Teach English w/o a passport from 1 of 'the 7 countries'?

Wow - that would really scupper our plan completely! Would the fact that he’s married to me (a Brit) help? Is there any way he could work legally as a teacher without a teaching permit?! His CELTA from South Africa, if it helps…[/quote]
Where is he from?
At the Tainan Sesame Street organization there’s a guy from Jordan, one from Sweden and a girl from Zimbabwe. The guy from Jordan has been teaching here for about 20 years and only applied for permanent residence two years ago, so he had been on a work visa (ARC) all the time before that.
As far as I know neither one of those three countries are recognized as official English speaking countries.
Don’t want to get your hopes up, but he could contact some of the major chain schools like Sesame Street, Hess, Global Village etc and see what happens.

Obviously, if he had a UK passport through marriage it would make things much simpler.

[quote=“bismarck”]
Where is he from?
At the Tainan Sesame Street organization there’s a guy from Jordan, one from Sweden and a girl from Zimbabwe. The guy from Jordan has been teaching here for about 20 years and only applied for permanent residence two years ago, so he had been on a work visa (ARC) all the time before that.
As far as I know neither one of those three countries are recognized as official English speaking countries.
Don’t want to get your hopes up, but he could contact some of the major chain schools like Sesame Street, Hess, Global Village etc and see what happens.

Obviously, if he had a UK passport through marriage it would make things much simpler.[/quote]

My husband has dual Romanian and Israeli citizenship. He would need to have lived in the UK for 3-5 years to get a UK passport, but we haven’t been to the UK except on short visits. Thanks for the suggestion. I would assume that if the chain schools would not see a problem, then it may be possible. I’ll try them and see. Fingers crossed!

[quote=“bombshells”][quote=“bismarck”]
Where is he from?

Obviously, if he had a UK passport through marriage it would make things much simpler.[/quote]

My husband has dual Romanian and Israeli citizenship. He would need to have lived in the UK for 3-5 years to get a UK passport, but we haven’t been to the UK except on short visits. Thanks for the suggestion. I would assume that if the chain schools would not see a problem, then it may be possible. I’ll try them and see. Fingers crossed![/quote]
There was a Romanina girl teaching with me at the adult school where I work, but she was here because her husband had an ARC. He was from Japan and was teaching Japanese here.
Like I said, don’t get your hopes up, but if Swedes and Jordanians can teach here, I don’t see why a Romanian-Israeli couldn’t.

Thanks, bismark. That does open up another possibility, then. I am British with a degree. If I get a job teaching in Taiwan, would that allow me to get an ARC and bring my husband and daughter over with me? If so, may he then be allowed to teach?

I think your best solution is you come over to teach and get a working ARC. He comes over on a student visa to study Chinese and ‘does what he needs to do’ in his spare time. Get my drift?

Yes, he can get an ARC because of you. I’m not exactly sure how it works, but I know it can be done, and does happen.

Yes, he can get an ARC because of you. I’m not exactly sure how it works, but I know it can be done, and does happen.[/quote]

Thank you! We’ll start looking into it.

If you secure a work-based ARC, your husband and kid can stay here with you on Joining Family Resident Visas (JFRV). This means they will be issued with ARCs but these will not allow them to work legally.

The two chaps above know a lot more than I do. Ignore my post, and good luck bombshells!

Oh, but it sounds like you do mind a fair bit. Sorry, but you lose all credibility when you decry the presence of non-American teachers in an English language school. I notice you mention Italians and French, but your first three listed were SA, Brit and Can. I’m inclined to believe the first three you listed make up the majority, if not the entire group of the dreaded non-Americans. What? Do you think everyone who speaks English, even in America, looks and sounds like you? Fact is, native speakers of English come from a host of different nations. Do you think that everyone who taught you was American, or originally so (I pity you if your answer is yes)? One of the more brilliant Literature professors I ever encountered came from-- god forbid-- India. An international staff is no strike against an English school; it’s a big plus.

And as for the counter staff, they likely earn between 800-900USD per month. It’s a bit much to expect fluency in foreign languages at that pay level. It’s up to you to learn more of their language, especially considering where you live.

[quote=“Toasty”][quote=“Weig”]>poor english skills by the staff & students…eg, T.A’s, boss,counter staff…etc…

multi-cultural teachers…(i dont mind)…but as an American school…i was the only one…we had SA, Brit,Can.Italy, French…
…[/quote]

Oh, but it sounds like you do mind a fair bit. Sorry, but you lose all credibility when you decry the presence of non-American teachers in an English language school. I notice you mention Italians and French, but your first three listed were SA, Brit and Can. I’m inclined to believe the first three you listed make up the majority, if not the entire group of the dreaded non-Americans. What? Do you think everyone who speaks English, even in America, looks and sounds like you? Fact is, native speakers of English come from a host of different nations. Do you think that everyone who taught you was American, or originally so (I pity you if your answer is yes)? One of the more brilliant Literature professors I ever encountered came from-- god forbid-- India. An international staff is no strike against an English school; it’s a big plus.

And as for the counter staff, they likely earn between 800-900USD per month. It’s a bit much to expect fluency in foreign languages at that pay level. It’s up to you to learn more of their language, especially considering where you live.[/quote]

Toasty,
NO, i dont mind a mix of english speaking teachers or where they hail from. My point was to say that the school would hire anyone with a white face fresh off the plane…I got along great with the other foreign teachers…but as an american school (guess the name helps attract business), i thought it was rather funny. Taiwan only recognizes 4 countries as “native speaking” ( australia, canada, england, & usa ) Thats fact. And you’d think such a school would have decent speaking english staff…yes, i think ive said that many times…an english school! :doh: No wonder so many kids in taiwan still speak chinglish or broken english (ill give the cook & counter staff a break on this) Even both bosses had terrible english…oh, and i speak fluent mandarin too…its all about the benjamins…

[quote=“Weig”]

Toasty,
NO, I don’t mind a mix of english speaking teachers or where they hail from.[/quote]

Oh? But you listed “multi-cultural teachers” as one of your main complaints about the school. I might have understood if you were complaining that they were hiring large numbers of non-native speakers and were breaking the law. However, the first three countries you list in your complaint are English-speaking countries! No, your main problem is with people who don’t hail from the States

[quote=“Weig”]My point was to say that the school would hire anyone with a white face fresh off the plane…[/quote] So why didn’t you state that in your OP?

Question: How many American schools in America hire qualified teachers from other countries?

So why do you list 2 of these countries in your complaint against the school?

Have you gone back and checked all the errors in your own written English? Your OP is barely readable.

I’m more than certain you’re far from fluent, else why would counter staff’s English ability have been a problem?

No. That’s not a fact. You are misinformed. Taiwan recognises the US, Canada, UK (and Ireland), South Africa, Australia and New Zealand as native English speaking countries. Go check the MoE website and I’m pretty sure you’ll find the same on the Ministry of Labor’s site.

Bismark is right. To your list add New Zealand, South Africa, Ireland,and replace “england” with the U.K.

If you’re critical of other people’s English, I think you need to be more careful with your own.

Speaking of Mandarin fluency…you know what’s funny? I don’t think I’ve ever heard sjcma or Ironlady make that claim. And I’m pretty sure they’re damn close, if not fluent. Just a thought… :2cents:

Bismark is right. To your list add New Zealand, South Africa, Ireland,and replace “england” with the U.K.

If you’re critical of other people’s English, I think you need to be more careful with your own.[/quote]

What zender said.

Also, the ‘kids in taiwan still speak chinglish or broken english’ and will continue to do so because they live in an EFL environment. They don’t ever have to use English once they leave the classroom.

My :2cents: and I’m not an English teacher. Hell, I’m not even a native English speaker.

wow…they added 2 more countries… really, are you sure about that? And yes, Bismark, i am fluent…wanna have your taiwanese friends call me & make a bet? Ive lived here so long, i should be & also was a translator for many years…(ya i know…some have lived here 20yrs & still speak crappy mandarin) NO, im not ABC or mix…white male, btw.
Anyways…this thread was about complaints…not whose “native” or not…christ…that was a huge debate few years back in all the papers… :doh:
Im fine with any non-american teachers, aka “multi-cultural…toasty missed the whole point…the kids speak broken english because they hire shit local teachers (cheaper) who have terrible english skills as is. So, its not about being critical…its the facts…the kids in my school speak great english…the boss hires good foreign teachers…i think its our job to make sure they speak well & actually learn something in class.
Toasty’s quote -->” more than certain you’re far from fluent, else why would counter staff’s English ability have been a problem?"
Weig’s answer → again, wanna bet me? and it IS a problem with the other foreign teachers who dont speak fluently & need answers about pay, punchcards, rules,etc…
NEWSFLASH…just got a call from 1 of my ex coworkers : JAS will be closing for good come next semester. Im not surprised…you cant keep screwing people over (students too) and not have repercussion…

They didn’t add two more countries. It’s always been the same seven countries. But believe what you want, makes no difference to me. In any event, an easy internet search will turn up that information. It’s not exactly a secret.

They didn’t add two more countries. It’s always been the same seven countries. But believe what you want, makes no difference to me. In any event, an easy internet search will turn up that information. It’s not exactly a secret.[/quote]
…ahhh, thanks Bis for clearing that up…guess the foreign affairs police dept in taichung is lacking on that info…for thats what they told us since way back…
Maybe you can help me with another Q : Is Taiwan part of CHina or not?? jk… :sunglasses:

They didn’t add two more countries. It’s always been the same seven countries. But believe what you want, makes no difference to me. In any event, an easy internet search will turn up that information. It’s not exactly a secret.[/quote]
…ahhh, thanks Bis for clearing that up…guess the [color=#FF0000]foreign affairs police[/color] dept in Taichung is lacking on that info…for thats what they told us since way back…[/quote]
Well, there’s your problem right there. They don’t know jack about which countries the Ministry of Education recognises as English speaking countries, and they know even less about which countries the Department of Labour recognises as English speaking countries when they (DoL) issue work permits to teachers.
The FAP don’t even know the relevant rules regulating the teaching of English in kindergartens. Go ahead. Ask them, and see if they can give you a straight answer. Which brings us back to the topic and why there are so many dodgy schools.

According to the Ministry of Education.