I didn’t realise so many are so protective of their kitchen appliances.

For me Tatung is my secret weight cut weapon. Helps me so much on saving time on cooking. Healthy as hell to steam food than pan fried or fried, especially without oven.

1 Like

You hit the mail on the head with your reply.
Posters defending the Tatung are not defending the brand they are defending Taiwan,
I’m a bit slow on the uptake sometimes.
I love :heart: Taiwan it’s why I live here.

Losing or keeping weight down is hard work :sweat:
Steam cookers are a good tool and I use mine frequently, tho I still dislike it.
Steamed fish and soups, and rice a carb! Pasta, potatoes anything using flour.

Maybe have a post on healthy low carb food cooked in your steam cooker?

1 Like