TEACHERS! Gimme your preventative ways

Hiya.

I have been in Taiwan for almost five months now. I am teaching at a cram school that caters from ages 3-16, or Junior High age. I love the kids and I love this job. I love Taiwan. But I have been sick probably 60% of my time here. And I am SO SICK of being sick. Right now I have throat ulcers. wtf?

I noticed I was getting sick a lot so I started washing my hands in between every class, before I eat, I watch when I touch my face or eyes, and I really try to keep good hygiene in the classroom. Unfortunately, you canā€™t stop the kid from sneezing in your faceā€¦and no matter how hard I try, I canā€™t seem to get them to stop mining for boogers in their noses.

Anyways. Does anybody have advice on staying well? I am seriously sick every 2 weeks, itā€™s unreasonable. Give me your good teaching ways on wellness, please.

I had this same experience when I taught here. Itā€™s actually one of the main reasons I quit the job. But it sounds like youā€™re in it for the long haul, so.

You didnā€™t mention anything about your diet. Make sure youā€™re eating well-balanced meals with lots of colorful fruits and vegetables. Nutrition really matters. Regular exercise and a good sleep schedule, too. And if itā€™s only your first or second year here, you may just need to build up immunity for a while. Itā€™s a bummer, but at least itā€™s really easy and cheap to see the doctor here.

4 Likes

If itā€™s okay with your employer, you could wear a surgical mask (although I feel it depersonalizes the classroom environment if the teacher is wearing a mask, and muffles the speech which the students need to understand of course).

You could also buy some disinfectant wipes to keep on your person whenever snotty kids come into contact. My wife likes Happy Bebe. https://www.happybebe.com.tw

Even taking kids being kids into account, it seems odd youā€™d get sick as often as you say. Have you been to a doctor? You might have some underlying condition you need to have looked at.

1 Like

You build up tolerance after a while. Most people go through this coming to Taiwan, teaching just makes the process faster.

Pi-pa gao is a good thing to have around, you can mix it into hot water or just take it straight

Accept no imitations!

Also, find a good local ENT clinic. The kind of direct treatment wiping medicine on your tonsils, steam inhalation, etc. can cut down on recovery times when something starts cropping up.

5 Likes

5 months is a long time. Usually people are sick for the first month or so and then they build immunity.

1 Like

Forgive my ignorance, butā€¦ what is that?

1 Like

Itā€™s like herbal candy in a jar. Go get some

2 Likes

Like Ricola?

pretty much!

1 Like

That stuff should be marked world wide. Itā€™s better than NyQuill.

As for the OP, are you a smoker? Or occasionally imbibe? Maybe a visit to the doctor could check for acid reflux as a reason for the throat ulcers.

I teach 1st and 2nd graders at a cram school and am very ā€œpickyā€ about how they sneeze, cough, pick their loses, scratching their butts, and put their fingers/hands into their mouths.

From day one I get on their cases when I see them do this and I make it part of the lesson. I also try and attach a certain amount of shame when someone does it so they start getting on each others cases as well. Part of the problem, besides being very young and nobody teaching them about it, is that many of them live with family members who do this on a regular basis and view it as normal.

Anyhow, washing your hands before and after class is super important. Also, I convinced my boss to buy a large container of alcohol (which they conveniently store next to the studentsā€™ tooth paste and tooth brushes but thatā€™s another story). Every class I start off by spraying my desk and then I go around and spray all their hands. I sort of make it a game and they have to use English to ask me to ā€œpunpun my headā€ or ā€œpunpun my deskā€. Iā€™ve been doing this for a few years and rarely get sick. Once in a while the sniffles but nothing else.

If a kid is sick and not wearing a mask, I force them to wear one. Iā€™ll even put them in the back of the room if itā€™s bad enough. I show them how to cough into their shirts, arms, and away from me and their classmates. When they donā€™t do it, I get pissed. Take off points, no candy etc etc. Over time, most start to get it.

If I see one of them coming out of the bathroom without washing their hands, I give them shit.
When they sneeze in class and use their hands to cover it up, I open the door and make them go to the bathroom and wash their hands with soap and water. Sometimes I even have to show them how to wash their hands.

As a last resort, I avoid having them touch me as much as possible. I donā€™t want their hands coming near me, my desk, anything that is mine, or that I use.

Many Taiwanese are still unfamiliar with how bacteria and viruses spread. They seem to think that if you just wipe a table with a napkin after someone has spat on it, then all is fine. I see this all the time. Even at my job theyā€™re often mopping the floor with bleach, but thatā€™s not the problem. The desks, door handles and other areas that people touch on a regular basis are the problem areas. Iā€™ve tried to explain to them but itā€™s like talking to a wall.

3 Likes

I appreciate teaching the kids proper hygiene, but this is kinda sad, putting them in the back of the room like theyā€™re some kind of leperā€¦

1 Like

If a kid is walking around with an infection that is contagious, then isolating them is the best way to reduce the chances of spreading it. My school does this regularly as well. This is a great way for the kids to understand that when they are sick, they need to be super careful about who they come into contact with.

Waitā€¦ should the school even be allowing these kids into the classroom at all?

I thought that sick kids had to stay homeā€¦

1 Like

OHH OH OH OH! Is this supposed to be irony??

I have seen so many cases of pink eye, where the kids are still in school. I even saw a child with hand, foot, mouth diseaseā€¦STILL in school. Iā€™m pretty sure I may some sort of virus related to this right now, hence the throat ulcers and bumps. The kids are cute but disgusting, man. The parents send them sick or not.

1 Like

sounds great! Thanks for the advice! Whatā€™s your take on the Chinese Medicine Clinics? Just curious, as most are open on Sundays, but I donā€™t know if they will cure my illness or give me tea or somethingā€¦

Thank you. I do actually eat a lot of fruits. I could eat more veggies. We eat lunch almost everyday at the school and I have my own bowl and chopsticks, etcā€¦they serve cooked greens at almost every meal, but I donā€™t know if I am getting what I need, since they are so darn cooked. They taste good, but probs not the same as raw veggiesā€¦

I could exercise more as well. I do usually do a big hike or bike ride every weekend.

I think this is mostly a case of your immune system adapting to the germs in Taiwan (and the climate). It may take a year or two, depending on the original strength of your system. It took me almost six months the first time I came, and now I never get sick.

1 Like

Unfortunately I think a lot of parents canā€™t (or wonā€™t) take the day off work they need to stay home with a sick child.

When so many parents refuse to allow their kids to interfere with their careers, itā€™s clear where their priorities truly lie.

With a culture that places so little emphasis on family and raising kids, itā€™s little wonder that the birth rate is so low :frowning: