Tatung rice cooker

Damn that actually make a lot of sense now. I never looked at it that way on here until it’s mentioned. I think that’s ego and stalls growth. Oh well, can’t help someone that can’t help it self. Definitely don’t feel like defending someone when they won’t at least attempt to improve themselves. Feels like welfare lol.

Good perspective! I learned something today.:+1:

I would say one great benefit of most traditional rice cookers is that there is no PFAS. Some Tatung models started to use PFAS maybe a decade ago. However, all Wanngwo rice cookers are PFAS free. Same can’t be said with most instant cookers/electronic cookers.

1 Like

Trust me man you don’t want to eat my diet lol. It taste bland.

Wasn’t Tatung used to be the Foxxconn of Taiwan , then the young generation took over and ran it into the ground? I remember seeing Tatung in the west back in 90s and early 2k.

1 Like

I think we could have summed all this up with price and demand just like any other product.
I have tatung rice cooker, Zojirushi rice cooker, and a ninja foodie. I use the tatung the most.

I’ve been using my 10-year old Tatung. Could you elaborate why you preferred it over the other two much newer designs?

I hate the new designs. I prefer the old version.

That comment will stop you being hounded out of Taiwan :rofl:

1 Like

I wash the rice in the container until clear, drain, add same quantity of rice with water in the main pot (how I was instructed) same again into the rice pot.
My superior German rice cooker I added double quantity into rice only.

For me, the taste between rice cooked in Tatung and Zojirushi is about the same. Cleanup is easier with the Tatung imo. I don’t was the lid of the Tatung, but I was the lid of Zojirushi if I use it since it actually says to wash it every time.
The ninja cleanup is a pain. Too many things to wash.

If you are cooking less than 3 cups (the plastic cup provided by Tatung) of rice, you should use a smaller stainless or pottery pot, and put a steamer rack underneath your pot.

That’s how I do it. My rice cooks all the way through and I don’t ever get nurungji stuck at the bottom of the pot. Although, for some people, it is desirable to get nurungji.

2 Likes

鍋巴? :thinking:

2 Likes

I find you can achieve the same effect just by adding some extra water outside the (undersized) pot. A couple of millimeters is sufficient.

Actually, I’ve just placed smaller pots inside the cooker if I want to cook less rice. It works fine without burning. That’s one nice thing about Tatung rice cooker, is that you can put any metal container that fits the cooker inside to cook whatever. The automatic rice cookers do not offer the same freedom (you must use the inner pot it comes with, can’t use anything smaller). Instant pot have the same problem, you must use the pot it comes with.

1 Like

Aha that’s the answer, I only use 1 cup 2 portion, no steamer rack I do put water into main body.
I’ve given up on white rice tho and brown doesn’t stick.
I will do as you suggested though.

PS: primal point of the post was why is basic old fashioned rice pot so expensive.

Yeah, use a smaller pot for less rice is the main trick. I usually just leave the steam plate in there because I’m lazy and it doesn’t affect the outcome of the rice.

Your point about the inner pot is exactly why I haven’t switched to an automatic rice cooker, since those almost always have a PFAS coating.

1 Like

The key is thickness of the rice pile. If the pot is too large your pile of rice will be too thin, causing burning (automatic rice cooker is particularly bad about this).

2 Likes

hence the PFAS coating, I’m guessing.

IMO it’s that they’re just indestructible. They’re built the way appliances used to be built, ie., designed to last 20-30 years. I had to strip one down to replace the heating element (because I’d accidentally plugged it into a 240V supply) and the design is pretty good. It all looks a bit crude and clunky, but the possible failure modes are very few.

This is why convenience stores sell tea eggs in them. They’ve been running continuously for probably 10+ years without any issue. An instant pot would probably self immolate if you tried that.

2 Likes

I believe there is a minimum amount of rice you have to cook if your using the default pot that came with your rice cooker.