Teacher Certification Questions

I am considering doing an online program to get a state teaching certificate in the USA. After program completion I would have a certificate issued by the state of Arizona. BUT I have read that Taiwan doesn’t recognize teaching certificates if they were done by an online program. Does anyone have any information about this policy?

I know there are already some threads about this, but they are a few years out of date. Thank you.

If you have an APRC or JFRV an offline or online teaching certificate will give you the power to have just about any teaching job you want.

If you are dependent on your school providing your ARC and that job requires the certification, then you need the certification to be offline, not online based on what I’ve heard in the past. Can anyone confirm current regulations please?

However, many teaching jobs can be obtained with only a university degree in any field. The certification is just icing on the cake.

You need a bachelor’s degree and a certificate.

It is sure that your degree should be offline. But, the certificate too?

Manual on MOE site doesn’t say the certificate should not be obtained through an online program.


To get an ARC at a buxiban or private school???
I don’t think so.
I know of dozens of people working legally at buxibnas or private schools with only a 4 year university degree.

Again, I question this.
I know of 3 people who got their 4 year degree from an online system. One did theirs through Ashford University and the other 2 did theirs through Phoenix University. Both were on the list of approved schools.

Many brick and mortar schools, state schools even in the USA offer distance education. When you get your diploma and transcripts, it says nothing about it being “online” or “distance learning”.

I am talking on the legal requirements to get a work permit as a regular school foreign teacher including private schools and excluding buxibans.

Foreign teachers with no certificate at private schools are with their own work permit/right and using some loopholes, such as it is too hard to find other appropriate teachers, hired for administrative jobs, etc., or working illegally. Regular schools cannot support ARC for foreign teachers with no certificate, except for international schools for foreign kids.

You wrote the answer. The regulation is they don’t accept a diploma via online course, but if the diploma you submit doesn’t say it, they cannot know.

Is the MOE looking at diplomas or teaching certificates or both?
If you have a state issued teaching certificate, doesn’t that suffice? Would the diploma or transcript even come into play? You can have a diploma in an educational field and still not be a licensed teacher.

both, and the diploma can be in a different field. Again, this is a requirement for a regular school teacher.

For a buxiban job, you don’t need a certificate.

There is a list of approved schools? Do you have a link?


The above thread might help.
If your school is not listed, your degree is not recognized. If your school is listed, they evaluate if your degree is equivalent to taiwanese degree.

1 Like

I’ve never taken a job at a private school, but I considered it a few years ago and after a lot of checking I found that you have to have a teaching certification issued by the ministry of education for whatever your region is. I would be surprised if even Arizona would issue you one without a teaching practicum, but I haven’t checked. If you do have fully valid teaching credentials and at least a BA/BS, I don’t see any reason it wouldn’t be accepted. It’s more likely an online program wouldn’t give you real teaching creds but just the ability to get on track to receive them in Arizona. That’s how online programs work on some states.

An easier route might be to get a substitute teaching certification, which would also fulfill the requirements for teaching in a public school in Taiwan. In some US states, you can get this without being in the state, though for all states you need FBI clearance and they need verified fingerprints and you can get all that done from Taiwan but it’s hard and takes time, especially if you’re not a US resident.

I decided I didn’t want to get up that early and didn’t like teaching anyway so I didn’t follow it past that. Let us know if you do.

This sounds more like for locals than foreigners. There is no agency called the ministry of education in the USA and schools here aren’t going to require you get certified in Taiwan.

I did a quick search of all the major private schools and looked at their employment requirements. Almost all of them stat “teaching certification preferred”. That means it isn’t required to be hired.

I’m not talking about the big international schools like TAS and TES and I’m not talking about public schools. I’m talking about private schools like Kangchiao, Wego, LiRen and Yuteh, etc.

You can get hired without certification as long as you have a university degree and they like you.

If private schools were limited to only hiring certified teachers, there would be a serious problem with not enough teachers to fill those positions.

The public schools are finding it hard to find enough certified teachers.

teaching certificate is not a legal requirement to get work permit for their teachers.

without your own work permit or its exemption? I think those who are hired with no certificate are not supported their ARC by schools. Regular schools cannot get work permit for foreign teachers who don’t have teaching certificates.

What do you mean by regular schools?

I’m telling you, I personally know if dozens of teachers who gave been hired by private schools without certification and the school sponsored their ARC.

There’s a lot of foreign places. If I had said department of education it would have irked someone else.

I haven’t checked, but it may no longer be required for private schools. I’ll ask if I ever see the recruiter guy I knew again. Probably best to find out from the school HR before taking a lot of unnecessary courses. Maybe the OP wants to broaden this choices. I’ve heard working in the private schools are worse than the public ones, though I can’t imagine how. I have a couple friends doing both and they love it.

were their ARC sponsored by the school? Or are their ARC currently sponsored by the school?

The current regulation does not allow public/private regular schools get work permit for foreign teachers with no certificate (or equivalent credentials when teachers come from countries that don’t issue certificate). If foreign teachers with no certificate are sponsored their ARC by the school, they most probably get their work permit as buxiban teachers and they are teaching at school illegally.

Current regulation

Regulations Governing Educational Institutions at All Levels Applying for Work Permits for Foreign Teachers and their Administration

The wording is peculiar.

  1. Qualified foreign language course teachers in public or advanced private schools below the public level.

  2. Public or established private experimental high school secondary school bilingual or bilingual school subject teachers.

What is meant by advanced private schools below the public level?


  1. A qualified foreign language course teacher at a public or registered private elementary school, junior high school, or senior secondary school.
  2. A teacher of academic courses at a public or registered private experimental senior secondary school’s bilingual department or at a public or registered private senior secondary bilingual school.

Regular schools cannot get work permit for foreign teachers who don’t have teaching certificates.

What do you mean by regular schools?

I’m telling you, I personally know if dozens of teachers who gave been hired by private schools without certification and the school sponsored their ARC."

Official private schools cannot hire professionals without teaching certification. Some schools do make exceptions for hard to find subjects and occasionally hire math or science teachers who aren’t qualified. If you’re not qualified, some schools give you a work permit for a cram school or something similar. Technically it’s illegal and you could run into trouble with immigration. I’ve heard of a few schools doing this. I recommend getting qualified if you want to work here long term. Because even if one of these schools accepts a non certified teacher, they will replace them as more and more are moving overseas.

Also, the public schools will not hire anyone without a certification… A BEd with a practical portion… No online degrees accepted

I came to Taiwan after getting Certified to teach in the USA. Public schools are desperate for Certified teachers because those are the only ones that they are allowed by the government to hire. Private schools aren’t obligated to hire Certified teachers but, I imagine, someone just moving to Taiwan without much teaching experience will find it difficult to find anything above a buxiban job. Being a Certified teacher can virtually guarantee you a job in Taiwan. Often times you can Skype an interview and have an offer waiting for you when you land in Taiwan. The recruiters can also assist you with finding housing and transportation, setting up a bank account, etc. I’ve seen adds that permit the use of a sub license in lue of Certification. It’s so easy that it is worth a try but I’m not sure how much that will boost your resume.

1 Like